Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
It is fascinating to me that there is so much discussion regarding the color of the drivers. I know there was another recent thread in which I wrote that it matters, even though we don’t see it while playing the club, just like we don’t see the color/body shape of a fancy sports car while driving it. But, the amount of discussion I have seen with regard to the yellow color for the Cobra F9 and the green/yellow for Epic Flash makes me smile and say that these club manufacturers are smart SOBs. The kind of discussion brings pub to the club that certainly wouldn’t be there if the color schemes were designed by some buttoned down, Brooks Brother type.

It makes sense when you think of how competitive the market is combined with the fact that performance is so close. Often it's the case that aside from having a driver tuned to your swing in a fitting, the only thing that sets it apart for some is the visuals or a sale.

On the tee boxes, I usually rotate between driver and 3 wood. For example, out of 14 tee boxes I may swing driver 8 times and 3-wood 6 times.
For that reason I try to have my driver as similar looking as possible, so I would only buy a high color driver if my 3 wood was same.

Back