Your Game: Today Vs 10 Years Ago

Don't think I was really playing 2008, probably just driving range crushing and slicing the crap out of every ball

Now, approx 15.5 hdcp , a whopping 2 eagles ever, and 0 HOI after 6-7 years of "serious" play

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10 years ago...
GHIN 9.0 (if I remember correctly)

Today.....
GHIN 5.0

Differences...
I'm not as long with the driver (lost about 10 yds) but I hit more fairways. (swinging smoother and smarter)
My putting is better. My misses leave me a lot more tap ins and less 3 putts.
My short game is better overall, but I don't seem to get as many chip-ins.
Course management is better. I don't go for the "Hero" shots as much.

Ten years ago I was just coming off a long layoff, playing clubs I'd had since 1990 - 91, and probably hitting in the mid to high 90s most of the time, but with triple digits thrown in often enough. Shortly after getting back into the game I started updating my bag with modern clubs, and what a difference that made! I've improved in every aspect of the game, and although these last couple of years I've seen a loss of distance off the tee with the driver, and some loss with the longer clubs, my distance with 5-iron on down has stayed pretty consistent. My driver accuracy is WAY BETTER than back then, as is my short game. Scoring is still inconsistent, but primarily is high 80s to mid 90s, with a current index of 18.2.

One other difference between ten years ago and now, I probably play more now, but I also play way more solo than I used to. I play a lot of different courses, which I really enjoy, and end up meeting lots of good people while playing.

Well, I quit playing about 10 years ago after some really bad golf following a back surgery.

Before back surgery, I was usually mid to high 70's with a few rounds in the mid 80's sprinkled in. I even broke par a handful of times.

I am about a year back into golf now and have one round in the 70's (barely, it was a 79) and a lot of blow up rounds - like nuclear explosion type of blow ups.

The difference is I am actually starting to take the time to understand and ingrain some fundamentals, whereas before, I was just a feel player. So, I think my game is on a much better track than before and I am certainly enjoying it much more.

Love the question though - it's fun to reflect and put things in perspective!

What a difference 10 years can make. In 2009 I was 55 and getting professional coaching once per month and going to the range 2x per week in the quest for a single digit index. Played once per week and consistently shot 80 - 84 playing from the back tees. It's also the year my work took a turn that lead to only playing once per month, if that, for 8 years.

Fast forward to today. 3 year retired and playing 2x per week. Will shoot 82 one time then turn around and shoot 93 next time out. The old skills are there, and sometimes come out, but not practicing means they are not consistently usable.

But I think I do enjoy my outings more now than then.

Rock
Go Big Orange

Back