Dallas - Fort Worth Golf Recommendations

Sweethebs

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey DFW Thp’ers I was hoping you could help me out with some recommendations. I subscribed to your thread and it is a lot of fun following. You have a great group of guys and a nice active thread…makes me want to move to Big D. My buddy and I are escaping the Minnesota / Wisconsin cold weather and will be in the area from March 3-5. We will likely be doing 18 on Thursday, 36 on Friday and then possibly 36 on Saturday. When I looked up top courses with good ratings in the area you get Tierra Verde, The Tribute, Cowboys Golf Club, Texas Star, Golf Club of Dallas…the list goes on and on.

I would love to get a local’s perspective on where to play. We are on vacation, away from the wives and kids, so the course and experience is more important than cost. Once we nail it down I would love to see if any of you would be interested in joining us.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations.

Hope you enjoy the trip!

I'm playing Tierra Verde tomorrow so I can chime back in with course conditions this weekend.

You have a solid list there, would also add Stevens Park to the list of consideration. Hopefully I can join you guys for a round!

That would be awesome. I will add Stevens Park to the list.

In order from top to bottom:

Cowboys Golf Club
Texas Star
Old American/Tribute
Bridlewood

You can do the 36 at Old American/Tribute as they are 300 yards apart!

You could do Cowboys and Bridlewood as 36 but if you play Cowboys I might urge you just to do the 36 out there as it's all inclusive and you can eat and drink out there all day for the price.

I would play Texas Star if you could too. Great track.

I will add Stevens Park to the list.
Don't come all the way down here and play that course. That would be further down the list.

Do you know if there is a replay rate at the Cowboys Club?

Yep, $45 if I recall correctly. If any DFW course is worthy of 36/day then Cowboys is the one.

Pretty solid replies from the locals:

Can't go wrong with:
Olde American/Tribute for 36
Texas Star
Cowboys
Tierra Verde (National Audubon Society approved)
Bridlewood
Sky Creek Ranch
Stevens Park (no range)

Play where the pros play:
TPC Las Colinas (might have to be a guest to play) - Byron Nelson
TPC Craig Ranch - Web.com and other USGA/PGA qualifiers
Lakes at Castle Hills - Web.com (It recently went private. But, wouldn't hurt to call and see if they let you play. Especially if it's a week day request. Several tour players are members here. It was a public->private club.)

History buffs: Cedar Crest held the '27 PGA

Worth the drive: Pine Dunes Resort & Golf Club

2015 Best DFW Public: http://www.myavidgolfer.com/issues/2016/1601agdfw/best-of-public-2015.aspx?p=1

Thanks a ton for the responses. You have so many great choices it just means that i am going to need to make another trip down. At this point i am looking at Tierra on Thursday....Cowboys all day Friday and Texas star or Bridlewood on Saturday. Once we get the times i will certainly post in the DFW thread to see if there is any interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In order from top to bottom:

Cowboys Golf Club
Texas Star
Old American/Tribute
Bridlewood

You can do the 36 at Old American/Tribute as they are 300 yards apart!

You could do Cowboys and Bridlewood as 36 but if you play Cowboys I might urge you just to do the 36 out there as it's all inclusive and you can eat and drink out there all day for the price.

I would play Texas Star if you could too. Great track.

Don't come all the way down here and play that course. That would be further down the list.
This would pretty much be my choices, except I have not played Texas Star. Heard good things about it but never played it.

Another thought if you want to get in some golf in the evening is Top Golf. Think there are three in the area now, and a great place to hit a few balls and have a beer and a meal. One is located real close to Tribute/Old American.

While playing Grapevine a week ago I could see the fairways for Cowboys....and they were a DARK green....so envious. I would definitely recommend 36 there as opposed to a Cowboys then Bridlewood outing. While Bridlewood is a nice track, it is nothing compared to Cowboys.

This would pretty much be my choices, except I have not played Texas Star. Heard good things about it but never played it.

Well, we are going to have to change that then! #StarInSpring

I may be a resident by that point

k8D5E_f-maxage-0.gif

Well, we are going to have to change that then! #StarInSpring

Have you played it since they changed the greens from bent to Bermuda? I have not. But, a buddy of mine is a member out there. He is not real happy with it. Says the green contouring was not designed for Bermuda.

That would be awesome. I will add Stevens Park to the list.

Played Tierra Verde yesterday and I would say conditions are decent. Fairways are dormant, greens are green but running a bit slow. If you're staying over in Dallas I'm not sold on it being worth the drive especially if paying full rack rate. Better options out there.

Thanks. That is good to know. Any thoughts on Waterchase?

Thanks again. At this point I have decided to keep it simple. We are playing Cowboys Thursday and Friday afternoons and will likely plan on playing Texas Star Friday and Saturday morning.

Thanks again. At this point I have decided to keep it simple. We are playing Cowboys Thursday and Friday afternoons and will likely plan on playing Texas Star Friday and Saturday morning.

If your schedule allows, have a lunch or dinner at Texas Star. They have a great restaurant. Not over-priced. Someone in the group must order the chicken fried steak.

Yep, $45 if I recall correctly. If any DFW course is worthy of 36/day then Cowboys is the one.

Concur - the sausage alone is worth the price of admission. Plus it's over seeded so the conditions will be superior to virtually anything you can play in North Texas in early March.

Have you played it since they changed the greens from bent to Bermuda? I have not. But, a buddy of mine is a member out there. He is not real happy with it. Says the green contouring was not designed for Bermuda.

They have slowed down significantly since the switch over. They are always in nice shape but they are babying the new greens. I was told the first 24 months not to expect optimal green speeds until they feel comfortable cutting them all the way down and regularly rolling them. They still have some collar issues as well were the mini verde bleeds into the bent.

The design however is a winner, if only the landfill wasn't upwind!

Back