Your Game: Today Vs 10 Years Ago

10 years ago, I had just joined ClubLink after the market crashed as it was a fantastic deal. Was just starting to go golf crazy at that time. In 2008, I played 120 rounds. In 2018, I played 13. Funny though, I'm a better player now than in 2008. Probably just have much better course management, have my pride under control and play from the correct tees from my game. None of this I'm a young idiot attitude! Sadly though my golfing prime was probably late 2009 (where I started to break 90) through to 2015 (when I gave up my membership).

10 years ago I maybe played 1 round .. pretty non-existent golf game back then

10 years ago I was about to begin a period when I didn't touch a club for almost a year and a half. Needless to say, my game is in a much better place now in every way!

Didn't play very often for a span back then, maybe 10-15 rounds per year. Somehow managed to maintain in the 5-7 range (unofficial).

I was much longer off the tee and with woods. Played a draw through the bag, my buddy's would laugh that I'd even draw a full SW. Ballstriking was very good, short game and putting not so much.

Now I'm around a 2-something, low of 1.5. Out with an injury now, when I get back it's sure to spike.

I've lost yardage with driver and hybrids yet I've maintained with irons. I'm longer with the CF-16's but when I put my Mizunos back in the bag for a few rounds last spring, I was right where I was previously with them.

I'm more accurate now, particularly with driver. My consistent draw has been gone for 3 years now. I'll fade more often than draw but mostly hit straightish shots.

Much better chipper and putter but I've lost a dependable flop, just haven't grown fully accustomed to the bermuda rough here and have shaken confidence. And I've gotten worse in greenside bunkers.

I never practice, some maybe 10 years ago, now only chipping and putting. So crazy thing is, hitting more greens has decreased my frequency in the sand so my technique has suffered. I was awful, but things were looking up toward the end.

Overall, I'd been extremely happy with my game since playing more often here in NC. If only my back would play nice. Because of it, I still feel like there's an offseason. I've lost 8 out of the last 17 months to injury (more if you count the time necessary to get back up to speed) and it will be a few more months probably before I can test the waters to play again. Just had an epidural shot this morning (1st time ever getting one) and another in 2 weeks, hopefully that will make for a much more optimistic outlook.

10 years ago the only golf I played was charity outings as I was too busy playing other sports. I could bomb the ball off the tee, irons were ok and everything else was suspect. I was probably slightly better than a bogey golfer. Today I'm a single digit when my game is firing on all cylinders and my head is not a mess. My distance of the tee has dwindled but my short game and putting have gotten better.

I didn't have a game 10 years ago, not to say it does now but at least I get to play several round a year now.

My handicap is similar. Maybe few stroke better on average now.
Distance wise I was full club longer.
Now I play smarter, much better short game and putting is much steady.
I still play aggressive golf but not reckless.
I play percentage golf now. I don’t do 20-30% possibility shots anymore.

Also much better companion as player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 years ago, at the young age of 61, I was driving the ball about 25/35 yards farther than today, and my irons were probably 2 clubs stronger. A 7 iron that used to go 150/160 yards, now goes 130/135. Age, loss of flexibility and spine surgery have contributed to the loss of distance. I've moved up a tee to the "senior" tees, and on a really good day can still break 80.

10 years ago I wasn't really playing at all. I think maybe once or twice a year if that? I was also extremely bad when/if I did play.

Handicap is the same as 10 years ago. Fortunately, I've gotten back to that level of play as I had a multi-year draught in 2010 for shoulder surgery then grad school and finally got to play more than 6 times a year this past summer. 2018 was a great year of golf for me. Looking forward to 2019 I'm really hoping to finally break my pb that I had in 2008 and that was an 81.

10 years it's night and day.

A decade ago I couldn't not slice a ball, so glad I figured that part out!

And THP wasn't in my life yet, which has overhauled my golf game!

I barely played if at all in 2009. Really started taking golf seriously in 2016 when I joined a golf league with my father in law. Before that it was just go out and have fun occasionally.

Played more then. Play better now

My game is 100% better than it was 10 year ago*

*I didn't play golf 10 years ago.

I didn't play 10 years ago as i had given it up. I was not very good then at all. Now with the lessons i am getting i play way better but i have a LONG way to go on improvement. I am enjoying the game so much more having a better swing and working to improve that as much as possible. The equipment choices now don't hurt either.

I only started playing in 2012.

2009 was my first summer of golf. Played probably 20 rounds, didn't keep a handicap, and didn't break 100.

Starting 2019 off as a 12. With a baby on the way, I'll be more than pleased with 20 rounds this year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have shaved off about 7 to 8 strokes off of ten years ago. I still tend to hover around 11.0 to 13.5 which drives me nuts. Most of its course management stuff that I am thinking will never get worked out. I am still out there every weekend trying to get better. I used to be afraid of competition, but with the help of THP Events and local tourneys, I am becoming comfortable and really enjoy it. Hoping this is the year I get my index below 10!

Like the end of winter weather: My golf game is a bunch of ???? (well okay, really more likely ?@#!!)

Ten years ago, I was a decent weekend warrior. Goal was always to break par (which I hardly ever did) and upset if I didn't break 80 on the muni's. The golf swing wasn't holding me back any, and I was and have always been an underachiever. Not having played in three years I have no clue what to expect.

So far I've only been able to hit three buckets of balls, before the snow hit again... I'm using my putting matt and swinging around a weighted club going crazy at home hoping I'm able to get outside tomorrow or sometime this weekend. Now that I've worked out this years course/range membership, all I can think about is how to take advantage of it.

That's what brought me to this forum.

So my game: Today vs. 10 Years Ago = Unsubstantiated Dreams of Grandeur vs. Deficient Actualization of Reality.

Excited to play, whatever the ? turns into.

Ten years ago I wouldn’t have even considered myself a golfer honestly. I might have played a handful of rounds and it was more or less just getting out for the day with friends and having some beers outside during the day in a socially acceptable way. Haha!

Now, well now I spend as much time as I can on this fantastic online golf community we affectionately call THP. Enough said...

2009: focused on racing my 6th, and final, Ironman Triathlon and running a fall marathon. Golf = 0 rounds, started playing in 2012.
2019: will likely play 100+ rounds. Estimated number of 100+ mile bike rides = 0. Biggest difference between then and now is $%#@ 20 lbs!!! :at-wits-end:

Scoring about the same due to a better short game. Distance has definitely dwindled some from mid 40s to mid 50s.

I was just a couple years into taking the game seriously. Had a group I played with every day, learning the game, and having a blast.

I had a better short game, but scored terribly. Terrible off the tee and with the irons.

Man I had a lot of fun though.

10 years ago I wasn’t even playing golf. Stopped for 15 years to play hockey and tennis. But last time I played I was lucky to break 90. Now I’m an 8 index and shoot in the 70s occasionally.

10 years sago I was chasing + super hard, and getting angry about it.

Today, I'm playing perfectly viable golf, sharing my knowledge with people (only when they ask), and loving my rounds because of the people I am with, not my score.

Couldn't be happier.

Back