Titleist AP2 and AP3 Black Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Those look MEAN!

Is it weird that i feels like Titleist looks like a johnny-come-lately to Cobra? Same shafts as FTB and everything? At least they're willing to say outright they'll wear.

The AP2s look really good but this seems really odd 18 months into the life cycle and when (I assume) 720 Irons will be out in 7-8 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those Ap2's look really, really good. Wow.

I don't have an issue with the PVD wearing, as I have one of the jet black sm7s and think it looks pretty good after nearly a year of use. The murdered out looks really attractive imo. The one thing I dislike about the release is the timing. 2019 will likely bring a new iteration of Titleist irons. Would have preferred these to have been available smack dab in the middle of the release cycle, or announced at time of the line's release. This seems late to me.

Odyssey "listened" to their tour players and came out with red putters. Titleist is "listening" to theirs would wanted a darker finish on their irons. Seems like a smart move to me.

The AP2s look really good but this seems really odd 18 months into the life cycle and when (I assume) 720 Irons will be out in 7-8 months?

They did something similar with the AP1 previously. New iron line would be October/November of this year if they stick with the same release date as previous releases, which with Titleist I wouldn't expect anything different.

We generally see pro's start using the new line around Colonial (someone please correct that if it's wrong).

I have not been a huge fan of the look of Titleist irons but those look really nice to me.

Absolutely love the look

Look pretty good, guess they feel like they are missing out by not having a black set of irons. Also another black set paired with AMT. I don't know what it is about those shafts... can't TT they make any other shafts black?

Those AP2s look fantastic. But again, it's a PVD finish which means wear...and that's a battle each individual will have to analyze. If I was in the market, they'd get consideration.

These look great but I'm not a fan of how the black wears on the vokey wedges. What's the line on how long before @golfinnut owns these?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

These look really good. I’m a sucker for black finish irons and these are very well done.

The AP3's are the best looking irons out there imo. These look great, but I still love the chrome shiny look of the originals.

They did something similar with the AP1 previously. New iron line would be October/November of this year if they stick with the same release date as previous releases, which with Titleist I wouldn't expect anything different.

We generally see pro's start using the new line around Colonial (someone please correct that if it's wrong).

Yeah, I remember the 716 smoke now! It makes sense, it just always seems like a head scratcher to me late in a life cycle. I absolutely love the 718 AP2, probably my favorite iron I’ve played, and these look exceptional.

Yeah, I remember the 716 smoke now! It makes sense, it just always seems like a head scratcher to me late in a life cycle. I absolutely love the 718 AP2, probably my favorite iron I’ve played, and these look exceptional.

Look at it another way. Your four biggest competitors are all launching irons right now or shortly. Makes sense to be in the mix.

Look at it another way. Your four biggest competitors are all launching irons right now or shortly. Makes sense to be in the mix.

That was my second thought, absolutely. Really dig the looks and some matte recoils would really complete the package.

I’m sure it’s a sales technique. Drum up some more interest and get those people that have been on the fence heading into golf season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve always thought the 718 AP2 was one of the best looking irons on the market, but the black version is straight fire! These are stunners!!!

Great looking irons, glad to see Titleist coming out of the "traditional" role with the new look to stay with other OEM's.

this might be nitpicky, but it's tough to tell whether those photos were just shot in greyscale, or are actually of black irons. would have popped better against lighter background, or show a side-by-side comparison to the existing ap2 in the same pic.

i wish more shaft oems would offer black. not a fan of the amt shaft. i'd be trying to find something different. certainly looks cool, though.

i love the feel of the ap2, i just need a little bit extra help. the ap3 was kind of a miss for me, so i hope they find a way to improve on it for future releases.

this might be nitpicky, but it's tough to tell whether those photos were just shot in greyscale, or are actually of black irons. would have popped better against lighter background, or show a side-by-side comparison to the existing ap2 in the same pic.

i wish more shaft oems would offer black. not a fan of the amt shaft. i'd be trying to find something different. certainly looks cool, though.

i love the feel of the ap2, i just need a little bit extra help. the ap3 was kind of a miss for me, so i hope they find a way to improve on it for future releases.

I agree. They sent over a few, but were mostly similar. Here is one they used on social.

DxHmewWU8AApl1O.jpg

That's some nice use of the strikethrough there, JB. I don't even care, they look good.

Well there goes not wanting any new irons at the moment...

Back