Your Game: Today Vs 10 Years Ago

10 years ago I played around 4 rounds a year and was usually drunk by the 3rd tee box.

Today I'm a floundering 7 cap who plays just well enough to stay there.

10 years ago I hammered the driver now I can’t hit it out of my shadow.
My short game is better now but I would rather have my length back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 years ago I played around 4 rounds a year and was usually drunk by the 3rd tee box.

Today I'm a floundering 7 cap who plays just well enough to stay there.

One of the greatest cartmates ever.

Your Game: Today Vs 10 Years Ago

Played 10x in 2008
Played 38 something last year

Didn’t have a handicap

7.9 today

All facets of the game are improved except my scripting, I dressed better back in the day

Played 10x in 2008
Played 30 something last year

Didn’t have a handicap

7.9 today

All facets of the game are improved except my scripting, I dressed better back in the day

Play 100 times in 2019. Dare you.

10 years ago I was 3 years away from picking up a golf club for the first time and 5 years away from taking the game seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I was the golfer ten years ago that I am today. stop chasing distance, get more accurate and consistent, be a better putter. I've seen so many people who aren't long win state AM's and USGA tournaments. The guy who hits the most greens and makes more putts wins way more often.

10 years ago I was into my first year of my golf hiatus. HS sports took over and I didn't have time to play. Did not play from 2007 until 2017.

I wish I was the golfer ten years ago that I am today. stop chasing distance, get more accurate and consistent, be a better putter. I've seen so many people who aren't long win state AM's and USGA tournaments. The guy who hits the most greens and makes more putts wins way more often.

Good observation. Golf is ultimately about how many, not how far.

The 10 Year Bag Challenge got me thinking back to my game 10 years ago and how it has changed both for better and worse.

So the question is, how is your game today vs how it was 10 years ago? Overall is it better or worse? What parts of your game have improved, and what have regressed? Any reasons why?

10 years ago I was a solid 25 HI. Now I hover around a 10. The biggest improvement by far has been in my short game, which I work hard at. As amateurs we don't hit a lot of greens, so a good short game is important. In addition, a good short game doesn't require youth or athleticism to develop.

Other than a bunch of rain I've already forgotten about last year let alone 10 years ago. My boys were 7 & 5 so I was probably coaching t-ball & soccer...

10 years ago I have just bought my first set of name brand clubs, Cobra King FP irons. Was just starting to play in a weekly league of 9 holes where my handicap there was 14 for 9 holes. Now I'm playing a bit more and have decreased my handicap to 5 for 9 holes (currently a 13.5 GHIN). Hoping this year I can get out for some more 18 hole rounds that aren't best ball outings.

2.9 10 years ago today.
8.3 as of last update.

Played 59 rounds in 2008
Played 16 rounds in 2018

Did hit more balls on the range and course with launch monitor in 2018, so there is that.

You need to drop the torch and play more! You run the best golf website on the planet and you only play once a month?? Duties and all, yada yada. :)

I appreciate what you do here, don't get me wrong. It just makes me a little sad that my enjoyment is coming at you missing out on playing more.

As to the thread, I came back to the game about 6 years ago after giving it up (other than an occasional scramble) for 10 years or so, mainly due to starting a family and being the worlds buggest football junky (only had time for one hobby, I'm an "all in" type of guy). The last official HC I had prior to leaving the game I was a +.

First real round back, the game came easy to me. I chipped in for birdie on the first hole and hit my only ever HIO on the par 4 10th (it was only 267 yards). Ended up shooting a -2 69 and damn near had a second hole in one, missing it by maybe an inch. I thought this second golf journey was going to be so easy, hahaha at myself. Dead wrong.

I ended this season in a "jumped off the frickin cliff" situation as an 8.8. Barely better than my 13 year old who's a 9.6. He beat me straight up a couple times! Kids. They show no respect (and maybe I have a fragile ego:)).

On the positive I was probably a 5 or less the past 5 years. I didn't start tracking it until this year when I hoped I'd get into a THP event, so felt I'd need one. I'm so dang inconsistent that on any given day I could be accused of having a vanity cap OR being a sandbagger. I don't like the thought of being labeled either, so my 2019 goal is to be more consistent. Nothing else other than to have fun and cherish the time with my dad and kids.

I have seen it so much. My swing gets worse (more over the top and less smooth) as time goes by, but honestly I wouldn't change anything. I get to see and play some pretty special places and get to visit and spend time with THPers getting once in a lifetime treatments every month. So there is some win there. What's crazy is I love the game as much now as I ever have.

Ok. I feel a little better than my last post now:)

I still think you should play more. None of us would begrudge you if instead of there being 10 spots for an event there was only 9 due to you playing in it.

But this is almost assuredly why you've been so successful with this.

Ten years ago I couldn't hit a driver and never bagged one. Today, my driver is the most reliable club in my bag.

I hate to even think of this because all the hard work ,lessons, and practice Ive put into it and yet Im really not much better at all. Money, time, efforts. better ball striker, better at short stuff, much more knowledge and yet I cant repeat any of it all that much more consistently. Oh Im better by some strokes. I have less blow ups. But I am no where at all as better to match the efforts I have out into it. Its kind of disheartening to be honest.

I hate to even think of this because all the hard work ,lessons, and practice Ive put into it and yet Im really not much better at all. Money, time, efforts. better ball striker, better at short stuff, much more knowledge and yet I cant repeat any of it all that much more consistently. Oh Im better by some strokes. I have less blow ups. But I am no where at all as better to match the efforts I have out into it. Its kind of disheartening to be honest.

The only thing comparing my the past 10 yrs has done was make me realize that you just have to be one the luckier ones where as you were much more able to pick up this game and play it much more consistently. And Im not one of them who has been fortunate enough to do that.

If you are able to get outdoors and are able to find enjoyment playing golf, then you are better off than many people who wish they were able to golf but can't because of being disabled or confined to a hospital bed. Basically what I'm saying is that score is not nearly as important as your level to enjoy playing the game and savoring the few moments in which you pull off a couple of memorable shots during a round of golf, and the great times on the course with golfing partners.

If you are able to get outdoors and are able to find enjoyment playing golf, then you are better off than many people who wish they were able to golf but can't because of being disabled or confined to a hospital bed. Basically what I'm saying is that score is not nearly as important as your level to enjoy playing the game and savoring the few moments in which you pull off a couple of memorable shots during a round of golf, and the great times on the course with golfing partners.
I can certainly understand that. But as is human nature we tend to concern ourselves (feeling wise) with what we have going on in our own lives. Most anything any of us do or how any of us live we can find others we are more fortunate than. And it may sound selfish but truth is that we can still become frustrated in dealing with what we have on our plates even if others don't have it. Because whats relevant to us is what is on our own plates. That's whats in our world at the time.

When Sandy hit the northeast my town was without power for nearly 3 week. I remember at a town meeting during that time one person at that meeting standing up and getting angry with everyone for complaining because she had lived through the disaster of hurricane katrina in the south which by comparison didn't compare to our (relatively speaking) minor problem of waiting impatiently for our power restoration. While her points were valid, truth is it wasn't relevant. What we had at that time is that we waited a long time to get power and that (regardless of what others went through) was relevant to us and our world at that time.

So while its not wrong to be thankful for not having it as bad as others , it also not wring to complain about what it is that is affecting us in whatever life and world we live in and for whatever is on our plates. Im playing golf while others cant afford to and don't have the time to or are disabled, or a thousand other unfortunate reasons. I can appreciate that and im not without compassion and realization I have a lot more than given others and am a giving person as well. But still as for what is in my world and whats on my plate its not wrong to vent or be unhappy with it at times. Looking at the unfortunate events and scenarios of others can work to help one cope with what are lessor problems but they can still be unhappy with them anyway. Obviously if I was that unhappy all the time I just wouldn't play. Imean whats the sense to spend that oney and time not enjoying yourself? But still plenty times I feel disheartened and beaten in a way with all I put in and the results don't match the efforts and time and money. looking at those less fortunate isn't always a means for feeling better. Sometimes it is but often enough its not. That's jjst human nature.

10 years ago, breaking 100 was a celebration, now 95 or less is the normal and I flirt with 90 a lot more now, even been breaking it more often than in the past.

My ball striking has improved, along with distance. The worm burners are still there from time to time, but not as frequent, and comparing where I was 10 years ago in terms of distance to where I was near the end of the 2018 golf season, I think I have gained about a club worth of distance.

My tee game might have gotten worse but I think because I am farther off the tee now vs back then and my misses were farther off center. Can't wait to see how the next few years un fold as I am built for success now!

Cool idea for a thread!
10 years ago 2008- I played a lot more than the past two seasons for sure. I was working on getting my cap down to single digits and playing my local 9 hole course every weekday morning. I think my average was about + 9-11 over par , poor putting killed me. Overall pretty good year maybe over practiced on the range.
present 2018- I didn’t play anywhere near as much as 10 years ago maybe 1-2 rounds a week in the peak Summer months. Biggest change in my game definitely much straighter off the tee. Short irons about same, much better putting over the years and better short game overall. Did not keep up my USGA handicap but probably scoring in the high 70s to 82 average. It definitely helped my game playing many more courses than the same course every day( and wider fairways)!

Back