Honest opinion on what to do for new irons

As I am sure you know, irons are your scoring clubs. The shaft and proper lie angles matter more than the club head. So make sure you get fit for the proper shaft and get the lie angles right. If it were me, that would be my priority. THEN I'd look at the forgiveness and performance of the club head as a final determinant.

Buy what you REALLY like, assuming they are not blades that you like!

I went from the Burners to the JPX825 and really like what I am playing.

Get what feels the best to you. Is TM the only brand you are considering? Don't limit yourself when testing out irons.

I agree with majority of the comments but would add one more. Whatever you select, you must luv the look of the club when you are over the ball so you have confidence in both yourself and the club. It sounds like whatever you select you'll have for a few years or more so take your time. Good luck (PS...don't forget the GT Expo that ends today, I bought a new 3W and Hybrid and got $150 plus tax plus trade-in value by trading in some clubs from 15-20 years ago. Was significantly cheaper than EBay given the weak CAD$)

I'm not trying to go with just TM, but from what I hit so far and budget, they seem to have good options. I didn't want to go thru the process of hitting super expensive irons, knowing that I wouldn't be able to grab them.

As well, I got to like the look like others mentioned. I heard so many great things about the G30s but I can't stand the look of them. But I'm open to try all options I guess

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I really appreciate it so far

Pick the best combination of looks and performance for your game, if you don't like them you won't want to go out and play them.

I'm not trying to go with just TM, but from what I hit so far and budget, they seem to have good options. I didn't want to go thru the process of hitting super expensive irons, knowing that I wouldn't be able to grab them.

As well, I got to like the look like others mentioned. I heard so many great things about the G30s but I can't stand the look of them. But I'm open to try all options I guess

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I really appreciate it so far
If you are considering Speed Blades to lower the price, why not prior models from other manufacturers. Off the top of my head...Ping I-25's, the prior model Callaway Apex, etc

Buy what you love if you buy on reccomendation of others you probably with be dissapointed I purchased irons on other people reviews and should have gone with what I loved would have been a lot cheaper in the long run.

If you are considering Speed Blades to lower the price, why not prior models from other manufacturers. Off the top of my head...Ping I-25's, the prior model Callaway Apex, etc

Good point. I'll see whats down there today. As well, I've never been fitted for irons before, so that's going to be new as well. I know I'll need at least a +1 increase in shaft length (I'm 6'5"). I'm excited to go down and test a bunch today -

Hey fellas

So, a busy day at Golftown, trying out some iron options.

Today, I tested the following:

M2
RSi 2
Speedblades
AP2
PSi
G30

I guess my main focus was to test out the RSi 2 for sure. The AP2 are not anywhere in my budget range, but just wanted to take a few swings of those. Great clubs and I understand why so many people love them.

So for the rest:

Speedblades - nice feeling club. Thought the stock shafts were a tad light but performed fairly well. I told the rep at the store, I would consider those if I got a steal sale offer from them, so I could add some upgrade shafts without getting too pricey

M2 - the ones I hit had the stiff C-taper shafts in them. Definitely a nice heavy shaft, and the ball was very easy to hit. But my overall feeling is that they are a SGI and as I continue to play, I want to start to improve and move towards a more players iron. If I am on the course and I hit a bad shot, I should expect a bad shot. I feel the M2 can mask some bad shots but will that make me a better player? I used to play Burner 2.0 and I kinda feel that the M2 are the same or even a step back in that sense. The majority reason I considered those was due to the fact of the promotion, but I don't want to be swept up in the hype

RSi 2 - Great looking iron and it felt really nice. Wasn't getting the same distance compared to the M2 but it wasn't that much off,......maybe 5 yards?? The irons did have the stock KBS Tour 105's. They have a great feel but maybe a tad light for my swing. Overall, a fantastic iron, and hit the 7 iron really sweet. Plus, fantastic price point

PSi - the rep wanted me to try the PSi and they seemed really nice as well. A tad smaller than the RSi 2, but still a great feeling club, I'll be honest, couldn't tell much of a difference between the both to make the jump to the PSi

G30 - I just couldn't get my head around how they looked at address. I was kinda used to the M2 bulk , with coming from the 2.0's, but the G30's looked like shovels to me. I got to have confidence when I'm addressing the ball, and I didn't have it with those irons

So, as of right now, the reps are going to contact TM Canada to see if there's an options to upgrade the shafts in the RSi 2, or if they can locate a set with some heavier shafts. I did like the feel with the KBS Tour, but I'm a tad worried that ball flight may ballon with the lighter shaft.

The other side option would be if they gave me some insane closeout deal on the Speedblades.......

I know this is a little off topic, but...does THP have some kind of 'deal' with Callaway pre-owned? I noticed a lot of guys have mentioned CPO.

I know this is a little off topic, but...does THP have some kind of 'deal' with Callaway pre-owned? I noticed a lot of guys have mentioned CPO.

No. They just offer great prices, better equipment and it's at a price that can't be beat. Not to mention the best customer service in the business

I was going to suggest Callaway preowned. Especially since price is a concern. You could try out some clubs at the store then have CPO change out the shafts for you and order then online. Just a thought.

No. They just offer great prices, better equipment and it's at a price that can't be beat. Not to mention the best customer service in the business
Thanks PhillyV...I will keep that in mind in the future!!!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest Callaway preowned. Especially since price is a concern. You could try out some clubs at the store then have CPO change out the shafts for you and order then online. Just a thought.
Store???...where?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the RSI2s are the best you've hit; heavier shaft, smaller head fits what you're looking for.

Test them all out if you are going to drop the coin. Are the speedblades used? If so, see if golf town will let you take them for a spin on the course! My only other advice would be to try some other brands if you are up for it. There is a lot of good equipment out there, and it would be a load of fun devoting the first part of the golf season for your own personal "club clash"

Hey fellas

So, a busy day at Golftown, trying out some iron options.

Today, I tested the following:

M2
RSi 2
Speedblades
AP2
PSi
G30

I guess my main focus was to test out the RSi 2 for sure. The AP2 are not anywhere in my budget range, but just wanted to take a few swings of those. Great clubs and I understand why so many people love them.

A few additional thoughts.

You tried an AP2 and apparently liked everything except the price. Is there a reason you didn't try the AP1, since it is more forgiving? If you really liked them another possibility to consider is getting AP1 or AP2 712 or 710s online in mint condition then get them fitted. I'm seeing sets in the $500 - $700 range listed.

Did your demo include hitting with a launch meter and frequency meter? Any measurement of the lie angle?

You have any big demo days up your way? Often you can get custom shafts and a full fitting without any up-charge at those events.

squidthunder, before you commit to a set of irons, give the new Cobra King F6 irons a test drive.

How did we forget Wilson's C200s?

My only suggestion is to find a set you can use for at least a few years. And as mentioned, reviews are a good source of additional info. It would be nice to be able to hit a long iron also. A 7 is an easy club to hit, but how do the 4 or 5 feel?

John

don't know how many different stores are within reasonable reach of your residence nor how long you have been going through this process. But fwiw when I bought my new set 2yrs ago (this will be my 3rd season with them) I also was on a budget. I wont suggest specific clubs because we are all so very different but if it helps here is what I did.

I spent probably 6 months occasionally toying with different sets in local stores. Like you I already had a set and was still golfing anyway so there was just no rush and being on a budget I wanted to be sure my new set was something I was going to be happy with for a long time to come. So I took all the time I needed. I went for a fitting via a private club maker and new that whatever I ended up buying I would then order in the correct lie/length/flex. With that info I then (in my limited spare time) occasionally went to hit irons at 3 different places through the next few months. Trying all different brands and models and even going back and at times re-trying the same ones a few different times. You'll be surprised how feelings change after hitting a given club on different occasions. Anyway...Through time of basically trial and error in the sims I eventually narrowed it down to 2 sets.

It wasn't a fast process at all but it didn't matter as I was still playing golf with my old set (no urgency) and I wanted to be sure because I knew I had a budget and also knew my new investment had to be the best choice possible as it would stay with me for probably years. Once I narrowed it to 2sets . At the time it was betwen the Cally razrx and the cobra amp irons. I then kept looking on line for sales and coupons, etc...I then after some more time also went to hit both sets again a couple more times. Both sets after several trials hitting just those 2 side by side the cobras really grew on me just a little better. Then one day soon after.... I happen to be in the store and just by luck there was a sale on the Cobra's. Not only were they cheaper but also on sale 200 off and something else (Icant remember what it was) was also an added bonus to the deal. So in the end my patience paid off and got my new set custom ordered to my length , lie , shaft, and grips and at a great price.

Going on my 3rd season and still love the clubs. So my advise? if possible and being your in no rush and on a budget, take all the time you need even if you continue to play golf in the meantime, visit as many different stores as you can, hit as many brands and models as you can within the type of irons you want and even repeat, narrow things down to a favorite or two that is what you feel is the best decision to be with you for the foreseeable future. Then be even more patient and keep looking for sales, store, brand discounts, coupons etc...allow a little extra money to accumulate in the whole process and even hit your choices again. You will then pull the trigger on something with confidence you gave it all a really good effort and made the right investment.

I know this isn't club specific suggestion but more just a process suggestion but hope it helps.

Back