Putting: Eyes over the ball or 1-2" back?

ChristopherKee

Reaction score
Recently I've been spending an hour or so a day putting and really dialing in my technique. From a couple different articles on the net I've read you should have your eyes 1-2" back off the ball instead of directly over. I'm still undecided so looking for some other thoughts on this.

Eyes over the heel. Always, for me.

Eyes over the ball for me

I like being over that back half or just inside of the ball.

Eyes over the heel. Always, for me.

Now you just added a new twist into the mix. I think I was going 1-2" off the heel and not actually the ball.

Working with my instructor two years ago it's just inside the ball

Always 100% over the ball and in reality, based strictly on alignment, everybody should.

Eyes over the ball, 100%.

Now you just added a new twist into the mix. I think I was going 1-2" off the heel and not actually the ball.

I'm an SPi guy, with it you want the eyes over the heel. I've fallen lax lately and actually ended up where you speak of, 1-2" inside the heel, and my putting collapsed. Mirror work has gotten it back where it should (IMO) be.

I personally just am not an advocate of over the ball, and its cool because there is no one correct way.

Eyes over the ball for me.

Eyes over the ball all the time

I'm right eye dominant so I set up with my right eye over the ball or just inside the ball. I didn't make this set up adjustment(ball farther back, stance more open) until I had putting lessons last summer. I sure wish I would have known enough to make this adjustment 30 years ago.

Just inside the ball ... 1" inside.
Drop the ball from your eye level ... bridge of your nose ... let it drop. Address the putter just inside the ball, then take your stance ... your eyes are now over the inside of the ball and not directly over it.
I find that if you have your eyes directly over the ball, it tends to crowd you. At least me anyway. Keeping your eyes inside allows for a more free flowing stroke, on a slight arc, inside ... square ... to inside.
JMO

I personally just am not an advocate of over the ball, and its cool because there is no one correct way.

I find eyes over the ball I was pulling under pressure. Eye's 1-2" back I was pushing under pressure. I got on my eye-line mirror and lined up just on the tip of the heel of my blade putter and it's rolling smooth. Just need to see how it holds under pressure.

I googled some SPi instructors and watched those videos as well, going to commit to this alignment/technique for this year and see how far it can take me.

Always 100% over the ball and in reality, based strictly on alignment, everybody should.

I always find the response to this question interesting. Most people say eyes over the ball rarely is there a reason. I think Odyssey with their eye fit system realize that eyes over the ball is a teaching misnomer. I am probably more than 1-2" off the ball. The reason for this choice is that it allows me to view the line of my putt correctly. I built my stance (at the recommendation of my putting instructor) to see the same line from the side that I do behind the ball.

In reality, why does it matter? If you have a consistent stroke and start the ball online why does it really matter where your eyes are in relation to the ball?

Over the ball for sure.

For me it is an adaptation of the SPI method in that I like my eyes over the back 1/3 of the ball. Not really the heel, but close.

JM

Whatever is comfortable and produces the best stroke for you.

I always find the response to this question interesting. Most people say eyes over the ball rarely is there a reason. I think Odyssey with their eye fit system realize that eyes over the ball is a teaching misnomer. I am probably more than 1-2" off the ball. The reason for this choice is that it allows me to view the line of my putt correctly. I built my stance (at the recommendation of my putting instructor) to see the same line from the side that I do behind the ball.

In reality, why does it matter? If you have a consistent stroke and start the ball online why does it really matter where your eyes are in relation to the ball?

The reason is actually quite simple.
Having the eyes directly over the ball is a way to insure the same alignment every time. Since putting is a game of inches, rather than yards its imperative. Every inch matters in alignment and the ball acting as a place holder keeps one variable out of the equation.

This is not my rule, although I follow it, this was told to me from Dave Stockton the first time I ever met him, then again this past year at a media clinic.

I am not here to tell someone what they are doing is wrong, or they should change, just share my thoughts that were taken from others far smarter than me, and why they said it.

The last part is similar to that of the 2135 alignment. Nothing matters except getting the ball in the hole. However the ability to effectively have the proper line (assuming it is read right) is and should be the number one goal. Changes to that, will make every single putt miss that line.

I think I vary but I would say most of the time I'm inside of the ball

The reason is actually quite simple.
Having the eyes directly over the ball is a way to insure the same alignment every time. Since putting is a game of inches, rather than yards its imperative. Every inch matters in alignment and the ball acting as a place holder keeps one variable out of the equation.

This is not my rule, although I follow it, this was told to me from Dave Stockton the first time I ever met him, then again this past year at a media clinic.

I am not here to tell someone what they are doing is wrong, or they should change, just share my thoughts that were taken from others far smarter than me, and why they said it.

The last part is similar to that of the 2135 alignment. Nothing matters except getting the ball in the hole. However the ability to effectively have the proper line (assuming it is read right) is and should be the number one goal. Changes to that, will make every single putt miss that line.

I mostly disagree with the 100% part of your original statement. Every teacher has theories on the proper way to putt and I wouldn't consider eyes over the ball as a "rule"; it is just a choice. Just like Dave Stockton promotes a left arm dominant stroke and not the shoulder driven stroke that you use. Pat O'Brien advocates inside the ball. Austie Rollison designed the Odyssey EyeFit system based on pros eye position related to the hosel; not the ball. Dave Pelz is also an eyes over the ball teacher.

I also am taking wisdom from people smarter than myself related to putting. As long as you understand the pros and cons of any choice you make you can have a successful putting stroke. Very few things are 100%.

Over the ball.

I'm an eyes over the ball guy. I use the Odyssey Works 2-Ball Fang which has the 1 line alignment that is designed for this and its been working well for me. I had no idea until after I had bought the putter that the eyefit system on the Odyssey putters indicate the matching putter where your eye alignment should be but it is fitting that the putter I bought fit exactly into the style I was going for.

I've understood the theory/importance of the eyes over or slightly inside the ball for decades. What I didn't understand until last year was how eye dominance needs to be factored in to the equation. When people say they putt with "eyes over the ball" I now ask which eye? Your eyes are about 2.5" apart and since putting is a game of inches or fractions of inches, it really does matter which eye is over the ball and it should be you dominant eye, IMO.

Back