Can you really practice lag putting?

huhhh

Reaction score
Handicap
25.3 GRINT
I've always had a problem with this, the theory of it anyway. There are any number of ways to hone in putting form and stroke. But distance is another story. I know there are plenty of drills to help distance control... but do they really work?

I mean, lag putting is ALL about speed. And speed varies wildly from course to course, and sometimes from green to green. You can be dialed in on your carpet, or practice green, or even on the greens on one course. But go somewhere else and it's completely different and it becomes all about adjustment. Is there a way to practice that adjustment or is it just all feel and you either have it or you don't?

This is a very interesting topic and I will be interested to see the responses. Though the vast majority of my first putts from outside of 3 - 4 feet do end of in essence being a lag putt since they are not in the hole, I very rarely line up to a putt with the intention of leaving it 2 feet from the hole. Always pick my intended line and speed to put the ball in the hole.

I can't remember where I saw this suggestion (probably youtube) but I have found it helps a lot.

Find a level spot on the green and hit three putts where you take the same measured swing which should be the length of your stance (one foot to the next). The putts should be relatively the same distance. Then pace off the length those putts have gone. Then adjust from that distance for distance and up/down hill. If there is grain, you might do the exercise twice, once with the grain and once against it.

I believe you can. I have a putting drill from an instructor that places a 3' circle around a hole and then sets up 5 balls each at 4 locations 3' apart starting at 12'. The goal is to make or get at least 10 of the balls inside the circle.

Putting practice is unique is general. You can practice 3, 4 footers and get better or at least more comfortable with them. Practice 10 footers and it will translate to the course.

Practice 25 footers all week and you get in your Saturday match and not have one similar putt all day. You'll have a 35 footer uphill with 6 feet of break, downhill double breaker from 20 feet. Again you can get more comfortable lag putting but it can be really tough to perfect it thru practice.

I really like the putting games that place you in competitive positions of hitting a lag putt then having to hole out. Either the match play style game where you drop a ball, pick a hole and compete against another player to get in the hole. Winner picks next target, repeat for a 9 or 18 hole match.

My son's golf coach introduced us to an around the world game last year. It works at our muni course practice green which is large and relatively flat. You putt around the perimeter from hole to hole trying to get down in 2 putts each hole. The goal being to complete a circuit clockwise then counterclockwise without 3 putting. You can do this on your own or against a partner as well. The benefit being you don't really have two lag putts the same around and back.

I've always had a problem with this, the theory of it anyway. There are any number of ways to hone in putting form and stroke. But distance is another story. I know there are plenty of drills to help distance control... but do they really work?

I mean, lag putting is ALL about speed. And speed varies wildly from course to course, and sometimes from green to green. You can be dialed in on your carpet, or practice green, or even on the greens on one course. But go somewhere else and it's completely different and it becomes all about adjustment. Is there a way to practice that adjustment or is it just all feel and you either have it or you don't?

Your Majesty!

I don't think there is a really GOOD way to do this other than pure feel. I've only been to about one about a half a dozen practice greens large enough to really practice this. I think you're correct, it's all about feel. When I was watching the AT&T this last weekend, I saw David Duval lag a 92 foot putt to 2 feet. Then, a few groups later another guy (don't remember his name) had a putt in a similar spot, but more around 81 feet and he didn't get it to within 10 feet. Even the commentators made the comment, "it's not something anyone really practices."

That's logical, and seems like it could help. It will get you dialed in on the practice green and help give you a base to go off of... but when you leave the practice green it's still about adjustment.

I guess this could have almost been a poll: how much of lag putting is skill (something you can learn and improve) and how much is feel and touch (something you have or you don't)?

Your Majesty!

I don't think there is a really GOOD way to do this other than pure feel. I've only been to about one about a half a dozen practice greens large enough to really practice this. I think you're correct, it's all about feel. When I was watching the AT&T this last weekend, I saw David Duval lag a 92 foot putt to 2 feet. Then, a few groups later another guy (don't remember his name) had a putt in a similar spot, but more around 81 feet and he didn't get it to within 10 feet. Even the commentators made the comment, "it's not something anyone really practices."
This is kinda what I thought.
Ps... you may kiss ring.

I practice lag putting a lot because I know i'll have a handful of putts that will require some distance to cover. I'll place a tee 3' in front and behind the hole & concentrate on having the ball stop inside both tees or just outside of them (no more than a foot or so). This has helped me understand what my stroke needs to look like with these types of putts.

Practice putting will vary form course to course depending on the speed.
You can still practice the ladder drill and it will help.
However, taking it to a new course your results may vary.
You just have to get a feel for the speed of the course you are playing, nothing much more than that.

Great putters are born not made but all of us have the ability to improve our putting. I would say that with many amateurs I play with I see a lot of wrist action on longer putts and poor contact. I'd say I'm below average for my index on putts inside of 15 feet but above average on putts over 30 feet. I often hit it inside of 18 inches from 40+ feet away. On putts over 50 feet I try to concentrate on finishing my backswing and making sure it's long enough for the putt. A club pro told me that when I was 13 or 14 and I never forgot it.

Last edited:
It all comes down to feel. The more you spend time putting on different greens the better you become. Try putting to the fringe instead of the hole ... various distances to the fringe, on all sides of the putting green. See how close you get to the edge of the fringe .... makes you concentrate on speed. Not focusing on the hole and "trying to make it" teaches you speed and lag putting.
That's why you see the guys on Tour spend hours on the putting green. Unfortunately, most of us don't have that luxury nor the time to dedicate to that. JMO

I think it depends on the type of person you are. Some people are more logical and analytical while others are more creative and feel players. For me I practice lag putting by determining how much backstroke I need on my baseline green for different length stroke. I can then practice hitting that distance repetitively. When I go to a new course, I will hit an X distance putt and see if the ball rolls more, less, or the same. From there you can make an adjustment in your stroke length to account for the differing speed.

Can you practice/learn it? Sure, I think to an extent you can. But I do believe that it's something that comes much easier to some than others.

I think Dave Pelz has an indoor putting tool that helps one work on lag putting.

There are two types of lag putting practice - line and distance. I think distance is more important than line.

I think that this is a bit off topic, but is an interesting piece of info for people who want to get better at lag putting.

PGA professionals, from about 8', are equally as likely to one putt as two putt. Meaning, their make rate is 50%. From 33', they are as likely to two putt as three putt.

I use that info when I am practicing my putting. I do not expect to make all my 8' putts, but I would like to be making more than I miss from inside that distance. And I think about two putting from 33 feet, knowing I won't (and should not) do better than two putts 50% of the time.

Using those two distances as benchmarks, when I go to new courses, I practice from those spots around the practice green. It gives me a pretty good idea of how the greens are rolling.

In my opinion you can practice lag putting similar to how you fine tune your wedge game.
You can hit a single wedge various distances based on feel and technique.
Lag putting to me is the same. You practice it and your body remembers it.
Yes, some courses will very on speed and you have to adjust to it the best you can.
A few long putts on the putting green will usually give you a good idea on whats going on on the greens.
Keep practicing and your body will remember.
Good luck.

Tazz

In theory, the practice green at a course is similar to the greens on the course.

The way I was taught to do this by a tour pro was to take 4 balls, start at 10 feet and putt them as close to the hole as you can, but your goal is to get them to stop within 3' of the hole. If they go in, nice putt. Work a couple holes like that on the practice green. Then when you have that, move back to about 20 feet. Your brain will take a couple of balls to recalibrate. Then you'll get the feel again. Putting is about feel. Once you have it at 20 feet, go back to 10 feet and do it again. Your brain should recalibrate pretty quickly, like on the first ball. If it doesn't, keep working the drill. Maybe go back to 25 feet.

It will take you about 20 to 30 minutes of putting to calibrate the speed of the greens before a round. This is why it's important to give yourself time before your round to warm up, and putt. If you don't have time to warm up your full swing, go straight to the putting green.

I find I do a lot better in my putting if I lag putt for at least 20 minutes before my round.

Sure you can. Just try to make them all. If you get it with in 2 ft. It's a good lag.

Absolutely.

Risk reward and leaving the ball in the best position to convert a two putt.

Lag putting can be practiced for sure! When you are outside of reasonable make range, it's a lag with the goal getting it to gimme range. Golf is a game of variables for sure so one of the variables is surface and another is speed. Being able to adapt to those is key to success in my opinion and the only way to do that is to do it every time you are out, whether it be a practice session, a pre round putting session or post round. You gotta mix it up too, distances, breaks, uphill, downhill etc.

Practice getting in those positions and getting it close, and you are practicing lag putting in my opinion.

JM

Before a round I only practice long putts, just to gauge the speed of the greens. Rather than trying to make the putt I am just trying to get me to a point where I can have a makeable second putt.

Still, my putting is the weak point of my game.

I often practice long putts just trying to get them inside a 3 foot circle. No three putts is money!

I don't make all my putts, but I've made a fair share, and I just let gravity be my friend.

I try to figure out where gravity takes over in a putt, and then let the putt stop at that point.

I found figuring lag putts more fun that way.

I think you can. I agree that a lot of it is feel, but the only way to get a better feel for the lag putt is to practice it.

It all comes down to feel. The more you spend time putting on different greens the better you become. Try putting to the fringe instead of the hole ... various distances to the fringe, on all sides of the putting green. See how close you get to the edge of the fringe .... makes you concentrate on speed. Not focusing on the hole and "trying to make it" teaches you speed and lag putting.
That's why you see the guys on Tour spend hours on the putting green. Unfortunately, most of us don't have that luxury nor the time to dedicate to that. JMO

What he said!!

Back