Titleist AP2 and AP3 Black Irons

I agree. They sent over a few, but were mostly similar. Here is one they used on social.

DxHmewWU8AApl1O.jpg

now that's a great picture.

That's some nice use of the strikethrough there, JB. I don't even care, they look good.

yeah, the strikethrough made me giggle

That's some nice use of the strikethrough there, JB. I don't even care, they look good.

Thanks. I try to have some fun with the previews.

Odyssey "listened" to their tour players and came out with red putters. Titleist is "listening" to theirs would wanted a darker finish on their irons. Seems like a smart move to me.

Bingo.

I never really understand the "so and so already did it, these are copycats!" crowd.

Golf, is a copycat industry, and who wins because of that fact? ALL OF US.

Bingo.

I never really understand the "so and so already did it, these are copycats!" crowd.

Golf, is a copycat industry, and who wins because of that fact? ALL OF US.

And every company pandering to me and MikeG's obsession with black irons is for the best. Although MikeG actually makes the purchases, I just drool. haha

this might be nitpicky, but it's tough to tell whether those photos were just shot in greyscale, or are actually of black irons. would have popped better against lighter background, or show a side-by-side comparison to the existing ap2 in the same pic.

i wish more shaft oems would offer black. not a fan of the amt shaft. i'd be trying to find something different. certainly looks cool, though.

i love the feel of the ap2, i just need a little bit extra help. the ap3 was kind of a miss for me, so i hope they find a way to improve on it for future releases.

Yeah if the ap2 were a bit longer I think it would be a permanent fixture in the bag. Feels so good, but just too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the look and I am a fan of shinny on irons.

And every company pandering to me and MikeG's obsession with black irons is for the best. Although MikeG actually makes the purchases, I just drool. haha

Hahaha, DEATH TO POLISHED CHROME!

you can live vicariously through me in a month or so....

I like the looks of these a lot. To me, if the black shows some wear on the face and sole, so be it. Not anything that would stress or upset me. The clubs are used to constantly hit a hard ball off the hard ground so it's only natural to experience some degree of finish wear.

I got the black Apexes last time. I didn't play bad golf with them, but something just wasn't right and I got rid of them. Not saying I should have, but I did. I'll likely pick up another set of black irons this year, and the AP2s are in the running, as the AP3s and I didn't get along as well as we should have for how much I liked the look and idea.

I got the black Apexes last time. I didn't play bad golf with them, but something just wasn't right and I got rid of them. Not saying I should have, but I did. I'll likely pick up another set of black irons this year, and the AP2s are in the running, as the AP3s and I didn't get along as well as we should have for how much I liked the look and idea.

Yea I just want everyone to make them selfishly. If every company had a black version of their irons, I would buy that every time. but I understand why they don't.

They look incredible.

The first question on everybody’s mind is how will they wear? The answer is they will wear with play, and for those that have experienced the Jet Black finish on the SM7 wedges from Vokey, it will be similar.

This has to be done right, otherwise it's ugly after a short period of time. Hopefully it's good and durable.

This has to be done right, otherwise it's ugly after a short period of time. Hopefully it's good and durable.

I would call it in between. It's not on the level of durability of something like the Cobra lineup, because that is not really a finish. It is closer to what some other companies are doing. These are going to wear and begin so rather quickly. For a PVD, they should hold up decently well.

I would call it in between. It's not on the level of durability of something like the Cobra lineup, because that is not really a finish. It is closer to what some other companies are doing. These are going to wear and begin so rather quickly. For a PVD, they should hold up decently well.

You think its a cost thing that keeps people from moving to the DBM finish/design, or the easy of just going with PVD?

Love the black finish. The wear is my only concern as I’ve seen what the vokey wedges look like after a decent amount of play.

Irons are definitely on my “buy” list for 2019 and my list of candidates is growing rapidly.

Well, that's tough.

I love the decision to offer variety though - I really do.

You think its a cost thing that keeps people from moving to the DBM finish/design, or the easy of just going with PVD?

I think cost is a part of it. Time is another one. Smaller scale like Cobra and Hogan have it as a separator. The larger companies haven't had to, because in all honesty, the darker finish irons have always been more of a fringe item. With them getting more popular that might change. Another note is PVD is not all created equally. Well, it is, but its not. Time and heat play a big role in how it will hold up.

I am a fan of the Black Irons and have a set of the Hogan Ft Worth Blacks, love them and they show no wear....

Those look amazing. Can someone plain what a DBM finish is?

Definitely an ease thing.

I think cost is a part of it. Time is another one. Smaller scale like Cobra and Hogan have it as a separator. The larger companies haven't had to, because in all honesty, the darker finish irons have always been more of a fringe item. With them getting more popular that might change. Another note is PVD is not all created equally. Well, it is, but its not. Time and heat play a big role in how it will hold up.

Haha, the PVD equality thing is definitely true, we have seen a lot of clubs who hold up surprisingly well, and others.....oooooooooooooooof.

Wow those look siiiick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back