Chipper use in bunkers

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Does anyone utilize a chipper in their bunker play? If yes, how well does it work for you.

cant say I can see how the loft is high enough at all for it to work and that's assuming you got a nice lie to boot.

Every now and then I'll be in a situation where a chip shot seems to be the better play. Wet super compacted sand, flat lie, shallow lip and room for roll out. I don't have a 'chipper' but I've had decent luck playing safe chip shots with an iron in those rare situations. A couple setup changes though. I don't dig my feet into the sand and I choke up on the grip and focus on the sand just in front of the ball to make sure I don't catch sand first.

Every now and then I'll be in a situation where a chip shot seems to be the better play. Wet super compacted sand, flat lie, shallow lip and room for roll out. I don't have a 'chipper' but I've had decent luck playing safe chip shots with an iron in those rare situations. A couple setup changes though. I don't dig my feet into the sand and I choke up on the grip and focus on the sand just in front of the ball to make sure I don't catch sand first.

This. My chipper is normally my SW, sometimes my LW, occasionally my GW or 4h, and seldom my 3wd.

Several years ago when the Niblick was really popular on the forums many users reported having success out of bunkers. Never did work for me, but I never had great luck with the Niblick in general.

Wet super compacted sand, flat lie, shallow lip and room for roll out.

Yeah, I would expect a chipper to work under those conditions

I've got a wood chipper but I can't see how that would work?

While I would never call it a 'chipper', the 2011 Cleveland Niblick 56* Sand Wedge works nicely in the sand!..and it's great for lob shots too!..:glasses-cool:

It's really more of a 'hybrid' sand wedge!..:thumb:

niblickSW.jpg

I've never had luck chipping out of bunkers, though I have putted out of a few depending on the lie and proximity to the green. Normally I have better luck blasting out.

I chip out of the bunkers at my club's courses fairly frequently. Obviously some situations don't allow for it, but if it's a moderately low lip, a little green to work with, ball sitting on top of the sand, etc., I'd prefer to chip........or even occasionally putt.

I have tried it a few times with little success. For me if I took any sand the club couldn’t get through with enough force to get the ball out. If the bunker had a large lip I couldn’t get enough loft on it and it would roll back in the trap. When I did get it out I found it difficult to get the distance right.

Buy one cheap and give it a go you may do better than I did.

some have been known to use a putter for getting out of a bunker

Back