Olympic Competition 2016 Rio

RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm curious now that I think I understand how the 60 male and female competitors will be chosen. Do you think it is fair for a country to have 4 competitors in the field while almost all of the others can only have 2 provided they are ranked correctly in the World Rankings?

It would seem to be an unfair advantage but maybe there are arguments that make it understandable? What say you?

Here is the IOC ruling: (http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/qualification-system/)
The IOC has restricted the IGF to an Olympic field of 60 players for each of the men’s and women’s competition. The IGF will utilise the official world golf rankings to create the Olympic golf rankings as a method of determining eligibility. The top-15 world-ranked players will be eligible for the Olympics, with a limit of four players from a given country. Beyond the top-15, players will be eligible based on the world rankings, with a maximum of two eligible players from each country that does not already have two or more players among the top-15.

With the way things are going in Brazil right now (re: hygiene, social unrest, economic collapse, disease) I wouldn't be surprised if a number of golfers swear this event off.

With the way things are going in Brazil right now (re: hygiene, social unrest, economic collapse, disease) I wouldn't be surprised if a number of golfers swear this event off.

I'm not sure I'd want to go play THERE with all that's going on. UNLESS, I'm taking my own water and tons of bug spray...at least!

I'm not sure I'd want to go play THERE with all that's going on. UNLESS, I'm taking my own water and tons of bug spray...at least!
No kidding. The fact that Zika can be spread sexually also has to make people take pause. It's not like it's only going to be a problem for the female golfers ... the guys can bring it home with them as well.

If I were a professional golfer, I'd probably take a pass at Brazil and hope golf is included in the 2020 Olympics. As a consolation, I'd go look at my 2015 earnings statement ...

As a concept though, the IOC needs to take a long, hard look at itself ... I don't think the Olympics embody the principles they claim are the driving force behind them.

They are doing golf the same as other events. Jamaica gets more athletes in the sprints then most other countries. Just the way it is. I also don't want to have to watch 4th best woman golfer from Trinidad and Tobago shoot 101- 110 in the 2 rounds.

Actually, I agree with you about Brazil.
I just thought like most Olypmic sports there are qualifying trails right before the team is announced but golf has choosen a completely different method. I like taking players who are playing well at the time of the event and not up to two years before.

I can see that happening. Too bad really.

As bad as it is, I don't see many staying away from being in the Olympics. I mean it comes around once every 4 years, national pride, I would go in a minute. Until the day you die, you would be able to say you are and Olympic athlete!

They are doing golf the same as other events. Jamaica gets more athletes in the sprints then most other countries. Just the way it is. I also don't want to have to watch 4th best woman golfer from Trinidad and Tobago shoot 101- 110 in the 2 rounds.

I understand what you are saying but I thought a qualifying tournament some where closer to the date of the games would have been more fair. Even in Jamaica they have pre Olympic trails!

I just wish it was amateur golfers and nor professionals, we already have a ryder cup and presidents cup for the pros.

Brazil looks beautiful on tv but I suspect this year they will get little positive traction due to the things mentioned, it sounds like a nightmare.

Agreed. This is the high point of many of those amateur athletes and something they'll talk about the rest of their lives.

Remember when Al Bundy scored 4 touchdowns in 1 game? :act-up:

With all the news that keeps coming out about Zika no way I would go down there as a golfer. Hell I would even think about not going at all like Hope Solo. Also with the water being so bad, this Olympics could be a huge mess.

Back