Roku, hulu, vudu, revue replacing regular tv service - good - bad - not practical?

pjcedog

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone cut their cable or dropped their satellite to go strictly hulu or vudu or whatever, with a roku box or revue or other internet video box? Just curious if it is viable or not. I could easily cut my cable if I can get coverage on some basic shows my wife watches all the time...like soaps and House or whatever, I would have to maybe live without Golf Channel but then I could afford to play more without a $100 tv bill every month.

I cut my cable along time ago, and just went with instant netflix and hulu plus along with a solid high speed internet connection. I have never used a Roku box or other video box, but PS3 and Xbox360 stream these two services flawlessly for me.

I can't do it, I watch to much sports. I do love netflix though.

Pretty much watch just hulu and kids watch Netflix. I keep basic $20 cable ($10 off since I have Internet as well) to dvr golf on NBC CBS etc. I would love to have golf channel but not willing to add $50+

iOS using Tapatalk

I cut my cable along time ago, and just went with instant netflix and hulu plus along with a solid high speed internet connection. I have never used a Roku box or other video box, but PS3 and Xbox360 stream these two services flawlessly for me.

I don't have an xbox or a ps3 but it might be worth it to pick up a used one for just that purpose - I do have a media pc and fiber optic internet (uverse) which might work also. I was thinking I would set that pc up as a server for the tv(s) and I wasn't happy with the crappy picture I got with a winTV on it. Thought I would explore other options. Someone at work today ( after I posted this ) told me that if Netflix fails due to recent problems that hulu would likely go with it - not sure if that is true or not. Also told me that hulu + costs almost as much per month as my current uverse service so I won't gain much. I don't have any premium channels or movie channels but I would hate to give up watching sports if that was part of it. Maybe it's a bad idea. I just hate sending ATT any more money than I have to...

My cousin uses a Roku box, but only to download movies and stuff. She doesn't have a wii/ps3/xbox so she uses the roku. She did not get rid of her cable though. It works well, I've watched things on it with no problem.

The HDMI failed on my tv, not sure what happened, had to hook up component to get a picture this morning, not good compared to what I am used to. Maybe just the cable has failed?

I could never do it. I love having all the channels. I watch too much sports to drop it.

The HDMI failed on my tv, not sure what happened, had to hook up component to get a picture this morning, not good compared to what I am used to. Maybe just the cable has failed?

Dang, that's not good! If it were me, I'd test it with a different HDMI device first, and then a different cable if does not work with the different device. Also, eBay is the best place to buy HDMI cables if you are getting a new one. They are absurdly overpriced in the stores.

Dang, that's not good! If it were me, I'd test it with a different HDMI device first, and then a different cable if does not work with the different device. Also, eBay is the best place to buy HDMI cables if you are getting a new one. They are absurdly overpriced in the stores.

I know what you mean about the price on those things. I will test the cable on my PC and see if I get a picture with it. If it fails I have another cable I can put on there. I am just hoping it is not the TV itself, it is not more than 6 months old.

Replaced the cable, it was a cheapie that came free with either the TV set or the DVD player not sure which but I replaced it with a cable with decent gold plated connectors and it works fine now.

Replaced the cable, it was a cheapie that came free with either the TV set or the DVD player not sure which but I replaced it with a cable with decent gold plated connectors and it works fine now.

Good to hear it was just the cable.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Roku 2 or 3 or a new smart TV?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'd go with a roku or other device before buying another smart tv. It's nice to only have one remote but it's not near as good as having a stand alone system that makes watching shows off the internet easier.

I have an LG and regret spending the extra on the "smart" part. I have a smart tv DVD player on another tv and it's better than the smart tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with a roku or other device before buying another smart tv. It's nice to only have one remote but it's not near as good as having a stand alone system that makes watching shows off the internet easier.

I have an LG and regret spending the extra on the "smart" part. I have a smart tv DVD player on another tv and it's better than the smart tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I assume you get a lot more apps with the Roku too?

I assume you get a lot more apps with the Roku too?

The apps for history, cbs etc.. Are way more friendly than trying to go to the site via the web and watch it through the tv. If your only using it for Netflix, Hulu it's not bad but not worth the coin in my opinion regardless.

My lg I can stream to but only from an lg device which is annoying since I own zero lg devices. I wish I would have done more research before I bought.

Wife and I cut the cord about 8 years ago now. We were paying direct TV around $240 a month for "TV"! We started out with an old laptop hooked up via DVI and some web sites, which then transitioned to a first gen Apple TV. . . .Several years later we ended up with a network based tuner feeding a DVR, with an appleTV on each set with Netflix, HBO now, and Showtime anytime. We pay for MLB at bat, and PGA's app on the appleTV for sports. We pay around $40 a month(internet is covered by my employer for work at home) so I'm saving a good bit. More importantly I waste less time. I have more "TV" available than I can ever watch, but I only deal with commercials when watching sports now.

Back