Regional Rivalry question

4' is not a give me range normally. Gotta putt it out.

I'd consider giving the putt. Heat of the moment I might not give it, but I'd consider.

Same here. It really depends on several factors and I couldn't say what I would do until the moment occurs.

No. You never give a match deciding putt away. Ever. It could be a foot and you're still putting. Same with birdie putts.

4th hole and it's good-good for both pars, sure all day. But not on 18.

I say putt it. I would fully expect to have to putt a 4 footer, especially in RR competition.

Last hole you always putt out if its to win the match

I would say putt. I have seen people miss putts closer.

Which NFL coach was it that said "you play to win the game"? Either way, I would make them putt it out in both situations. Also, I would expect if the shoe was on the other foot my opponent would make me putt it out. Its all part of the game.

There is no question with 4 foot putts. You putt them out, no good good, even more so with your tap in and a 4 foot putt for them. All for sportsmanship but not charity

I think there's a place for "good good" on 4 footers - just ask Canadan and fupresti, but it's not on the last hole for the match.

4' is pretty far. Very early in the match I might go good good, that late, no way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which NFL coach was it that said "you play to win the game"? Either way, I would make them putt it out in both situations. Also, I would expect if the shoe was on the other foot my opponent would make me putt it out. Its all part of the game.

Herm Edwards

Everyone needs to putt 4 footers

By the time RR rolls around to all the regions, many hours by those involved will have been invested in organizing, picking teams, match ups, following threads, travel & insane practice schedules. I would feel cheated if the putt was given to me for the tie. I would feel like I am cheating someone else, the event and sponsors if we went good/good. If I missed the final putt that cost my team the win I would be crushed...gutted..... but when I make it.... That is why I so badly want to be part of this. I really want the win.. But I want to compete just as much.

I'll say this. THP events are all about sportsmanship and while we won't tell people what to give and when, if we see people putting out from a foot, you better believe we just may step in.

I'll say this. THP events are all about sportsmanship and while we won't tell people what to give and when, if we see people putting out from a foot, you better believe we WILL step in.

FIFY boss. I've witnessed firsthand. :act-up:

I'll say this. THP events are all about sportsmanship and while we won't tell people what to give and when, if we see people putting out from a foot, you better believe we just may step in.
Exactly no one here is on tour we are here for the friendships and fun of golf. While I want to win just as bad as anyone it is more important to me to do it the right way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Making someone putt from a foot is worse than giving a 4 footer

Everyone needs to putt 4 footers

That strategy was taken on me in the last Morgan Cup as it tends to be my kryptonite from time to time. But by the end of the match Trout looked at me and goes, "I was suppose to make you putt all those 3-4 footers but you kept putting it so close to the hole that I never got the chance!" LOL. Got to admit, it felt good spoiling that plan of his! :D

FIFY boss. I've witnessed firsthand. :act-up:

Turns out it didn't matter, but making someone putt it out from 18" was a terrible idea.

Turns out it didn't matter, but making someone putt it out from 18" was a terrible idea.

Ummm plus you don't want that reputation. I remember that one time a few years ago.

Ummm plus you don't want that reputation. I remember that one time a few years ago.
Pretty sure I'd feel worse about forcing a competitor to make a 12" putt (which they then miss), than missing a 12" putt I was forced to make. I wouldn't want to lose that way, but I most assuredly wouldn't want to win that way either. Say what you will about all the prep for RR, I need to look myself in the mirror that evening and know I was a gracious opponent.

ETA: As I said earlier, I assume there will be a tie-breaking mechanism in place, and if that meant I needed to grind out a win in the 19th, 20th, 21st hole of the match ... so be it!

Pretty sure I'd feel worse about forcing a competitor to make a 12" putt (which they then miss), than missing a 12" putt I was forced to make. I wouldn't want to lose that way, but I most assuredly wouldn't want to win that way either. Say what you will about all the prep for RR, I need to look myself in the mirror that evening and know I was a gracious opponent.

Definitely agree. If it's a 12" inch putt you don't even have to ask if it's good. I know it's the rules in match play.

From that distance (4 foot), match on the line, I'd putt it out.

Boy do I need you around when I'm playing with my wife, she makes me putt everything, and laughs (she's evil) as she walks away not caring if I make it or not.

If 1 side is 1UP or more I say halve the hole if that's the way the day went with gimmes. If AS on the 18th green, I would putt it out.....But, Full disclaimer if my putt is conceded as I am first to putt from the similar distance I have no moral choice to make than to concede the opponents putt as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back