Would you change the 14 club rule (Rule 4-4)?

I say open it up!
You would absolutely see guys at the course with 20+ clubs all of the time. I would guess the pros are the only ones who could really make good use of more clubs though. More clubs for 95% of the golfers out there would only lead to heavier bags! Me included. I realistically think I could get by pretty well with 11 or 12 if I had to with almost no impact Tim my game.

I wouldn't change it. I think I have like 17 in there right now, some used as alignment aids and some changed do to conditions. I take them out if I am doing an event or tournament.

15 clubs should be good. I can't be the only one who can't decide between the 4 iron, 4 hybrid, 4 wood, 3 wood, 3 hybrid.
I do only have 14 clubs in the bag at all times because that's the rules but I'm always switching the higher clubs depending on the course.

I suppose 14 is fine for most but could it really be just that we are so use to that number? Most everyone has a gap or two they probably like to fill. And some who carry extra lob wedges may even have more than 2 gaps. I suppose just about anyone would benefit from another club or two. But I think "not" having a club for every scenario is part of what makes golf more interesting to play. Not only does one have to make decisions when in a given scenario he/she may have hit into, but also we may tend to play a hole from the tee based on what clubs we have with us. Imo not having everything we may want works to making our golf more interesting.

I'm fine with 14 but right now I'm bagging 15 with a 5H and 5I as I try to figure out which I'd rather have as "normal" for my bag (I'll switch them out sometimes depending on wind or course). Since I don't keep a HC, not an issue.

14 club rule is fine. Somedays I only carry 12.

Eliminate it for recreational golf, and allow 15 for competitive/pros ... the game of golf needs to change, IMHO, to what is available today ... and embrace the weekend hacker.

I could carry 20 clubs and it would not give me an advantage ... sometimes I want to try a club.

No and no. The whole point of the 14 club limit is so that players be required to develop some adjustments to their swing for certain shots instead of just picking another club.

At the time that the limit was put into the rules, some players were carrying more than 30 clubs, most of them specialty clubs that were only used in certain situations. That was deemed to take away from the skill that was required to play the game, so to combat that they set an arbitrary limit of 14. It's been that way since the mid 1930's, and I wouldn't expect to see any changes.

Personally I don't see a need for more clubs. I can see a want but not a need so no id keep it how it is. If it's a casual round no one cares if you have an extra club or two.

I could easily get by with just my mini driver, irons, one wedge, and a putter. Heck...that's basically what I play with now. I carry a couple of others but essentially never use them.

14 is fine as it is.

Doesn't need changing in my opinion

14 is fine

Nah I'd leave it alone, 14 clubs seem to be perfect.

14 is more than enough...in fact it is probably too many in some cases. Having 4 wedges in the bag tends to muddy the waters and give folks so many options that they never become proficient with any.

I've had more than 14 in the bag before, but that's only because I'm trying out new clubs and seeing what gaps and shots I have. I'll pare it down to 14 within a few weeks once I'm comfortable knowing what each club can do.

No and no. The whole point of the 14 club limit is so that players be required to develop some adjustments to their swing for certain shots instead of just picking another club.

At the time that the limit was put into the rules, some players were carrying more than 30 clubs, most of them specialty clubs that were only used in certain situations. That was deemed to take away from the skill that was required to play the game, so to combat that they set an arbitrary limit of 14. It's been that way since the mid 1930's, and I wouldn't expect to see any changes.

I agree with you that 14 is fine but what I just highlighted would be the manufacturers dream. Surprised they haven't lobbied for it.

I agree with you that 14 is fine but what I just highlighted would be the manufacturers dream. Surprised they haven't lobbied for it.

I'd love to see the guy who can walk and carry 30 clubs and still have enough left in the tank to swing a club by the back 9 - even pushing that many on a trolley would be a chore. Heck, just finding a bag big enough to cram that many into it would be a challenge.

It would be very interesting if there was no limit!

14 is fine with me. I don't think it would really matter much, except for the Tour Caddies having more weight.

I like the 14 club rule. I have about 16 clubs that I actively play with, and I have to pull two based on the course/conditions. I like the added strategic element of not having unlimited choices. But that being said, I don't care if my playing partner has 25 clubs, so long as they don't take 10 minutes trying to decide on each shot.

No, I wouldn't change it.

I never really thought about it. If it changed I would adapt I assume. I have no feelings one way or the other on it.

If the number went above 14 I'd carry more, definitely. However, I am not in favor of more than 14; I think it's the perfect number of clubs and it makes you (me for sure) have to think about what to put in the bag for a given course.

Since you asked, certain things on a course bother me:
Players who carry more than 14...
Those that borrow clubs during a round...
Players who don't correctly mark a ball on the green

I would go down to 10-12.
It would bring shotmaking back in the game and would make golf more affordable for beginners and occasional golfers that think they need the big stuff to enjoy the game.
golf clubs addicts would buy new clubs anyway ! Even if we don't really score better with the new ones:(

14 is fine with me although I do like to try different clubs against each other to see which one I like the best. So I might have 15 in bag if it's not a tournament or playing for money just to see which club I like the best. Just pitted an atv against a cleveland rotex 2.0 cb wedge in 54 *. Cleveland won out but it was close.

Back