2016 Grandaddy Of Em All - We Want You

I joined THP in 2014, never been to an event (hoping this changes with Northeast Events scheduled for this year) and won the "Golden Ticket" which I'm opting to use on the Grandaddy.

If there is any doubt that selection isn't completely random, I should break that idea. My selection is the definition of random, I've never met anyone here nor do I know anyone here on a personal level. I was very surprised I won but completely ecstatic at the same time. Stop thinking about your odds and enter the contests and pray.

Love to see these thread bumped and think about this event every time I hit the gym or range. Come to think of it, anytime I think about golf, I think about this event.

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

....but you will. :thumb:

Dude, if you want to get into the Grandaddy all you have to do is enter the contests. You want to guarantee a spot? Get into the Gauntlet and win the MVP. Bust your ass for 2 days, and "drop dead" on the 18th green like Phil did last year.

To be fair, I don't believe there is a guaranteed spot this year other than "THE" golden ticket.

To be fair, I don't believe there is a guaranteed spot this year other than "THE" golden ticket.
That is correct, as of now. Things may change as the year goes on but for now there is no Autobid

Good luck to everyone who enters. I'll continue to support the entire process like years past. This event changed my life at the core. If people let it happen it can and will have that kind of impact on those selected too.
Couldn't have said it better myself hoping this year my life will be changed :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, I think Captain Canadan has a guaranteed spot also, but that could just be unfounded speculation on my part :tongue:

Hmm...well then I guess we'll all have to try based on our wits and pure luck.

Dude, if you want to get into the Grandaddy all you have to do is enter the contests. You want to guarantee a spot? Get into the Gauntlet and win the MVP. Bust your ass for 2 days, and "drop dead" on the 18th green like Phil did last year.

Very true. Did I get upset after a couple of the contests that I entered and didn't get picked? You bet I did. I thought I had the best entry for the contests. It just so happened that the people picking the entries didn't feel the same way. People should get upset they weren't picked for this once (or twice for TH) in a lifetime opportunity. But to come on here and assert there is a "Good Ole Boys Club" is a little insane.

Everyone can't be happy and that's just the way things are. Life isn't fair. We learn that early in school.

Thanks, I'm fully aware of how to enter THP contests and how MVPs (I.e. NebGolfer, Ryan and PhillyV, Phil) of certain events are guaranteed a spot in the Grandaddy.

Re-read my posts, I never once "asserted there is a 'Good Old Boys' club". I think it's in the best interest of THP not to have that perception. As long as those who enter THP events have the same chance of getting in, it's all good in my book. On the other hand, if the same members get picked year in and year out, it's going to take away from what THP is all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having caught up today, I am going to add my thoughts and they're going to be selfish.

I want in. If that means it's Canadan, a bunch of 1st timers and me, then awesome. Or if it's Canadan, all second timers and me, great. Or if it's a mixture of the 2, great. As long as I'm in.

I have always been happy and supportive of everybody involved. Including the good people at Callaway, they get to spend time with thpers and that's pretty cool.

If I'm a spectator again, I will be just as supportive.

But I want in.

Not sure what that has to do with captaining the Grandaddy team, but I am reviewing the SeeMore Giant M1t right now. Hope that's alright.

I just recall an exchange shortly before you were named captain. You said something to the effect that the Scotty would spend the year in the bag, and JB said something to the effect that he bets he could change that....

Game what makes you happy!
(Guess my joke missed....)

Having caught up today, I am going to add my thoughts and they're going to be selfish.

I want in. If that means it's Canadan, a bunch of 1st timers and me, then awesome. Or if it's Canadan, all second timers and me, great. Or if it's a mixture of the 2, great. As long as I'm in.

I have always been happy and supportive of everybody involved. Including the good people at Callaway, they get to spend time with thpers and that's pretty cool.

If I'm a spectator again, I will be just as supportive.

But I want in.

That about sums it up nicely. I just keep trying for the 'holy S4!t it's me moment'

I was fortunate enough to be selected for the 2015 #TheKing and I've been to the ECPC on my own personally accord. I have a pretty good idea how awesome being selected for the Grandaddy would be. With that said, I would want others to experience what I was lucky enough to experience (meeting JB and Morgan, making friends with fellow THPers/ZooCrew, and golf with everyone). So NO, I would not throw my name in for next year's event.

Statistically, if the contests are indeed random the chances of one getting selected again SHOULD be slim at best. If the same guys get SELECTED then IMO there is problem (real or perceived doesn't matter). Why would other THPers keep trying if they "think" people have been preselected?

IMO, there should be a "cooling off" period for those selected for any THP event and definitely the Grandaddy. Who knows 2 years?

Thanks, I'm fully aware of how to enter THP contests and how MVPs (I.e. NebGolfer, Ryan and PhillyV, Phil) of certain events are guaranteed a spot in the Grandaddy.

Re-read my posts, I never once "asserted there is a 'Good Old Boys' club". I think it's in the best interest of THP not to have that perception. As long as those who enter THP events have the same chance of getting in, it's all good in my book. On the other hand, if the same members get picked year in and year out, it's going to take away from what THP is all about.

SDN,
This is rough for me to hear. I get what you are saying but let me enlighten.
We never said the contests were random in years past. In fact the opposite, there was a panel of judges and creativity was part of the determining factor.
Many of our events are random however and this one might be this year.
Adding on, if you look at who gets in, nobody could ever accuse anything of fixing or choosing anything at all. First time event goers made up half the Grandaddy team last year. Think about that, guys that NEVER applied or went to anything else, made up half the team.
This years gauntlet? More than half of those that applied have never been to a THP Event either.

We do things live on the forum via video and it was called fix. We do it by Contest with Callaway as the judges, it was called fixed. We do it by random number generator, and it was called fixed. There is nothing we can do on our end when literally hundreds and hundreds of people want in and 10 get their name called and everybody thinks they "deserve" it.

If people want the event to continue, they will support it with conversation and by entering. If they dont, thats cool too and we can put our efforts somewhere else to continue to put together the greatest event ever created. But anybody that says "real and perceived" are the same thing is not trying to walk in the shoes of the person that has to make those announcements.

I will say this, I know there are some people who have wanted in this event so badly, that when they did not get in their outlook changed a great deal...

This event is too special to have the specialness clouded or tainted with negativity!
So, please... If you really have nothing nice to say about this event, the hosts, who gets to go, etc... STFU, because frankly enough is enough.
Be happy for those who get to experience this, and hope one day that you get to as well!

Ok, I've said what was on my mind in a manner that should leave zero question.
If you wish to discuss further let's take it to PM's and leave this thread turned towards the positive!

Thanks!

The Grandaddy doesn't deserve anything less then positive discussion.

Just feel blessed to have another shot at it this year and if it doesn't work out... I'll enjoy the hell out of following along again with the THP'ers who are there (regardless if it's their 1st time or not).

I will say this, I know there are some people who have wanted in this event so badly, that when they did not get in their outlook changed a great deal...

This is so sad to me.
1 person with over half a million readers. And not getting in does that. That makes me feel terrible, and frankly horrible. I know its the case, which is upsetting, but nobody buys a lottery ticket thinking they are going to win.

On a separate note, I will be at Callaway Golf in a few weeks and the first contest will come in THP Radio form (sort of) with me and Scotty G.

On a separate note, I will be at Callaway Golf in a few weeks and the first contest will come in THP Radio form (sort of) with me and Scotty G.

and BOOM!

Did he say first contest? :)

And let the games begin!!!!

This is so sad to me.
1 person with over half a million readers. And not getting in does that. That makes me feel terrible, and frankly horrible. I know its the case, which is upsetting, but nobody buys a lottery ticket thinking they are going to win.

#FrontRowSeat

I know its the case, which is upsetting, but nobody buys a lottery ticket thinking they are going to win.
I play slot machines with the full expectation that I'm going to win. Isn't that what they're supposed to do? :alien:

I play slot machines with the full expectation that I'm going to win. Isn't that what they're supposed to do? :alien:
only if youve been in as many Morgan Cups as me :alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien:

I mean, hundreds of us just KNEW we were going to win that Billion dollar PowerBall. #PositiveThinking

I'll speak once only about this, as normally I keep quiet about negativity and the like and run it's course hoping it's fixed. But it's disheartening to think that people can feel that way about THP. Events like the Granddaddy are talked about all year, and you have 100's (if not 1000's this year) trying to get in to 10 spots, while your odds are small (less than 1%) they are still better than the lottery, and I don't think I know of a single person that would ever say no to winning the lottery twice. the fact that people thing that "real or perceived" is the same thing flabbergasts me. THese may not be by chance, they may be by contest, they may be by creativity, but you all have the same chance to be creative, and just as creative as other people and get an entry. Coincidentally, if you don't enter, you also have the same chance as people who don't... 0%....

But most importantly, THP isn't JUST ABOUT EVENTS, there is SOOOOOOO much more to THP than the events they put on. Yes, they are memorable, and once (or twice) in a lifetime events playing amazing courses with amazing people that you will be able to call friends (I'll experience my first one in April for club clash... after missing out, and then getting lucky as a backup). Even if you don't get in you still get the feeling that you are there with them, just check out the UST thread and you'll think you're there with Shane and Nate. But I didn't join THP just to try to get into events. I joined THP to be able to talk to fellow golfers who all share the same passion about Golf as me, and to talk to people that can help me. THP is more than events, THP is about building a brotherhood with fellow golfers.

I beg anybody who thinks differently to spend sometime browsing the forums, talking to other members, maybe get out and golf with them and you will see.... this isn't an event forum, this is a brotherhood of like minded golfers who all share the same passion and genuinely want to help people.

Back