Portland Area early Feb

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I have to go to Beaverton Feb week 1. I know winters are usually cool and rainy, but I am very unfamiliar with the area.

Should I bring my clubs, or is it not worth it?

I have to go to Beaverton Feb week 1. I know winters are usually cool and rainy, but I am very unfamiliar with the area.

Should I bring my clubs, or is it not worth it?
Yes, bring the clubs. There are two courses that drain well and are playable year round. One is Stone Creek, in Oregon City, which will be about 30 minutes from you in Beaverton. The second course is Langdon Farms, about 15-20 minutes south, straight down I-5. I prefer Langdon, though plenty of others prefer Stone Creek.
And if you are pondering any clubs at all for 2019 make an appointment at Red Tail (in Beaverton) for a fitting - pretty easily the best fitting center in the state, they'll have all the new stuff in multiple shaft options. PM me for details on any of this or if you have questions.

Frank nailed it, not much to add. Actually supposed to have some sunshine that week. high 40s, low 50s.

I played Langdon with Frank a while back. Still one of my favorites.

Yes, bring the clubs. There are two courses that drain well and are playable year round. One is Stone Creek, in Oregon City, which will be about 30 minutes from you in Beaverton. The second course is Langdon Farms, about 15-20 minutes south, straight down I-5. I prefer Langdon, though plenty of others prefer Stone Creek.
And if you are pondering any clubs at all for 2019 make an appointment at Red Tail (in Beaverton) for a fitting - pretty easily the best fitting center in the state, they'll have all the new stuff in multiple shaft options. PM me for details on any of this or if you have questions.

Also, Oregon still has no sales tax (I believe the only state in the union with that as well) so for bigger purchases that can be a nice little discount (save you almost 10% from buying in California).

The Reserve was my course growing up. Has hosted a pga champions tour event in the past. Nice set of 36 holes. One side is open to the public and swaps every 2 weeks (at least back in the day). Also where Nike used to do it's on course testing and where I had to deal with half the course being shut down because a Mr. Wiger Toods was on the course that day.

Bring clubs, likely the weather will be playable; however, I strongly recommend wet weather gear. If you are hesitant to play in the rain it's a completely mixed bag on if it will rain or not in February. Also when it does rain it is more of a mist.

Also no sales tax in Oregon was mentioned. While buying a TV is unlikely unless you are buying, small electronics and golf equipment travels easily. If you can get to Wilsonville there is a Frys which usually has some good deals running every week.

Also agree on the Redtail note. They are a solid option in Beaverton and they do have a decent course. There are also some tour van options in the Portland Metro area that used to be a part of Nike team. I believe Rory's fitter when he was at Nike still has a van and does consumer fittings.

The Reserve is a fun play but unless things have changed since the last time I was there it doesn't drain very well. Pumpkin Ridge is the best play in the area but it doesn't drain well either. That's really the rub up here - you'll catch winter days where the skies are clear but the ground is still saturated at most courses.

The Reserve is a fun play but unless things have changed since the last time I was there it doesn't drain very well. Pumpkin Ridge is the best play in the area but it doesn't drain well either. That's really the rub up here - you'll catch winter days where the skies are clear but the ground is still saturated at most courses.

I'm surprised to hear that Pumpkin Ridge drains poorly. Isn't that a top tier course?

I'm surprised to hear that Pumpkin Ridge drains poorly. Isn't that a top tier course?

Yes, it is. It's hosted a few US Am's, an LPGA event and currently hosts a web.com event, etc

I haven't played there in a decade and last was on property in 2014. I thought back then the south course drained okay while the north course got fairly soggy.

Pumpkin Ridge was fun to play in few times I got a chance to as a teen.

Also agree on the Redtail note. They are a solid option in Beaverton and they do have a decent course. .

they have not done a great job of maintaining it the last couple years and it...does not drain well lets say. It is the course closest to me and between the poor maintenance and the sluggish pace of play, it would not be high on my recommend to play lists. It is a recipe for lost balls and a pedestrian play experience unfortunately.

Well, guess I shouldn't rely on 10 year old knowledge

Played there with some friends last March... I would concur that it drains very poorly.

For draining purposes and best places to play i concur with the other posters, Stone Creek and Langdon Farms were always best when it's been wet

Back