What piece of equipment did you learn the most from?

mpeterson

Team THP for Life
Reaction score
Handicap
Sitting here thinking about the various clubs in my bag, and I was thinking of the setup I ended up with at the Grandaddy. And one thing that came to mind is had I not played those Honma Beres irons for a year, I'd have pushed back on the shaft choice during the fitting and gone with what I'd been playing for years. I hit some of the best partial iron shots I've ever hit with those SGI irons, with 55g shafts.

To me, those had me tacking back toward forgiveness after playing a bit more "players" setup for a while, and also had me rethinking shaft setup and what works for my game.

So what piece of equipment have you tried, whether it be a demo, a fitting, a forum testing, or playing out of a friend's bag that had you learn a bit more about your game and rethink what you thought "works" for you?

When I hit a hybrid correctly the first time and knew that it’s way easier for me than long irons. Or first time I hit a modern driver versus the old wooden headed ones. Yes, I’m that old.

The first time I used a hybrid it immediately I became sold and started a process where I began saying good-bye to my long irons

Cobra F7 5W

Still in my bag and it’s given the confidence/knowledge to play more fairways vs hybrids

Also the baffler tech is LEGIT

I think when I was fit into a '16 M2 with a Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 I sort of realized that I had been barking up the wrong tree for years. Prior to that I was playing all these tip soft shafts like the Kusala White trying to solve my low launch and spin issues.

Ever since then I have a much more open mind to all possibilities and I accept that sometimes the counter-intuitive solution is in fact, the solution.

G400 Crossover. I think I need to live with utility irons in the long iron spots and completely look past hybrids. The wide sole works well out of the rough and strange lies. Ball gets up nice and high.

Just much more consistent for me. After playing it last year, now I really want to look at the Srixon utilities in other lofts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago - Callaway Razr Black 5 wood. I had never had one. Changed my game. 5 wood is now a staple in my set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

three come to mind.

cobra forged tec black irons in the 2018 morgan cup. i loved the look and feel, but on the course i was really struggling at first. took them to check something, and found out the swingweight was light. i guess the argument could be i’ve never worried about sw before and shot some decent scores. but now it’s something i think about a lot.

718 ap2. it’s a club i have wanted for awhile. thought my game was coming around and i could “handle” it. i couldn’t. making me embrace the forgiveness i desperately need.

ping g400 max. having a driver i have confidence in again has made golf fun again. i learned that i need spin and launch and the right weight, then i can set myself up to score.

fun thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cobra F7 5W

Still in my bag and it’s given the confidence/knowledge to play more fairways vs hybrids

Also the baffler tech is LEGIT

I have bagged a Cobra Baffler XL 5W for some time now. It's one heck of club

Hitting the TS2 3 wood and being able to launch it better than any other 3 wood I've hit opened up my eyes.

Back