Poll: Have you seen measurable success with Indoor putting

Poll: Have you seen measurable success with Indoor putting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can't say I'm a better putter for it, but during the winter I work on my mechanics. I use a putting mirror and work on my shoulder/head position and alignment, and putting stroke. I'll putt with my eyes closed most of the time so I can feel the stroke and go into spring feeling confident about my putter.

I'll putt with my eyes closed most of the time so I can feel the stroke and go into spring feeling confident about my putter.

Great drill and even a method used by some pros on the course. Visual perception has a big influence in putting and can lead to manipulation of the putter. With your eyes closed you are making a natural swing.

First started hitting putts inside on carpet probably 5 years ago. It helped me develop a consistent routine & stroke. Then I'd get out on the course and take three strokes to get to the hole from 30 feet.

Now when the weather gets better and the greens are getting cut & rolled I'll work on those 20 & 30 footers to get the distance feel more than anything.

I look at this the same way I look at any practice really. If it's just doing he same thing over and over and expecting different results (like pounding balls on the range) then success will be limited. If working on technique then i don't think it matters if it's indoor or outdoors.

I have seen no improvement, but I think it is what JB was saying. I'm not getting instruction, so therefore I am just doing my same thing over and over again. If it doesn't work on the course, practicing inside isn't going to help.

I picked up a couple of drills from a putter fitting I had this year, so I am trying to work on those to see if it will help my game.

I practice pretty much every day, but it's focusing on my SPi training: stance, setup, posture, tempo, etc. Over the last 2 years I've been working to improve my putting routine, and it's helped a lot.

One measurable (or at least noticeable) improvement: I used to absolutely HAVE to use a ball with a line on it, and I would have to line up the ball first, then take my stance & align my putter to hit the ball. If I looked at the hole from my stance it appeared to me that i was off line, but I learned to trust that initial read and alignment and it worked pretty well.

Since I got this birdie ball putting green & took my SPi lessons, I've learned how to eyeball the putt from above the ball - not quite into my final stance but easy enough to get into it once I set my club down behind the ball. I no longer need an alignment line, and now every flat putt looks good to me when I line it up. My make % is much higher now (85-95% from 10 feet, not using the same line but re-setting up each time using the same routine).

I think I'm a lot quicker & more decisive on the greens too - at least for straight putts from 10 feet & in.

One thing that really helped: every so often I read over my notes from my SPi lessons and re-check my fundamentals to make sure bad habits haven't crept in.

Can't say I'm a better putter for it, but during the winter I work on my mechanics. I use a putting mirror and work on my shoulder/head position and alignment, and putting stroke. I'll putt with my eyes closed most of the time so I can feel the stroke and go into spring feeling confident about my putter.

The one fault I really have to work on is pulling my left shoulder back & around - which pulls the putt to the left. It doesn't take much to throw this off, so it's a constant focus issue for me. It helps to work on this indoors in the winter.

none. zip. zero. zilch. bought a putting arc and a sindolar clip, and saw absolutely no gains. while my stroke is fundamentally flawed, the issues that were causing me the most problems were mental. the things that have helped the most recently have been switching to a strong arc #9, and reading unconscious putting by dave stockton.

When I putt indoors, over and over on the same putt, I find myself changing the stroke to match the putt rather than get the fundamentals correct.

My carpet has too low a stimp. I need to practice putting on the linoleum of my kitchen floor to get used to the fast greens on the golf courses.

I focused on improving my stroke last winter and have been working on a consistent follow-through this year.

Yes. I have been putting time indoors on my putting. I had a very inconsistent stroke and with a grip change I just need some reps. I get more feedback when I use my Sklz putting mat but even just carpet putting allows me to start grooving my stroke.

Definitely helps maintain tempo and just comfort over a putt.

I can't see how putting as much as u can during the Winter can be a bad thing. I wish I had the space in my house to have indoor putting

I have seen a major improvement since I purchased a mat. Big difference in my game.

I didn't have a good feel for pace which caused me to leave the ball way short. I have improved my feel with indoor practice. Not sure if it's the repetitions, the new putters, or the putting mirror, but I've improved considerably.

Setting the putter aside for months is not good for the game. I like to have the putter in my hands at least once a week during the winter months and as spring approaches more like every day.
One of the most important things in consistent putting is how close to the sweet spot you hit the ball and that is down to practice and practice alone. Practice also insures the little things that make a good routine and that make for good pace in my routine get lost if I don't pick the club up and work at them.

Back