Bushnell Neo iON GPS Watch Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Good interview JB, didn't know about the pedometer. The Bushnell watches were already top notch and this one appears to be even better, plus it looks really good.

I used to have a golf watch but it bothered me when I swung. Just couldn't get used to it. Maybe now that they are lighter I could try again. It sounds like a great product. Nice interview!!

Glad to see these getting smaller and lighter....been thinking about acquiring one again.

I have the Neo XS. I need to check the Ion out. The Neo already measures how far you walked (in miles, not steps) but the battery is good for about 9 hours so 3 rounds between charges would be great. I am curious if more hazard info has been added. Thanks for the review.

Battery life for 3 rounds is huge. I have been eyeing a bushnell watch and this extended battery life may push me over the top to pick this one up

I've been thinking about getting my first GPS watch, and this is one of the top candidates. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Really been considering going back to a GPS device, so this has me intrigued.

The extended battery life is a huge deal, no more worrying about charging in between rounds, and 36 hole days are easy now!

The extended battery life is a huge deal, no more worrying about charging in between rounds, and 36 hole days are easy now!
FWIW, this is one area Bushnell has always excelled compared to most of the other watches. I can get 54 on my XS easy before charging.

FWIW, this is one area Bushnell has always excelled compared to most of the other watches. I can get 54 on my XS easy before charging.

yeah my Neo X battery life is still solid. I like the form factor of this watch.

now maybe i can get the neo xs for $90. just missed the amazon lightning deal the other day

I want this watch. It serves for more than just golf for me. As a pe teacher, XC/Baseball coach this watch is perfect. I can track steps taken and the stopwatch is what I need.

smaller size, extended battery life....sounds like a winner

Has anybody heard a release date for this watch? Not like I'll be needing it anytime soon (-2 here with wind chill), just asking out of curiosity.

Has anybody heard a release date for this watch? Not like I'll be needing it anytime soon (-2 here with wind chill), just asking out of curiosity.
March is stuck in my head for some reason.

Ouch. 84 here tomorrow, sorry Misike. I have the Neo XS and this sounds like a good upgrade. I think you would like the watch. I use it along with a laser and really do not notice it in any negative way while playing.

The ponder is strong with this one - I like the idea of getting 3 rounds on a single charge. Makes the golf weekend that much easier and I can continue to forget my charger at home, this time without consequence.

I have the Neo X and I love it, I have been thinking about an upgrade and this would be perfect.

GPS watches are great; I prefer it to my laser rangefnder

I have a Bushnell Neo XS watch that I really like. Bought it over the Garmin because of the battery life. I do like that it gives distances to hazards. I don't really want something smaller, my eyesight isn't what it once was. The only issue I have with it is that it will sometimes jump a hole ahead on me. I do have and use a rangefinder when I get in range of the pin, but I do crosscheck with the distance on my watch when I think I may not have hit the pin with it.

I will be buying a new GPS watch in 2016. So far, I love everything mentioned about this one in that video: smaller, lighter, simple front/center/back display, and extended battery life.

Its in some stores now and can be had at golfsmith for 199 (decently good imo) .

Too bad I just bought (about 2 to 3 weeks ago) the neo-xs. However I didn't expect this one to be out yet so I am a tad bummed. But to be fair to myself I got the xs for $114 so that imo was pretty worthwhile.

But I don't know if the extra bucks for the ion is really offering so much more. It seems to function the same and similar features. The main differences seem to be the battery but even that was still very good on the xs. Playing 3 rounds in a day has never happened and how often will it? But I suppose the big advantage is if one forgets to charge it and that's when the better battery would possibly pay off'. Other than that I don't believe the features have any real significant upgrade so I suppose its more about the new look and if its noticeably thinner. And now that soon enough the xs will probably be had for about 100 I dont know if the ion is 100 dollars worth of thinner and nicer looking. Perhaps who ever seen it and knows both could better answer that. Had I not just bought the xs for 114 I probably would have pulled the trigger on this for the 199. But would it been worth the extra 85ish dollars? I don't really know.

Does the Ion give you ranges to the Front, Middle and Back of the green depending on angle of approach. I heard the XS range is only good from the middle of fairway. The Garmins and a few others will give ranges in Near, Middle and Far to the green regardless of the angle of approach. Not sure I'm wording this clearly enough.

Back