2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
10-4, I'm not working out Friday, I may have to start designating two days a week, as off days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would. You're a busy dude with travel and the obvious family time, being burnt out all the time would simply suck. Gym time should be fun and id guess your workouts will start to reflect that over time. All about balance but you don't need me to tell you that, think you're older than me hahaha I'm confident you'll get it settled.

I would. You're a busy dude with travel and the obvious family time, being burnt out all the time would simply suck. Gym time should be fun and id guess your workouts will start to reflect that over time. All about balance but you don't need me to tell you that, think you're older than me hahaha I'm confident you'll get it settled.

Ya idk man, I was planning on taking yesterday off, but my son wanted me to go to gym with him so I could watch him climb the rock wall. So I wasn't going to not work out. And idk I'm only 29, just feel much older at times lol.

Ya idk man, I was planning on taking yesterday off, but my son wanted me to go to gym with him so I could watch him climb the rock wall. So I wasn't going to not work out. And idk I'm only 29, just feel much older at times lol.

Haha say listen boy we need rest days for our gainz. Oh and at 29 we are pretty close but I'll still call you sir if you wish.

Back was killing me all day and I didn't do half the things I wanted to. Stretched for a solid half hour and it's still in freakin pain and it's not from lifting. I'm going to kill it tomorrow.

4 miles run tonight. Got into a really good groove and felt great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nice dude. I just cant get past the mental hurdle of running.
The first mile and half was rough. But got ran past if and just kept on going. Think Forrest gump haha.
4 miles?! Was somebody chasing you?
Actually a lady came up behind with a dog and freaked my dog out so kinda.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lol

1b819c2f8b5d7c937cbaf87eb8b3184d.jpg

So, after a full miss on starting in January, I'm sticking to my plan for February, so far. Treadmill and elliptical work for the first 2 weeks, then drop one of the cardio days for a weights day for another 2 weeks, then drop another cardio day and replace with another weights day.

You're close. You're missing depth by a few inches. That's because your knees travel forward the entire time. Get them in place 1/3 to 1/2 way into your decent. Get your knees to their spot early and leave them there. Once the knees are set, think hips back and not down. You also need to get your chest bigger before you start your decent. Simple things to think about:

Proud chest
Knees and hips together
Then just hips
Hip drive for glory.

Keep your head stiller. I posted a video yesterday about using a TUBOW (terribly useful block of wood). Watch it. If your gym doesn't have a block of wood, use a foam roller.

You will need to Deload, take 20 lbs off of the bar. Bar placement looks good. Maybe widen the hands for comfort for now. Make sure you're locking out your presses and skip rows and do chins/lat pull downs instead.

I usually am pretty focused on not pushing my knees out past my toes but I guess I will give it a bit more attention.

I saw my physiotherapist yesterday and I passes all the tests for the major muscles and such, but she diagnosed my shoulder/upper arm pain as having a very very tight posterior capsule. Will be doing stretches everyday to try and loosen that up.

Regarding my squat though, I don't know why but I'm having a tough time envisioning how to have a "proud" chest, but stay bent over enough to keep the bar from sliding.

Along with that, when I tried further sets, the bar was slipping off my back, presumably from now not holding the bar with my hands, but do I need to have more back tilt as well to keep it balanced?

Haha say listen boy we need rest days for our gainz. Oh and at 29 we are pretty close but I'll still call you sir if you wish.

Finally a young whippersnapper showing his elders respect, of course you can call me sir!

I usually am pretty focused on not pushing my knees out past my toes but I guess I will give it a bit more attention.

I saw my physiotherapist yesterday and I passes all the tests for the major muscles and such, but she diagnosed my shoulder/upper arm pain as having a very very tight posterior capsule. Will be doing stretches everyday to try and loosen that up.

Regarding my squat though, I don't know why but I'm having a tough time envisioning how to have a "proud" chest, but stay bent over enough to keep the bar from sliding.

Along with that, when I tried further sets, the bar was slipping off my back, presumably from now not holding the bar with my hands, but do I need to have more back tilt as well to keep it balanced?

Your knees have to get past your toes. Unless you have very short femurs, which you do not. The knees have to get out there otherwise they will be under a lot of stress and the hip drive out of the hole will be close to none. Knees have to get there quickly and stay there for as long as possible.

When I say proud chest, what I want you to think about is creating a line from your head to your tail bone, almost like there is a piece or wood connecting those two spots. The "proud chest" cue is really about using your lumbar and thoracic musculature to keep the chest from collapsing on the way down and at the bottom. Proud chest is one cue, present your boobs is another but it uncouth. This creates a powerful tension so your hamstrings don't slack on the way down. I don't want you to stand up to make your chest proud, I want you to feel your elbows go up a little and your chest to get a little bit bigger. Every muscle running along your spine will feel tight.

My squats from last night. There's some knee slide on a few reps which needs to get cleaned up. Other than that I am happy.

[video=youtube;60-rJM3SJCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-rJM3SJCc[/video]

Managed 1 set of 5 at 350lb and 2 sets of 5 at 315.

Got through 60 minutes of cardio. 45 minutes on the eliptical, and 15 minutes rowing. It has been about 15-20 years since that last time I have done 60 minutes of cardio in a single workout so I am really happy with where my fitness levels are right now. Still work to be done.

Got through 60 minutes of cardio. 45 minutes on the eliptical, and 15 minutes rowing. It has been about 15-20 years since that last time I have done 60 minutes of cardio in a single workout so I am really happy with where my fitness levels are right now. Still work to be done.
Nice man. Cardio is ugh hahaha I'm trying to add a bit into my routine just to improve my endurance and overall health but damn I don't like it.

Nice man. Cardio is ugh hahaha I'm trying to add a bit into my routine just to improve my endurance and overall health but damn I don't like it.
What do you mean "overall health"? Are people who do a lot of hard cardio healthier?

I have to admit at the 40 minute mark, I came up with about 20 different reasons in my head to stop right then. Haha

Glad I pushed through it.

What do you mean "overall health"? Are people who do a lot of hard cardio healthier?
As far as cardiovascular health, absolutely.

You are killing it. You are gonna be a beast

As far as cardiovascular health, absolutely.
I'm not counting the morbidly obese, the inactive, or the drug users, but I thought the greatest factor for heart disease was genetics? I could be wrong. Admittedly, cardio bores me and doesn't seem as useful.

I'm not counting the morbidly obese, the inactive, or the drug users, but I thought the greatest factor for heart disease was genetics? I could be wrong. Admittedly, cardio bores me and doesn't seem as useful.
Genetics plays a role but improving our cardiovascular health isn't a bad thing. I know we've talked about different goals but I'm trying to be well rounded. Benching 300+ doesn't appeal to me if I'm out of breath after a jog or if im skiing.

Genetics plays a role but improving our cardiovascular health isn't a bad thing. I know we've talked about different goals but I'm trying to be well rounded. Benching 300+ doesn't appeal to me if I'm out of breath after a jog or if im skiing.
Right. I believe the biggest factor is diet in all honesty. I also believe that there needs to be a trade off. You can either be really strong with limited long distance cardio capabilities, really good at running a long time and weak, or a balance of the two.

I am also of the belief that there is no drawback to being strong. A really good program will be a mix of strength training and conditioning work. But that is really difficult for most people because of the time constraints.

Right. I believe the biggest factor is diet in all honesty. I also believe that there needs to be a trade off. You can either be really strong with limited long distance cardio capabilities, really good at running a long time and weak, or a balance of the two.

I am also of the belief that there is no drawback to being strong. A really good program will be a mix of strength training and conditioning work. But that is really difficult for most people because of the time constraints.
All I know is that I'm trying to stay lean, improve my endurance and of course continue to get stronger. I'm not competing and not trying to impress anyone with my numbers so as long as I can improve a little in those areas, I'll smile and be happy.

All I know is that I'm trying to stay lean, improve my endurance and of course continue to get stronger. I'm not competing and not trying to impress anyone with my numbers so as long as I can improve a little in those areas, I'll smile and be happy.
Oh of course. Doing a combination of those things is difficult. But it is doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back