Whose waiting for head-to-head comparisons before buying?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I've seen a number of reviews on drivers and hybrids done by the usual guys, Shiels, Crossfield, Robinson, and others, but I'm more interested in seeing a head-to-head with competing products by a more mainstream tester before I decide which might be worth looking more closely at. For example, you see some youtube videos comparing Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19, but where are the Apex 16 vs Apex 19 comparisons? None to be found as far as I can tell.

Seems like the early reviews of drivers have proven only one thing... it's much harder to create something revolutionary than it is to create something evolutionary. Even Callaway's investment in a supercomputer did not yield "wow" results. At least, not for the average golfer.

I want to see some head-to-head with irons, hybrids, woods, and drivers before I make a move. From early results, you could easily drop a 1/2 a grand for a new driver and not get any more than you have with your current driver.

Testing is fun to read, but I've found the most meaningful head-to-head comparisons by far are the ones for which I'm swinging the clubs.

I'll watch them if I see it posted, but I prefer to hit them side by side. I was set on moving to the i210s but the 2 yards carry done nothing for me and the feel wasn't really any different so I didn't change.

I just recently learned of Shiels and although he does a good show I’m only concerned with how I swing the club in my hands. THP is a cheat sheet in that it gives me stuff to get excited about and stuff to delete from the list

I love to do quick driver comparos with nothing but numbers, but at the end of the day the only "head to heads" that should truly influence your buying are the ones you do during your own testing IMO.

I wait until I've done the H2H comparative testing myself. I don't find the you tubers reviews to be nearly as valuable as the reviews and comparisons posted by THPers. You tubers provide info and I watch some of them, but more for entertainment. Suffices until I can get my hands on the new stuff.

I will be doing a head to head to head tomorrow.. can't wait to see if there is any significant difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Im a much bigger believer in education of technology and product and then let the golfer determine which is best.
I am not a fan of rankings and most are "interesting" anyway.

The best part of this is, anybody can do this. Most major stores have loads of products. Grab a couple, hit their launch monitor or range and see which one comes out on top.

i’m confused by op. do you want someone else to compare products head to head, or are you just saying that your own purchase decisions won’t be made until you conduct your own comparisons?

txg golf recently did a video comparing flash to rogue. i thought that was a nice comparison video.

something else to think about is how many places are keeping older clubs around for these types of tests? i wouldn’t think many.

for me, i know i should compare before buying, but i rarely do. it’s usually buy-and-pray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've seen a number of reviews on drivers and hybrids done by the usual guys, Shiels, Crossfield, Robinson, and others, but I'm more interested in seeing a head-to-head with competing products by a more mainstream tester before I decide which might be worth looking more closely at. For example, you see some youtube videos comparing Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19, but where are the Apex 16 vs Apex 19 comparisons? None to be found as far as I can tell.

Seems like the early reviews of drivers have proven only one thing... it's much harder to create something revolutionary than it is to create something evolutionary. Even Callaway's investment in a supercomputer did not yield "wow" results. At least, not for the average golfer.

I want to see some head-to-head with irons, hybrids, woods, and drivers before I make a move. From early results, you could easily drop a 1/2 a grand for a new driver and not get any more than you have with your current driver.

Michael Newton usually does a lot of previous gen vs current gen stuff.

I've made 99% of my purchases blindly so I'm on board with the OP.

I research equipment geared toward my known preferences and semi-repeated flaws. I'll read and view videos voraciously looking for trends to the positive and/or negative.

If enough people harp upon forgiveness with toe contact with driver and forgiveness low on the face and toe contact with irons, my interest will be piqued and I'll dig deeper.

When it comes to equipment that I already like, I prefer it when the new release is specifically compared to the prior. No one person's opinion will ever sway me but a virtual consensus sure may.

I'll do this rather than hit them for myself for a few reasons. One, it's fun for me. Two, I'll usually wait for year old releases to purchase. Last, my range swing or hitting into a net swing is not my on course swing and never has been.

i’m confused by op. do you want someone else to compare products head to head, or are you just saying that your own purchase decisions won’t be made until you conduct your own comparisons?

txg golf recently did a video comparing flash to rogue. i thought that was a nice comparison video.

something else to think about is how many places are keeping older clubs around for these types of tests? i wouldn’t think many.

for me, i know i should compare before buying, but i rarely do. it’s usually buy-and-pray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

obviously, the final decision will be made based on your own experience with the club assuming you get fit for the clubs you are interested in. However, instead of watching Shiels or Crossfield compare the Epic Flash and Epic Flash SZ, I'd much rather see them compare the Epich Flash with the Rogue or Epic. This would provide us with much better information as to how much improvement we "might" see by upgrading to a new driver.

I watch the youtube reviews just for the entertainment value, but if they are comparing prior models to the new models, I pretty much watch them and forget them.

I do think we find much better information on this forum.

I wonder if THP has ever thought of breaking the forum into sections for low handicappers (under 10), mid handicappers (11-20), and high handicappers (above 20)? It would be much easier to find reviews and information relevant to your current playing ability.

I enjoy watching watching the comparisons and educating myself. I enjoy the THP reviews because I find its more relevant to a guy like myself.
Now that I made the plunge and purchased a gc2, I’d like to compare clubs myself but not sure if Golftown will let me take clubs home to compare.

IMO comparisons are of limited value. They aren't, after all, comparing clubs using YOUR swing. Add in the shaft and all the adjustability options on clubs today and a side-by-side comparison is of even less value. Some of the magazines do club testing using a bunch of volunteers of different abilities whom they fit into a variety of clubs and then have them offer their opinions. Again, they aren't using YOUR swing. Their opinions may be very valid for them, but not for someone else. I get a kick at how they usually list and group testers by handicap as if everyone in a handicap bracket has a similar swing. It just isn't so.

I think that head-to-head is valuable for me, but the final decision is when I compare head-to-head myself

I find them interesting, but they are just another piece of information.

For me, the comparison that matters is the one that I have.

Going to have to do the head to head testing myself to see if any of the new offerings are going to help out my game. Don't get me wrong I watch a lot of the head to head comparisons but it still comes down to my swing and if it will work for me.

Back