Distance using single length irons

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Do single length irons produce the same distance as standard irons. For example will a single length 5 iron hit a ball the same distance or shorter than a standard length 5 iron?

In theory they should be close because a lot of that is determined by loft, but I'm curious to hear what the real brains of the game have to say.

Moved to golf clubs.
Tons of info in the Single Length threads. The answer is yes, at least the current cobra ones do.

In my experience yes. I played the F7 single length and the long irons are among the best/easiest I have ever hit. I think they have improved in every iteration since as they have gotten smarter producing the clubs.

Good quality single length sets do, hand-built ones will not. Cobra has created some incredible single length sets.

Do single length irons produce the same distance as standard irons. For example will a single length 5 iron hit a ball the same distance or shorter than a standard length 5 iron?

I did a gap test with my One Length set recently and I can say confidently that they do go as far for me as a set of standard length clubs! There is some slight launch angle changes but nothing dramatic or that would cause any concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good quality single length sets do, hand-built ones will not. Cobra has created some incredible single length sets.

What's wrong with hand-built clubs? When we did the Ping tour at the Championship, they were building all their clubs by hand. I've built hundreds of clubs by hand, including some single length. As long as quality components are used, the results should be similar.

For me, I didn't like the SL clubs. Honestly, I'm not sure what was more an issue... shorter long irons or longer short irons, but they all felt weird except maybe the 6-8 irons.

What's wrong with hand-built clubs? When we did the Ping tour at the Championship, they were building all their clubs by hand. I've built hundreds of clubs by hand, including some single length. As long as quality components are used, the results should be similar.

For me, I didn't like the SL clubs. Honestly, I'm not sure what was more an issue... shorter long irons or longer short irons, but they all felt weird except maybe the 6-8 irons.

I'm using hand-built to refer to people doing it themselves by cutting long irons and lengthening short irons. Generally, those sets do not work out very well, because there's a lot more involved than just the club length.

You say when you've tried SL, they felt weird outside the 6-8-- was that feeling emotional or the physical clubs?

You say when you've tried SL, they felt weird outside the 6-8-- was that feeling emotional or the physical clubs?

A little of both. I can't get along with looking down at a 4i that's only 37" long and swinging a 37" long LW just seems weird, too.

If I was forced to do it for a year for some reason, I might be able to make it work. I just don't think I like it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back