Do you have a setup routine?

Routine is as follows:

1. Stand behind the ball to visualize the shot, get a "feel" for it in my mind's eye. Few deep breaths to relax.
2. Maybe a few "practice" swings, if any, behind the ball ... never a real full practice swing ... a lot of visualization
3. Pick an intermediate target along the ground along the target line, a tee, tuff of grass or discoloration ....
4. Address the ball "Hello Ball" ... look at the ball, then target, then the ball
5. Deep breath out
6. Pull the trigger

I try and do this 95% of the time in full shots.

Same routine for me every shot bar with the putter in my hand. If nothing else, it ensures my grip only the club is always good.

Great tweet by True Temper on this as well.

I do for putting and I would like to have something for my other shots but haven't got anything to stick yet.

Yes. Align body, ball and target behind the ball. Take stance and back off a bit. Swing slowly, looking at ball, then target. Repeat 3x, last one with almost full swing, adjust body if necessary. Step into address then go.

I do have a set up routine. I've got it engrained so that I do it automatically. I take 1 practice swing to see turf interaction as well as my alignment. Adjust if I have to and fire away. I'm pretty fast at my routine and hitting. Less than 20 secs once I select the club I'm using.

Step up to the ball, a few waggles while looking at the target envisioning the shot, and then let it go.

Usually look at target from behind the ball, take one practice swing sometimes, then step up and hit the shot. Nothing long or drawn out.

Pre-pre-shot: This does not count as a pre-shot. As I'm pushing my cart, I'm looking at the course for all the potential obstacles. Then when I get to my ball, I shoot the distance with my rangefinder and select my club. I'll do this as others are hitting.

Pre-shot routine: I stand behind the ball and take a practice swing 90 degrees to the target line. Then I line up the shot. Walk up to the ball. Align the clubface. Step into the shot and take my stance. Visualize the ball flight. Take a breath and let it out. Let it rip. This does not take me that long.

During the off season, I've been practicing my pre-shot routine at the driving range. I do it on every ball so that it becomes second nature. This way when I play on the course, I'm not doing something different.

I pick a spot in front of the ball maybe 5 to 10 feet to line up with my target. One practice swing over the ball to make sure I lined up ok (have to look a the turf from this swing) and then I go. I also have a mental image in my mind of how I want the shot to be, and it has to be a positive image. Never any bad thoughts.

One practice swing, line up the shot and fire away.

Great tweet by True Temper on this as well.

Yeah I saw this as well. Was a great tweet by TT

Back