THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

You did get lessons from Roger Cleveland TWICE!

Man. How freaking cool is that. Gotta love THP events

Figured I would try to give the captains a break from having to think of a question for today and will give it a shot.

Its the final hole of your match, in alternate shot, and you are all tied up on #18 at Boulder Creek. You and your opponent are right in the same spot hitting your 3rd shots to the green (its a par 5), and your shots look like this:

https://golfchannel-a.akamaihd.net/ramp/376/374/12tipsxmas_01_tgl15015_breed_flop.jpg

You are hitting the shot for your team, and have to hit first, before your opponent. Your opponent seems to be a decent chipper, not great, but not bad.
For the purpose of this question, forget about your partner's opinion (obviously I hope you wouldnt in real life):

Do you try to pull off the amazing shot and get it within a few feet? Knowing if you leave it short you dump it in the bunker and likely lose?

Do you play it a little safer and try to hit a good shot/rather than great, and give yourself a 10-15 footer past the pin, saying we have a good chance to make the putt, but I dont have to be quite as precise?

Do you hit it way past the pin towards the back of the green, making sure you are absolutely on the green even if its a 30 footer?

Depends on the day I am having but I play like Phil Mickelson, go big or go home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me I'm going for the center of the green, playing the safe shot. Give us a shot at birdie still and really good chance for par.

Unless I'm playing with PhillyV. Then I'll put him in the sand and let him chip to a foot for the kick in par. :)

Go at the flag. No point in playing safe step up with confidence and hit the shot. That is what I would do and what I would expect me partner to do.

I'm hitting the shot close to the flag. I don't mind hitting that flop shot over the sand. If I miss then I'm relying on my partner to pick me up.

Phil is glad you Ohio guys like to go for the flag, but for all the wrong reasons if you are his partner. Alt Shot finds a way to make you accountable for every shot.

Phil is glad you Ohio guys like to go for the flag, but for all the wrong reasons if you are his partner. Alt Shot finds a way to make you accountable for every shot.

That's why you want Phil as a partna! He can but words of wisdom in your head. But in the end I bet that guy will roll with whatever shot you choose to select.

Figured I would try to give the captains a break from having to think of a question for today and will give it a shot.

Its the final hole of your match, in alternate shot, and you are all tied up on #18 at Boulder Creek. You and your opponent are right in the same spot hitting your 3rd shots to the green (its a par 5), and your shots look like this:

https://golfchannel-a.akamaihd.net/ramp/376/374/12tipsxmas_01_tgl15015_breed_flop.jpg

You are hitting the shot for your team, and have to hit first, before your opponent. Your opponent seems to be a decent chipper, not great, but not bad.
For the purpose of this question, forget about your partner's opinion (obviously I hope you wouldnt in real life):

Do you try to pull off the amazing shot and get it within a few feet? Knowing if you leave it short you dump it in the bunker and likely lose?

Do you play it a little safer and try to hit a good shot/rather than great, and give yourself a 10-15 footer past the pin, saying we have a good chance to make the putt, but I dont have to be quite as precise?

Do you hit it way past the pin towards the back of the green, making sure you are absolutely on the green even if its a 30 footer?

Great Scenario!

For this shot I try to put it into a couple feet and have a great shot a birdie and to put a little pressure on my opponents. We are obviously playing for some bragging rights here so I'm giving this shot everything all I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think the answer is simple. Go at the pin knowing I'm not going to flub it in the sand. If I end up past the pin 10-13' that's the same leave as bailing out. No brainer here and id welcome the challenge. I'd also have faith in my partner to make the putt.

This chart explains perfectly why you at least give yourself a chance to leave it close knowing you'll keep it inside of 20feet even if you go for the pin. The closer the putt....the more likely my partner makes it. Bottom line.
1dd1a2dade1cc9f64abc4cae745fb85a.jpg

Lol you can throw that chart out the window when it's the last hole of the last match and there's a THP event on the line. But hey what do I know

Lol you can throw that chart out the window when it's the last hole of the last match and there's a THP event on the line. But hey what do I know

Have u played in a lot of team events in that situation? I have. Guarantee I love it inside of 15' 90-95% of the time. And yes I've played 4yrs hs....and local qualifiers with 50-75 people standing around the greens watching everyone come in. No one said it was easy, just the %s tell me what to do.

Also think it's my opinion (which I'm entitled to no?)

Have u played in a lot of team events in that situation? I have. Guarantee I love it inside of 15' 90-95% of the time. And yes I've played 4yrs hs....and local qualifiers with 50-75 people standing around the greens watching everyone come in. No one said it was easy, just the %s tell me what to do.

Sure we all love inside 15 feet. Who wouldn't. That's not the question. Why get greedy and screw your partner by short siding him leaving a nearly impossible up and down for par when center of the green and two putts was simple enough to win? Just my opinion (which I'm entitled to, no?)

Sure we all love inside 15 feet. Who wouldn't. That's not the question. Why get greedy and screw your partner by short siding him leaving a nearly impossible up and down for par when center of the green and two putts was simple enough to win? Just my opinion

Well I did say I know I wouldn't be leaving it short....but wouldn't bail out. So if it stops...yay! If not its past the pin safely. There's a lot of other variables that go into an extremely hypothetical question like this.

How's my lie? Does the green run away? Is ot dry? Is it wet? Are we up in the match? Has my pards had a decent putting day?

Man, if Alt Shot doesn't bring out the true team players! If I were the teammate that gave my partner this shot, I'd like to take the risk on the green and not the chip, way higher percentage shot. No way I'd like hitting the second shot in the situation from the bunker, short sided. Again.

I'll also say, given the situation, your partner gave you a position between a rock and a hard place, which is guaranteed to happen sometime. Gonna learn who you really are and how you think real quick up in here.

Great scenario Lions81, really thought provoking and promotes empathy (at least on my end).

As long as the lie is decent then it isn't really that hard of a shot assuming the green isn't rock hard sloping away. Just have to make sure to dial in flop shot yardages during practice so you are confident that you can carry the ball +/- 1 yard of the distance you want to.

Sure we all love inside 15 feet. Who wouldn't. That's not the question. Why get greedy and screw your partner by short siding him leaving a nearly impossible up and down for par when center of the green and two putts was simple enough to win? Just my opinion (which I'm entitled to, no?)

Ask DJ if 2 putts inside 15' is simple enough to win, when the pressure is on. Golf is a crazy game, I'd say closer to the hole is always better. I suppose the PhillyV/ PKorf is going to be the pairing to watch! Lots of fireworks

I think I figured out why Ohio's color is gray. Blah.
058d035c28f71a204f0d85ac777e54d9.jpg

I think I figured out why Ohio's color is gray. Blah.
058d035c28f71a204f0d85ac777e54d9.jpg
You must have just passed into Ohio. Toledo is still considered Michigan. Give it a few more miles and the sun will be out.

Ask DJ if 2 putts inside 15' is simple enough to win, when the pressure is on. Golf is a crazy game, I'd say closer to the hole is always better. I suppose the PhillyV/ PKorf is going to be the pairing to watch! Lots of fireworks

Ok so you pick one of the worst putters in the game on the biggest stage in golf and use that as an example? Makes sense

Ok so you pick one of the worst putters in the game on the biggest stage in golf and use that as an example? Makes sense

I left that one alone.

63 out of 184 in total putting, and 70th in strokes gained putting is one of the worst? That not even in the bottom half of the tour. Dang it is a tough crowd.

63 out of 184 in total putting, and 70th in strokes gained putting is one of the worst? That not even in the bottom half of the tour. Dang it is a tough crowd.

I was talking about the pressure of a THP event. You mentioned the US Open. In your opinion, how closely do they compare?

I was talking about the pressure of a THP event. You mentioned the US Open. In your opinion, how closely do they compare?

In tour golf, a guy moves on to the next week and has a shot at redemption. Not so much here.

Back