Order of Importance When Buying a New Club

7. Tour Presence
6. OEM Marketing/Advertising
4. Reviews from "professional reviewers", such as Rick Shiels
1. Reviews from normal golfers, such as those on THP
5. Looks
2. Price
3. Customization Options (shaft, grip, etc.)

Last edited:
This is a fun topic but I’m confused by the normal guys vs professional reviewers part.

This is a fun topic but I’m confused by the normal guys vs professional reviewers part.

I’m going to venture a guess it’s the guys who make their livelihood on it vs the guys who do it for the love of the game. Or maybe it’s the PGA guys that do the reviews vs non.

I’d love to see how many people would play bomb tech or something similar if it was truly better performance for you...I just don’t believe it, sorry.

I don't either.

People may call me biased but here is my list in order:

1) THP reviews and comments from active THPers (mostly because you get the information and the availability to discuss and ask more questions.)
2) Looks
3) customization options
4) Price
4a) other reviews from “pros” who show me what equipment will do in the hands of a near scratch players hands.
5) OEM marketing (I love a good story)
18) what way the wind is blowing
55) stock head cover
89) tour presence

People may call me biased but here is my list in order:

1) THP reviews and comments from active THPers (mostly because you get the information and the availability to discuss and ask more questions.)
2) Looks
3) customization options
4) Price
4a) other reviews from “pros” who show me what equipment will do in the hands of a near scratch players hands.
5) OEM marketing (I love a good story)
18) what way the wind is blowing
55) stock head cover
89) tour presence

Haha. Where does how you hit it on that fancy quad of yours fit in?

Haha. Where does how you hit it on that fancy quad of yours fit in?

In the top three for sure. I would say #1 but sometimes if there are a few that are close I chose based on irrational criteria. I’m only human (and a normal golfer).

Great thread. For me, it's the following.

Looks
Performance
"professional reviewers"
Golf forums.

Tour usage and advertising doesn't mean anything to me. As to why I value Mark Crossfields of this world over forums, it's pretty simple. You can see the numbers, see the swing, see the strike point, hear the noise it makes. Whilst I like jmans reviews, I don't know how he swings. As for bias, Mark is pretty clear, he says he is sponsored in basically every test. Always says to go and get fit. Very repeatable swing.

There has been a lot of discussion around "tour presence" of various club types in the past few days in multiple threads. So it got me thinking, how do you rate the following factors when seeking out a new club purchase?

1. Tour Presence
2. OEM Marketing/Advertising
3. Reviews from "professional reviewers", such as Rick Shiels
4. Reviews from normal golfers, such as those on THP
5. Looks
6. Price
7. Customization Options (shaft, grip, etc.)

If I am being 100 percent honest
1) Looks
2)Reviews from Dean, James, Dan and other friends.
3) Customization

End of list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been a lot of discussion around "tour presence" of various club types in the past few days in multiple threads. So it got me thinking, how do you rate the following factors when seeking out a new club purchase?

1. Tour Presence
2. OEM Marketing/Advertising
3. Reviews from "professional reviewers", such as Rick Shiels
4. Reviews from normal golfers, such as those on THP
5. Looks
6. Price
7. Customization Options (shaft, grip, etc.)

I'll say 6, 5, 7 for 1, 2, and 3. Customization doesn't really play a part since all clubs are basically infinitely customizable. Options 1-4 tie for last place because none of that matters one iota.

I guess the caveat would be if I knew someone had a swing that was my doppleganger, their review would be valuable. Otherwise, you've gotta take it for what it's worth. Just because it worked for one person does not mean it'll work for me.

Of the factors you listed, this is how I rank them in importance.

1. Reviews from "professional reviewers", such as Rick Shiels
2. Reviews from normal golfers, such as those on THP
3. Customization Options (shaft, grip, etc.)
4. OEM Marketing/Advertising
5. Price
6. Tour Presence
7. Looks

Of those, the first three are generally more helpful, but specific instances can vary wildly. Reviews from normal golfers have the potential to be more valuable to the masses but generally, struggle with methodology and ability to articulate the differences. Marketing/Advertising from the company could be more helpful but generally isn't. Price always has to be competitive to attract large numbers of consumers, but if it's in the ballpark and the value is there, you're good. Tour presence means so little. Players are PAID big money to play these clubs, don't have a swing anything like yours or mine and the clubs are customized to such an extreme that it's questionable whether you can really buy what a player has in his bag. Looks will go high on some players' lists, but not mine. I'm all about performance. I'd swing an anvil if that was the best performing tool for the job.

I’d love to see how many people would play bomb tech or something similar if it was truly better performance for you...I just don’t believe it, sorry.
I played the Grenade driver for a few years with an Aldila RIP Beta shaft. Got it when the company 1st started. It beat out my Cobra ZL Encore for bag status and later fended off the Callaway XR.

It lost to the Epic... still have it though.

I played the Grenade driver for a few years with an Aldila RIP Beta shaft. Got it when the company 1st started. It beat out my Cobra ZL Encore for bag status and later fended off the Callaway XR.

It lost to the Epic... still have it though.

Yea, I mean some people will mean it, and to be honest I admire it because I’m not sure I could. But in general it’s just a nice sentiment for most people if you judge by the purchases people actually make. It tends to really mean “best performing of the main brands”

Back