Pga tour and lpga announce strategic alliance agreement

I always wondered, how come there's no Mixed event? Even if it is just a promotional type thing (like the night time shoot-out with Tiger and Sergio) that would be fun to watch, and generate a lot of new eyes on the LPGA players.

I loved it when the ladies played a major at the same course as the men the very next week. It seemed like the ladies event got a lot more attention than normal. I can see some thinking that's demeaning to them or something, but if it works it works.

"We have announced that we're going to make another announcement where we announce that we will DO something!"

I would love to see the LPGA get more coverage (and prize money), as I enjoy watching whenever possible. If they could really create some sort of strategic alliance (and not just fluffy press releases) I think some good things could come out of it for the growth of the game and getting kids involved in the sport.

I always wondered, how come there's no Mixed event? Even if it is just a promotional type thing (like the night time shoot-out with Tiger and Sergio) that would be fun to watch, and generate a lot of new eyes on the LPGA players.
They sort of did in the back to back US Opens a year or two back. There is nothing in it for the PGA to do it. The LPGA is decent to watch on its own but it might get ugly playing the same course even with different tees. It will either be boring easy and slow greens for the men, or fast and hard for the women.

I was thinking more alt shot or Ryder cup style team event.

That has no guy in the top 40 and no Ko or Lexi showing up written all over it.

They did back in the day and then it became the Valspar.

They did back in the day and then it became the Valspar.
I vaguely remeember that.

On huhh's point. Do you think it would work if they did it in one of the events that plays opposite a major, where you have a less than stellar PGA field. Say 80 PGA players and 40 or so LPGA. It might draw some attention to an event that is usually otherwise ignored.

They can't even get people to watch PGA events that are opposite of a WGC

They sort of did in the back to back US Opens a year or two back. There is nothing in it for the PGA to do it. The LPGA is decent to watch on its own but it might get ugly playing the same course even with different tees. It will either be boring easy and slow greens for the men, or fast and hard for the women.
Do you know for a fact that LPGA courses are set up differently? Does the LPGA plays onon sower greens?

Just look at the Fairways in Regulation leaders between the two tours. I bet your surprised how much more accurate the ladies are off the tee

Regardless of the details, I think this is a good thing. Anything different than a normal 150ish player field, 4 rounds of stroke play tournament, provides some variety in what becomes very repetitious.

I'd like to see them have a simultaneous tournament using different tee boxes (maybe both being limited field events, or simultaneous match play events).

Do you know for a fact that LPGA courses are set up differently? Does the LPGA plays onon sower greens?

Just look at the Fairways in Regulation leaders between the two tours. I bet your surprised how much more accurate the ladies are off the tee
The girls are crazy accurate and amazing how well they play. I actually watch a decent amount of LPGA events especially on the Asian swing where they are live and not fighting for tv time. Yes they are set up differently though, a good 1.5 feet slower, and the greens are normally much softer as well as the fairways a touch wider and rough lower. Lately the PGA hasn't had the rough up so that so they are probably the same.

It might seem like I am anti LPGA but I am not. What they do is amazing. Don't even have to look at the stats you were telling me to know the leader is probably up close to 90% fairways hit and Lexi crushes the ball I think averaging 290 this year. What they do is amazing but the courses are not even close to PGA courses and I don't think the women's tour would hold up as well side by side with the PGA. But I watch plenty of women's golf and not trying to put them down.

They can't even get people to watch PGA events that are opposite of a WGC
Exactly the reason they should consider trying something new then.

What if the Olympics adopted a mixed team event? Would anyone watch that?

Sure why not, but I don't think the IOC every would or ever has(could be wrong about that) had a mixed event. Just doesn't happen.

That's my point, as far as I know, no one has. That seems like a fun idea (even if just promotional). Enough sponsor money and you can get anyone to show up.

I would love to see the LPGA get more coverage (and prize money), as I enjoy watching whenever possible. If they could really create some sort of strategic alliance (and not just fluffy press releases) I think some good things could come out of it for the growth of the game and getting kids involved in the sport.

I agree. They are grossly underpaid as are the Champions Tour guys when compared to the regular tour.

Sure why not, but I don't think the IOC every would or ever has(could be wrong about that) had a mixed event. Just doesn't happen.

Figure Skating is a Mixed Event.

There may be others.

Figure Skating is a Mixed Event.

There may be others.
Forgot about that, no reason they couldn't then as a doubles event. Thanks

I loved it when the ladies played a major at the same course as the men the very next week. It seemed like the ladies event got a lot more attention than normal. I can see some thinking that's demeaning to them or something, but if it works it works.

I thought it was great when they both played the US Opens at Pinehurst. Seeing something like that again would be good.

I also like the ANA Inspiration (Dinah Shore) tournament because it's played at the same course every year a la the Masters. I think it helps having that familiarity with the course as a fan watching it on TV

The CVS Charity Classic is a mixed event, usually 20 golfers from the PGA, LPGA, and Champions tours in 2 teams. It's not a large purse, but is usually very well attended from what I understand. I'm hoping to get there for at least one day this year with my 10 yr old.

Should be interesting! They tried things like this in the past and it wasn't very successful but maybe it's time has come!

Pga tour and lpga announce strategic alliance agreement

I know for a fact that the greens for the back to back US Opens a Pinehurst were slowed down for the LPGA. I personally spent time with some time speaking with the Agronomist during the practice rounds of both weeks. It was pretty interesting really.

Back to to this topic. I think it would be a tough sell to have a regular event that fed into the end of year points chases. The LPGA has really made great strides towards bettering their product over the past couple years. Part of me thinks them blending to much with the PGA would not be good for them. The LPGA needs to have its own identity.

Last edited:
Back