Wedge shaft length

NullNomad

Golf Course Miscreant
Reaction score
Handicap
work
I know this was touched on several years ago here on THP, but as time goes on information and tech changes. So I pose the subject again.

I'm noticing that as I've been working on my game, my wedges feel uncomfortably short when I swing. I've always been confident and struck them well, but as I've changed my posture and swing plane, I just can't seem to make good contact anymore. Has anyone tinkered with extending wedge shafts?

I know this was touched on several years ago here on THP, but as time goes on information and tech changes. So I pose the subject again.

I'm noticing that as I've been working on my game, my wedges feel uncomfortably short when I swing. I've always been confident and struck them well, but as I've changed my posture and swing plane, I just can't seem to make good contact anymore. Has anyone tinkered with extending wedge shafts?

I play mine:

GW - 1/2" short of my PW length
SW - 1/4" short of GW
LW - 1/4" short of SW

Its helped me with the feeling you are talking about, I play irons either 1/4 to 1/2 long of standard so I have to extend wedges I get, or order them longer than standard to start.

I play all of my irons and wedges with 3/8” gapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick feedback! I found it interesting that there's so much talk about driver shaft length as well as the uptick in same length irons, but the wedges get left out more often than not. I have a wedge fetish like some do with putters, so I have them laying all over the house. Think an upcoming weekend project will be in the garage doing some building...

I play my wedges

PW 1/2" shorter than 9 iron
GW/SW Same length as PW (I hate short wedges)
LW 1/4" shorter than GW/SW

I play 5° gaps between wedges.

I play my wedges (52/56/60) all 1/4" shorter after the GW. But they are all slightly longer than standard.

PW - 1/2" from 9 iron
GW - 1/2" from PW
52 - 1/4" from GW
56 - 1/4" from 52
60 - 1 1/4" from 56

I play my putter at 36.5" and would like to play my wedges longer than the standard 35" to 35.5" range, because I think longer shafted wedges would help me have a more comfortable green side chipping-pitching address posture.
But, I have not played extended shaft length wedges because of swing weight issues as well as longer shot distance gaps. Maybe in a future set purchase I will give longer shafted wedges a try.

PW:Cut to D3, SW D4, Lw D3...they are about 35.5

I play my wedges like these

Pw 36.0 "
Gw 35.5"
54 35.5"
60 35.5"

My wedges:

Club/Loft/Lie/Length
PW/45/66/36
GW/50/66/36
SW/54/67/36
LW/60/67/36

I play 5 wedges including pitching wedge. I refer to two as gap wedges although the first is only 1° less than my PW. Even have wonky spacing between SW and LW but it all works as to spaced yardages on course w/full swing .

46° - .25" shorter than 45° PW

52° - .25" shorter than previous

56° - .25" LONGER than previous (equal to 46°)

58° - .5" shorter than previous

I guess on the wedge it's what works, I tend to play my gw and SW same as pw stock standard, I play mizzys mp15 just for reference

I've always felt the stock especially tm wedges felt short in my mind, it's amazing how a.5 " feels different

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

All of my wedges are + 1/2" from standard. That gives me the ability to hit a full shot without having too much restriction. I can also choke up or down depending on the distance and the shot. To me at least the extra 1/2" gives me a lot more flexibility in my shots.

Thanks for all the feedback!! Going to be ordering everything I need to go ahead and extend my wedges. I have several laying around with the same loft, so I’ll do one each at +.5, +.75, +1 and see how it goes.

Back