Swing Aesthetics: How Much Does It Matter?

Everyone has their own swing. Some look good and some don't. The key is getting it in the hole in the fewer strokes

the only truly awful swings that find success that I can think of are tommy gainey, jim thorpe, and eamon darcy. those are guys who look like hacks but make it work. the other less orthodox moves like furyk still hit good positions and have great rhythm.

I absolutely care how my swing looks. and I'm here to tell you there's nothing more disconcerting than actually seeing your swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could care less how it looks.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I've always had a swing people think looks "good", but I tend to worry a lot how about it looks simply because the better it looks the better the fundamental mechanics are...which leads to better ball striking.

If I had a swing that looked odd but I averaged 68, I'd be alright with it.

I think when done correctly the swing pretty much has to look good.

Same here. A good-looking swing is an effect rather than a cause.

Can't help it,I'm a swing ho.I want to look good which equates to playing good for me.Really been working at it the last few seasons and it is looking better.Also went from a 17 handicap down to a 10 in two seasons.So that must mean I'm seeking the right formula

I just want the ball to do what I intend it to do & control my tempo. If I do those two things I don't care how it looks

I would of course like my swing to look great but ultimately I have no problem if my swing looks ugly as long as it gets the ball in the hole. I give my brother crap all the time that he has one of the ugliest putting strokes I have ever seen but he is also one of the best putters I have seen.

Don't care about pretty or ugly, but I do care about flaws that make the swing hard to repeat. Sometimes those are one in the same and sometimes not.

Doesn't matter as long as you get it right when it gets to the ball. And by right, I mean repeatable.

How it looks means nothing. The results is all the counts.

I used to think it mattered. In my head, I had a swing like Faldo. Then when I saw it the first time on film and saw it was nothing like Faldo's. Now, I don't care. It's all about getting the ball in the hole.

I don't care much what my swing looks like. But you very rarely see a very good ball striker who has an ugly swing, so they usually seem to go hand in hand.

My swing has always looked better than it is to the average eye. I'd rather it be the other way.

Yes and no, I don't care if the complete swing looks like a 10 but I know which parts of the swing need to look like to be consistent and its those parts/points that I care about. If those points in the swing look good then the rest of the swing will look alright.

We all have different builds, flexibility and time to dedicate to swing work and that's what creates our unique swing.

I believe there is a correlation between an eye pleasing swing motion and low scores.You don't notice a lot of huge ott/cast golf swingers shooting under par to often.Just my opinion from watching and participating in this great game

Yes and no, I don't care if the complete swing looks like a 10 but I know which parts of the swing need to look like to be consistent and its those parts/points that I care about. If those points in the swing look good then the rest of the swing will look alright.

We all have different builds, flexibility and time to dedicate to swing work and that's what creates our unique swing.
What parts?

If the results are good, doesn't matter what the swing looks like to me. All that matters is that it's repeatable. Something I'm striving for.

What parts?

For my swing it's takeaway, position at the top and how my upper and lower body move that I worry about. Setup is crucial as well but it's not a moving part of the swing.

For my swing it's takeaway, position at the top and how my upper and lower body move that I worry about. Setup is crucial as well but it's not a moving part of the swing.

Ok good.Im learning as I read these threads.So far my instructor said to focus on 5 positions on film.

DTL/ backswing- handle will point inside the ball line
transition- handle will point outside the ball line
transition- club shaft laying on right forearm at hip high
post impact- club face never looks flipped until leaving belt high view

Caddy view - Impact- hands leading the clubhead at impact

How does this list sound to monitor?

I couldn't care less. I have been compared to a typhoon, tornado and an octopus swatting flies. I love seeing unique swings work well.

I would love to have a picture perfect swing but, as long I can hit the ball consistent and where I want to, I'm good.

The results should be the only focus. Golf is more than a swing. And it's about getting the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible.

Means nada, zip, zilch.

Those that have seen me swing know this without question.

Plus it's fun kicking ass with an ugly swing. :)

Doesn't matter to me. I'll take Furyk's swing any day.

Back