The Completely Irrational Golf Beliefs Thread

I believe that forged irons feel better than cast irons
I TOTALLY believe this as well and there is no convincing me otherwise.

If i practice every day and play at least 18 I can qualify for the PA amatuer. (12 handicap) Somehow at 59 I will gain enough distance to reach par 5's in 2.

I'm in the same boat, except I'm not as old as TB, haha! I've owned a couple TM drivers but have never cared for them. Sometimes it seems like they're the FanDuel/DraftKings of golf club manufacturers.
I love TM and a pretty big fan of Draftkings since online poker pretty much got blown up. Daily Fantasy golf is awesome, won't touch baseball or basketball though.

These are a great read so far. Thanks everybody for the entertainment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[QUOTEDo you continue to believe something even though you know it to be false? ][/QUOTE]

You mean like "Muligans"?

I irrationally believe that just because I find the green in regulation, a par or better is a given.

I can, have and will find a way to turn a 'sure thing' into a bogey or worse.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

Do you continue to believe something even though you know it to be false? Here's your chance to come clean. To be clear - these are IRRATIONAL beliefs, so there's no point in others pointing out that any of us are wrong. That's the point, we know (or should know) we are wrong but we still feel a certain way.

I will start. I know Odyssey is the market leader in the category. I know they make really good gear (My 1st two putters were Odysseys and they were good). But somehow I have an irrational gut feeling their putters are lower quality / cheap.

Okay, I can't be the only one. Who else? What's your irrational golf belief?

You're right they are cheap. Joking. Lol

Fading the ball and it being bad or that you can't hit as long as a draw, is a myth I prescribed to until the last few years.

I haven't stepped in front of a birdie in 20+ years until yesterday! I bought a round of drinks for everyone at the turn to make up for it. It won't happen again.

A guy did this to me recently, I try not to be superstitious but I bogeyed the next hole, lol.

I'm in the same boat, except I'm not as old as TB, haha! I've owned a couple TM drivers but have never cared for them. Sometimes it seems like they're the FanDuel/DraftKings of golf club manufacturers.

The funny thing about my anti-TM sentiment is I played my best golf with the same set TM irons from 1980 to 1999 and my two first metal drivers were from Taylormade. For whatever reason, I won't even consider a driver or fairway wood from TM anymore.

That I can get thru winter and keep the same swing consistency as during the previous season even though I may only hit balls at the range or play a handful of times.

Mine may or may not be true but it doesn't make sense.

I play better when I don't play too much

I can't hit an iron that has offset because I am convinced it will go straight left.
Piggy backing here. I totally agree with this one.

The funny thing about my anti-TM sentiment is I played my best golf with the same set TM irons from 1980 to 1999 and my two first metal drivers were from Taylormade. For whatever reason, I won't even consider a driver or fairway wood from TM anymore.

I will say that one of my favorite FWs was the TM V-Steel. Aside from that though, I haven't cared for any of their other offerings!

That only good golfers should own/use staff bags

I use to think this way. Then once my handicap dropped, I finally brought one. Should have done it from the start. I love the space in them for one.

I work with a guy who feels that expensive golf shoes should only be worn by 'better players'. He is always complaining about how his feet hurt after a game. I had tried my best to get him into some Ecco shoes.

My irrational belief is when I miss putts its because you talked to my ball. Don't talk to my ball, he has his own agenda!

I believe that forged irons feel better than cast irons. I know it's been disproven but I can't shake it.

Hopefully the thread doesn't burn down.
Worse, I don't believe they innately feel better but I subconsciously narrow all of my iron searches down to forged irons right off the bat.

We're a weird species, aren't we? :shrug:

This isn't mine, but my dad doesn't like going to the range before playing because he thinks he "wastes all his good shots."

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I can't hit an iron that has offset because I am convinced it will go straight left.
Ohhh this used to be me so hard

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That stepping in someone's putting line on the green actually has any impact on the roll of their putt. I don't do it, and never will, but other than the nicest or wet greens, feel that it has no effect.

That stepping in someone's putting line on the green actually has any impact on the roll of their putt. I don't do it, and never will, but other than the nicest or wet greens, feel that it has no effect.

Foot draggers and a**holes who golf in the adidazero shoes though.

This isn't mine, but my dad doesn't like going to the range before playing because he thinks he "wastes all his good shots."

My wife believes this to be true also.

I'm trying hard to embrace my natural shot shape, but mine is.
Draw=good
Fade=bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes its just irrational things that seem to happen

like - everyone complains the round is slow........yet no one in it is actually slow

I believe that even though I have been playing this game for almost 40 years, that I will get my first hole in one, this year....ok...maybe next year...or....

That I can place a shot between two trees.

Back