Stains on performance material, help!

zbeekner4

Proud 2019 Grandaddy Alum
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright I need some help here. Lately I’ve started noticing huge stains on a lot of my performance clothes after washing them. At first I thought it was an oil stain or something but now it’s gotten on a lot of my golf clothes and after using oxi-clean (and a bunch of other stuff), I can’t get these awful stains out.

Anyone else have this issue or know what it comes from? I have washed my clothes with the same regular atm&hammer detergent for years but I have a speculation it might be from my shower towels? Any feedback would be great so I know how to avoid ruining these clothes in the future!

88a8a4b55b546ed05fbc846627b56b39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could it be sun screen? If so, once it has been dried it is nearly impossible to get out.

Could it be sun screen? If so, once it has been dried it is nearly impossible to get out.

Dang. That actually might be a possibility.

Haven’t needed sunscreen in a few months though

I was going to guess grease or oil, but sunscreen is a good guess too. I wash all of my golf stuff separately from everything else. The materials are so thin nowadays they can get beat up badly, and they are expensive.

Try hand washing it in the sink with dish soap(dawn/Palmolive). Rinse it, then wash it in the machine like normal. Great for getting oil and grease out of clothes as a mechanic. It won't hurt the material. Let it air dry.

Grandmas spot remover is great for stains.

If your sunscreen contains avobenzone (Parsol 1789 is the most common trade name) the stain/discoloration is more of a brown. Mine is that color. Perhaps not a long term fix but have you tried dry cleaning? From what I have read, if you have a garden variety grease-like stain, pretreatment with a heavy-duty cleaner like Pine-Sol may work. If it’s brownish-orange, that’s the avobenzone reacting with iron in the water. Oxi-Clean and bleaches make it worse. You can try a product like Rust Away or wet the stain, put lemon juice on it, then apply salt liberally on top of that. Let sit overnight, brush away the salt, then wash as normal. I’ve just read about these - I haven’t tried any of them.

Those look like oil based stains unfortunately and they will never come out of oil based clothing (polyester, nylon, etc) that modern golf clothes are made of. Basically the only thing that will stain them as almost everything else will come out.

Those look like oil based stains unfortunately and they will never come out of oil based clothing (polyester, nylon, etc) that modern golf clothes are made of. Basically the only thing that will stain them as almost everything else will come out.

That’s what I’m afraid of. I’ll certainly try some other options even at the risk of making it worse as otherwise I won’t ever wear these again

That’s what I’m afraid of. I’ll certainly try some other options even at the risk of making it worse as otherwise I won’t ever wear these again

Maybe try some nail polish remover if you have a spot, but if they are dyed and not solution dyed that will.remove the dye too. Solution dyed means the liquid that the thread is made of is colored, vs the thread being made and then dyed later. The former is permanent, the latter can be removed just like the stain by the acetone.

Usually as a last resort I will try dry cleaning solution in a spray can, and if that does not work, then WD40. I know it sounds crazy, but WD40 will often get oil stains out. Spray somewhat liberally, the stain will look huge, and then wash with ample detergent along with some other cloths or towels (which are needed to crate the friction of washing in modern washing machines).

Thanks everyone for the responses. I’m gonna try a few of the tips on here and see what happens. I’ll report back with my findings.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I’m gonna try a few of the tips on here and see what happens. I’ll report back with my findings.

If any of them work, maybe it needs to be a sticky in this section of the forums :act-up:

Try wetting it with Dawn, the dish washing detergent and a little peroxide and soak it for a while. That works pretty good for me.

I've had a few spots like that show up occasionally. I just spot wash the areas with cold water and Shout using an old tooth brush that I keep handy for these situations. Then I rewash cycle the clothes again in cold water.

Also, I always wash my golf clothes in cold water on the delicates setting as well as delicates/low heat when drying.

Good Luck!

I've also had great success with Shout or Resolve sticks.

I treat both sides of the stain inside and out of the shirt and work it in with a brush. Let it sit for hours or overnight, wash as usual.

Good news!!! I got quite a few of the stains out! I used a few different methods but the one the worked the best was dish soap.

I washed the clothes using dish soap and no laundry detergent in addition to scrubbing the stained areas with the same dish soap and hydrogen peroxide using a toothbrush prior to the wash.

WD40 actually kinda worked but still left a lighter stain.

For some oil stains chalk will get them out or lighten them up a good bit. Doesn't always work, but it doesn't make it any worse, so it's worth a shot.

Glad you got some out Zach, I've got a bad habit of leaving my chapstick in my pants pockets. I've ruined more than a coupe shirts running them through a chapstick-infused wash/dry cycle. 0/10, do not recommend. I'll try the dawn method next time I end up with some oil stains.

Stains can be a nuisance, but with the right techniques they can be removed relatively easily. In most cases, stains on fabric will come out in the wash, but there are some that require a bit more work. Oils and grease, for example, are notoriously difficult to remove.One way to deal with oil and grease stains is to use a commercial cleaner. These cleaners (https://www.fabrichouse.com.au/guide-to-cleaning-satin/)can be purchased at most stores, and they come in a variety of forms, including sprays, gels, and liquids. Be sure to follow the instructions on the package carefully, as using too much or too little of the product can actually make the stain worse.

I've noticed that. Any other kind of stain will wash right out of polyester fabrics except oil based stains! And that means any kind of oil. Olive, vegetable, meat fat, etc. But skid marks are a breeze! And that's a good thing for me!

Back