A little GC2 experiment with ball speed, spin and launch

Rusty Dave

#staffproto
Reaction score
Handicap
The threads yesterday on launch monitors and speed got me thinking about my driver setup.
I seem to be getting decent 7 iron ball speed numbers. Yesterday I was averaging 108.7 mph which was translating to 150 yd carry. Going by some of the charts that should be putting me around 95 mph or so driver swing speed. I don't have HMT so I don't know my swing speed.
The problem was I felt like I was losing many yards on my driver and 3 wood compared to the other distances on my other clubs. My driver was only averaging 132.6 mph ball speed which was giving me about 210 yds carry and 225 total. I was fit into a Cobra F7 with a MR Tensei Blue 60. I generally should be getting better distance with my driver and 3 wood.
So I sparked up the sim and GC2 and started messing around with the driver. It was set at 10.5 and the 5 gram weight was in the back slot. I need the loft so I decided to go to 11.5 but after JB posted a video yesterday on the weight placement and CofG, I decided to move the 5g weight to the front. My hope was to get good launch numbers, increase my ball speed and lower my spin.

I started with my regular setup and got pretty much the same numbers:
Ballspeed 132-133 backspin 2990 launch 14 carry 208 and total distance 225.

I then moved the weight to the back and went from 10.5 to 11.5
Ballspeed 137.1 backspin 3121 launch 13 carry 217 and total distance 235.

So basically 10 extra yards just from a quick adjustment on my driver.

I also did the same weight transfer on my 3 wood and was seeing my old driver numbers with that club.

I was blown away. So here's where I think launch monitors really help out. Yes the sim aspect of my setup is fun but being a golf nerd and thanks to the learning of the more technical aspects of the game I'm getting on THP, it's helping me to develop the numbers aspect of the game.

I'm really looking forward to testing the UST Gold shaft as hopefully it will allow me to get a little more launch and bring my spin numbers down slightly. Pair this with the Superspeed training I'm doing and I might actually get to the 150 max ball speed with the driver which would get me to around 240 carry and 260-270 total. Something I thought was impossible.

Good stuff RC! It’s all about what works for the individual and their needs! Sounds like you unlocked that three wood.

The threads yesterday on launch monitors and speed got me thinking about my driver setup.
I seem to be getting decent 7 iron ball speed numbers. Yesterday I was averaging 108.7 mph which was translating to 150 yd carry. Going by some of the charts that should be putting me around 95 mph or so driver swing speed. I don't have HMT so I don't know my swing speed.
The problem was I felt like I was losing many yards on my driver and 3 wood compared to the other distances on my other clubs. My driver was only averaging 132.6 mph ball speed which was giving me about 210 yds carry and 225 total. I was fit into a Cobra F7 with a MR Tensei Blue 60. I generally should be getting better distance with my driver and 3 wood.
So I sparked up the sim and GC2 and started messing around with the driver. It was set at 10.5 and the 5 gram weight was in the back slot. I need the loft so I decided to go to 11.5 but after JB posted a video yesterday on the weight placement and CofG, I decided to move the 5g weight to the front. My hope was to get good launch numbers, increase my ball speed and lower my spin.

I started with my regular setup and got pretty much the same numbers:
Ballspeed 132-133 backspin 2990 launch 14 carry 208 and total distance 225.

I then moved the weight to the back and went from 10.5 to 11.5
Ballspeed 137.1 backspin 3121 launch 13 carry 217 and total distance 235.

So basically 10 extra yards just from a quick adjustment on my driver.

I also did the same weight transfer on my 3 wood and was seeing my old driver numbers with that club.

I was blown away. So here's where I think launch monitors really help out. Yes the sim aspect of my setup is fun but being a golf nerd and thanks to the learning of the more technical aspects of the game I'm getting on THP, it's helping me to develop the numbers aspect of the game.

I'm really looking forward to testing the UST Gold shaft as hopefully it will allow me to get a little more launch and bring my spin numbers down slightly. Pair this with the Superspeed training I'm doing and I might actually get to the 150 max ball speed with the driver which would get me to around 240 carry and 260-270 total. Something I thought was impossible.

Rusty,

The 11.5* launch was less than the 10.5* which is counter intuitive. Do you think the extra ball speed came from more centered contact instead of the adjustments?

DT

Pretty eye opening change Rusty! Thanks for sharing that!

Really good stuff Rusty. To DT's question, sharing the smash factor, AOA, and sidespin before and after might shed some light.

Great post RC.
I have been working on my monitor as well, I have learned club speed does not equate to ball speed (I optimized my buddy ddec I would not chase numbers) so just working on club face and path and when I get it squared instead of OTT it amazing how much better my carry is. Today I switched my cortex from the Atmos blue s to the red R and I was shocked. Was getting carry of 245 to 250 compared to 235 to 235 before.
Lesson to myself check your ego and swing what works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty,

The 11.5* launch was less than the 10.5* which is counter intuitive. Do you think the extra ball speed came from more centered contact instead of the adjustments?

DT

Perhaps. I was thinking the lower launch cane from moving the weight forward. I’ll be experimenting more in the next few weeks.

Really good stuff Rusty. To DT's question, sharing the smash factor, AOA, and sidespin before and after might shed some light.

No HMT with the gc2 but yes those numbers would be nice in telling the whole story. Perhaps I should invest in an HMT.

Perhaps. I was thinking the lower launch cane from moving the weight forward. I’ll be experimenting more in the next few weeks.

No HMT with the gc2 but yes those numbers would be nice in telling the whole story. Perhaps I should invest in an HMT.

I would say you should get Hmt. I know on my Ernest I enjoy having the club info more than distance numbers

I would say you should get Hmt. I know on my Ernest I enjoy having the club info more than distance numbers

Another $7k. Not sure I want to spend that yet.

Good stuff Rusty. It’s tough to put in tons of work but not having a way to validate if the changes are working.

Looks like you not only have a good setup, but are taking advantage of it!

Back