Recommend me a golf ball

slimjim32

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been playing the Callaway Warbird 2.0 lately and like it overall. My biggest gripe of it though is that a ball really only lasts me one round. From either the cover being cut up, or the blue inside of the ball starting to show through the cover, I don't feel like the ball lasts long to play more than once (maybe twice). I know that the Warbird has an ionomer cover, which from my understanding is supposed to be stronger than urethane, but I feel like the ProV1's and the TP5's that I have played lasted multiple rounds before they were cut up to where I feel they should be replaced.

So I'm looking for a golf ball. I know it's apples and oranges, but what golf ball is going to be similar to the Warbird, but with a stronger cover to last me longer than a round or two?

I have not played the warbird ball but like you said it’s an ionomer cover and that’s apretty durable cover.

You could try the duo soft, Qstar or Callaway super soft, those should be in the ballpark of what you described you are looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also include the New Bridgestone E6.

Any Snell would make you happy on the course. They perform, they last and they are cheaper. Worth the try for the money.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

In terms of durability, I've always heard great things from Srixon. Would look at the QStar or the Soft Feel. Good luck on your search!

Have not played a Snell, but the Q-Star, SuperSoft Staff Duo, and e6 are all solid choices. Among those, it comes down to your preference.

I have been playing the Callaway Warbird 2.0 lately and like it overall. My biggest gripe of it though is that a ball really only lasts me one round. From either the cover being cut up, or the blue inside of the ball starting to show through the cover, I don't feel like the ball lasts long to play more than once (maybe twice). I know that the Warbird has an ionomer cover, which from my understanding is supposed to be stronger than urethane, but I feel like the ProV1's and the TP5's that I have played lasted multiple rounds before they were cut up to where I feel they should be replaced.

So I'm looking for a golf ball. I know it's apples and oranges, but what golf ball is going to be similar to the Warbird, but with a stronger cover to last me longer than a round or two?
I would try the Callaway Supersoft! Great ball. Long and relatively inexpensive. If you're willing to pay a little more, I would give the Callaway ERC Soft a try. It's has a hybrid cover and a great 3 piece ball and long off the club, but not sacrificing greenside action.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Warbird is a very hard golf ball. Do you want the ball to feel hard or do you want it to feel softer? Were the ProV1 / TP5 that you played the X version or non-X? The Xs are also hard.

Surlyn cover -- E6 Speed is a higher end ball, but similar to the Warbird.
Urethane -- If you like ProV1 or TP5 go for prior generation. Neither should be expected to last as long as a surlyn/ionomer ball. Srixon XV star (hard) or Z star (softer) are options that may be able to save some money.

DT

Q stars and Z stars hold up pretty good. I just switched from srixon to TM TP5x and been very pleased with those.

I'm not too familiar with the Warbird. I'd say the Bridgestone e-series balls check about every box you can conceive, including good prices for new.

My favorite ball is the Srixon Z-Star XV, but I can play the Bridgestone e6 all day long too.

Durable, playable and economical - Callaway SuperSoft, SuperHot and Wilson Staff Duo Soft

Since you have been playing Callaway, you should try the Supersoft. It is also an ionomer cover 2 piece ball, fairly inexpensive, and a distance ball.

Take a look at the Pinnacle Rush. I think it is in the same basic price point / profile as the Warbird. I liked it during ball testing last year.

Within the Callaway line, how about the Supersoft?

A firmesh and durable 2 piece ball? How about TopFlight D2 line. Get the straight or I prefer D2 feel. 2 for 25 most of the time and some 3 for 30's if you wait for a better sale.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll give some of them a try and see how I like them.

A firmesh and durable 2 piece ball? How about TopFlight D2 line. Get the straight or I prefer D2 feel. 2 for 25 most of the time and some 3 for 30's if you wait for a better sale.

D2 Feel is a nice ball and cheap to boot! I like it, but prefer the Gamer personally. It's too bad the Gamer line is gone. I still have a bunch of them left.

DT

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll give some of them a try and see how I like them.

As an 11 cap I'm kind of surprised you like the Warbird. They are very hard and don't spin much. The ProV or TP5 must have been night and day difference. My game's not tight enough to need tour level golf balls. Maybe I'll get there someday :) Until then there are surlyn covered golf balls that feel good enough.

DT

TP5X great ball and right now if you look in the right places the price is right. I really like that ball feels good off the putter chks well with chipping and doesn't have an over aggressive spin like the ProV1x.....TPX5 you wont be disappointed!

It all depends on your priorities in a golf ball. I'd recommend trying the Bridgestone e6 Soft to start. Soft feel, great distance, and fairly solid spin. Plus they are very affordable - can find online for $21-24 a dozen. The best "value" ball I've played is the Srixon Soft Feel. Incredible distance with wonderful feel. Only issue is the spin since it's a 2-piece ionomer ball (it's decent, but not great.. you'll get some roll-out on chips and pitches). But for $19.99/dozen, it's hard to beat. If you want to move up into the 3-piece urethane balls without breaking the bank, I'd look at Wilson Staff Duo Professional ($34.99/dozen) and Srixon Q Star Tour ($29.99/dozen). I play these two balls and love them both.

Happy hunting!

For years, I've watched my higher handicap buddies use a hard ball to try and maximize distance, all the while bleeding strokes as their ball would bound across the green into trouble. The golf balls of today offer so much more in terms of durability and performance - it's far different than in the 70's and 80's when you could cut the cover of a balata ball with a thin shot.

My first thought of a Warbird would be a hard cover "distance" ball (I may be wrong about that, but I know I've found many of them and that seems to be accurate).

I would definitely look for a ball that offers durability, but doesn't sacrifice on spin and feel. There are plenty of good affordable suggestions that others have pointed to.

As an 11 cap I'm kind of surprised you like the Warbird. They are very hard and don't spin much. The ProV or TP5 must have been night and day difference. My game's not tight enough to need tour level golf balls. Maybe I'll get there someday :) Until then there are surlyn covered golf balls that feel good enough.

DT

No lie, I am honestly surprised I like the Warbird too. My game is getting progressively better as of late, and I have actually had little problem stopping the Warbird on the green (I can actually spin it back some).

It all depends on your priorities in a golf ball. I'd recommend trying the Bridgestone e6 Soft to start. Soft feel, great distance, and fairly solid spin. Plus they are very affordable - can find online for $21-24 a dozen. The best "value" ball I've played is the Srixon Soft Feel. Incredible distance with wonderful feel. Only issue is the spin since it's a 2-piece ionomer ball (it's decent, but not great.. you'll get some roll-out on chips and pitches). But for $19.99/dozen, it's hard to beat. If you want to move up into the 3-piece urethane balls without breaking the bank, I'd look at Wilson Staff Duo Professional ($34.99/dozen) and Srixon Q Star Tour ($29.99/dozen). I play these two balls and love them both.

Happy hunting!

This. I definitely notice the roll-out on chips and short pitches. But about 75+ I can stop the Warbird pretty close to where it lands. I guess I could have said in my original post that I am not avert of trying a 3-piece ball. I have always looked at and played the "tour" ball since my swing speed has always been pretty fast/high. I am just happy with my game overall right now, but unhappy with the durability of my game ball.

What are you doing to these balls???

Don´t think the Supersoft will fit your game. Like the name says it´s really soft, for me to spongy feeling and in comparison to a warbird it may be a rubber ball.
But all theory doesn´t help that much. Just try :) ... There are so many balls out there, that will take a while. If you preferred callaway, Superhot could be an option.

+1 For the Q-Star. I bought a couple dozen of these last season that I had forgotten about. I took a couple sleeves to the course yesterday and forgot how much I liked this ball. I was given the opportunity to test the 2017 model for THP not long after I joined the site. I'm so glad that I got the opportunity because, to be honest, I'm not sure I would have given them a second look when I was shopping for a new ball. If you're currently playing the Warbird, Q-Stars (IMHO) are right in your wheelhouse. Good luck with your search.

Back