Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I'm having an internal debate, and I'm hoping some folks can chime in. I'd really appreciate input from casual TV watchers, to hard core bingers, even from folks who just watch reality and cooking shows.

And if you can answer the poll that would be great too!

Here's my question. Would you find it interesting in a TV show if every major player (including guest stars) had their own distinct color palette that surrounds them in their spaces?

i.e. A man is always dressed in cool tones. His office, house, car, etc all contain the same color palette. Think 5-10 cool shades with an accent here and there.

Would you notice? Would you like it? Would it help you subconsciously understand better who each character is?

When you answer if you could tell me how much of a TV watcher you are that would be incredibly helpful.

Looking forward to some input!

Where's the "whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?" option?

I think you qualify for the 2nd option in the poll.

I'm trying to quantify what you're talking about. You're saying that one character dresses in green, drives a green car, has green furniture, etc., then that character has a spouse who always dresses in yellow, drives a yellow car, etc.?

It could be interesting, but I’d definitely want to see before I commit.

I'm trying to quantify what you're talking about. You're saying that one character dresses in green, drives a green car, has green furniture, etc., then that character has a spouse who always dresses in yellow, drives a yellow car, etc.?

It's very difficult to put into words. But sort of. Not just one color, an entire palette.

Imagine each one of these palettes is assigned to a character. And it essentially goes with them. If they're in their bedroom, then you might see it used heavily, but if they're in someone else's bedroom, you might only see it in their wardrobe.

But throughout the show, each characters color palette remains the same.

color-palette-generator-4.png

It's very difficult to put into words. But sort of. Not just one color, an entire palette.

Imagine each one of these palettes is assigned to a character. And it essentially goes with them. If they're in their bedroom, then you might see it used heavily, but if they're in someone else's bedroom, you might only see it in their wardrobe.

But throughout the show, each characters color palette remains the same.

color-palette-generator-4.png

Ok, I'm definitely in the 2nd group. I'm slightly color blind anyway. I'd have no clue it was even going on.

Ok, I'm definitely in the 2nd group. I'm slightly color blind anyway. I'd have no clue it was even going on.

I appreciate the input. I have a suspicion that most won't notice, but then find myself wondering is it worth it for those who do?>

If you are interested in this I would highly suggest watching Better Call Saul. There is a ton of discussion how the colors of clothes presented are there for a reason. Outfit colors change based on characters moods... it's actually pretty genious when you get to the bottom of it.

Also surrounding one character and their own distinct color palette.... the character Marie Schrader from Breaking Bad fits this to a tee with all the shades of purple.

I’d find it interesting but it would help to see some examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also surrounding one character and their own distinct color palette.... the character Marie Schrader from Breaking Bad fits this to a tee with all the shades of purple.

I've never actually seen BB. Is she just regularly dressed in purple, or do the scenes she's the focal point in carry the same colors?

I've never actually seen BB. Is she just regularly dressed in purple, or do the scenes she's the focal point in carry the same colors?

I'd have to go back to check. I know for a fact everything she owns is purple but I don't remember if the scenes around her (away from home) have a lot of purple undertones. I think this may have been a starting point for the stuff going on in BCS

I'd have to go back to check. I know for a fact everything she owns is purple but I don't remember if the scenes around her (away from home) have a lot of purple undertones. I think this may have been a starting point for the stuff going on in BCS

It's very possible. Though the powers that be on BB (aside from Vince) were different than those on BCS.

If you are interested in this I would highly suggest watching Better Call Saul. There is a ton of discussion how the colors of clothes presented are there for a reason. Outfit colors change based on characters moods... it's actually pretty genious when you get to the bottom of it.

This is good. I appreciate the reference.

marie-schrader-purple-palace.jpg

46782334161_a3eec1151e_o.jpg

Now, would you watch a show where every major character is presented this way?

This is good. I appreciate the reference.

marie-schrader-purple-palace.jpg

Now, would you watch a show where every major character is presented this way?
Maybe not the same colors all the time but if they change based on mood or the surrounding situations I'm all for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think the movie Traffic did this. I liked it if so. The scenes in Mexico were more yellow and kinda old school looking. I can’t remember the different color schemes but I remember thinking it was a cool way to film the movie

This sounds really familiar. I feel like I watched something with this idea in design school, but it was a teaching tool instead of an actual show. We watched a short film and then took a short test about it questioning what we noticed and didn't notice. I keep returning and reading your post hoping to remember it better.

Either way, I like the idea.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Here’s an example

3876b717c3eae25bd27e78e7cfd85c77.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the movie Traffic did this. I liked it if so. The scenes in Mexico were more yellow and kinda old school looking. I can’t remember the different color schemes but I remember thinking it was a cool way to film the movie

That's using specific palettes to set a scene. It's done all the time to convey emotion in film and tv. I'm talking about attaching the colors to characters to subconsciously give you a feel for who they are.

Back