Double Hit Challenge

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Anyone tried with the new rules a double hit to get around something???

Another great video from the Euro tour!

Another great video from the Euro tour!

Just watched this on insta - it'll be added to the practice list for the MC for sure.

I guess I'm still learning/seeing this rule for the first time. I expected the rule to be something like 2 hits can occur during the course of 1 swing (back swing and follow through). But it's clear that you can do almost anything you want after the first hit occurs.

I guess I'm still learning/seeing this rule for the first time. I expected the rule to be something like 2 hits can occur during the course of 1 swing (back swing and follow through). But it's clear that you can do almost anything you want after the first hit occurs.
Yeah I'm thinking an intentional double hit probably breaks the intent of the rule. But a fun trick shot to have some fun with.

With as many trees are on my home course, if allowed I could see it being something tried/utilized!

I watched the video of the gal doing it the other day, she made it look easy.

well, every time i've pulled a tc chen, the first words out of my mouth are always, "i meant to do that." so yeah, i can do that. hold my beer...

Be a cool trick to try, but I can't even get the ball to land in the right spot when it's stationary at times.... :banghead:

I have did it by accident a few times but if I tried to do it on purpose it would end badly.

I have did it by accident a few times but if I tried to do it on purpose it would end badly.

And I think the accidental ones are the shots that fit into the new rule of no penalty.

Saw a clip of Hannah Davies (I think) on Twitter the other day using the double hit to get round a tree - made it look so easy as well

No doubt if I tried I would probably end up in even more trouble than I was before I attempted it.....

Would be fun to try in a casual round but unless "accidental" it is a penalty. When I played golf on the third I did have my first double hit for the year on a chip shot haha.

FYI from USGA website:

2019 Rule: Under Rule 10.1a, if the player’s club accidentally hits the ball more than once during a single stroke:
Golf's New Rules: Major Changes

There will be no penalty and the ball will be played as it lies.

Reasons for Change:

Where a double hit occurs as part of a single stroke and was not the intention of the player, it was felt unfair and unnecessary for the player to be penalized.

Just as there is no penalty if a player’s ball accidentally deflects off his or her body, equipment or caddie, there is no need for a penalty when a player accidentally strikes his or her own ball in making a stroke.

Accidental deflections are, by definition, an accident.
The outcome in such cases is random and unpredictable, and it results in a disadvantage for the player as often as it results in an advantage

Immediately thought of the Bryan Brothers when I saw the video. But they do it so much better.

Those are not double hits but they are double strokes.

Anyone tried with the new rules a double hit to get around something???
Not legal of course.
But i have enough trouble with the one hits. Why add another. Unintentional ones are usually the lucky ones. Intentionally? who the heck knows where it would end up if not missed altogether and in a worse place.

Back