Expanding The Golfing Tours Worldwide

MDGolfHacker

Reaction score
Handicap
16.8+
As I was reading and watching about Jordan Spieth's global travels, I thought he is a great global ambassador for the world of Golf. It also made me think that heads of the Golf tours have a tough road ahead growing their prospective tours into the world market. If you were the head of the PGA tour, what markets would you target and how would you go about doing it ?

Personally, I think Latin America would have a large growth opportunity as golf there I think isn't proportional to the population. I would start by investing in first tee programs locally, to get the younger generation exposed to golf . I would also offer scholarships to allow them to attend the universities with the hope the tour could have a great presence there.

The USA.
There are still so many untapped markets or markets that are done incorrectly.
Heck, I think the entire marketing of golf is terrible.

I would focus on the US.

US would my choice

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Can't argue, USA it is!

I'm going north of the 49th. There is a big market that barely gets noticed. Logistically it is easy to pull off. Scholarships are there for the youth at least. But tournament wise there's a big hole. A lot of golfers up here have to head south to actually see a PGA Tour event. In my region, PNW, we're like a leper colony. Yes, the US Open was at Chambers Bay for a 1st, with lots of complaints about it. And to take it outside of golf just take a look at the NHL, they have a big hole in the US in this area. If anyone thinks it is because of weather they are sadly mistaken. Currently there's too many courses in the south & east thus with the current economics a lot of closures.

There's a big population base with Seattle & Vancouver (I'm guessing 5-6 million) so there's the market I'm going to tap into to bring more youth and others into the game of golf.

The USA.
There are still so many untapped markets or markets that are done incorrectly.
Heck, I think the entire marketing of golf is terrible.

That is interesting you are saying that. I read somewhere that the golfing demographics are shrinking due to a multitude of factors, ie. cost, time and perception. Starting in the US and growing the market here would make sense as we surely have an untapped potential that can be exposed to golf beyond catching it on TV. Expanding out to the inner city with exposure programs might be a great start as well.

I would focus on the US.

What areas would you focus on ? Rural, inner cities, suburbs ? How would you go about getting more participation from say the low and middle class who don't have the funds to spend on a golf round, let alone the time to golf ? Just wondering as golf is a luxury for most.

In many areas of the world golf is prohibitively expensive for all outside the 1% and the 1% aims to keep it that way.

The US market is such a gold mine for golf, yet it's hardly touched. Sadly, kids don't look at golf the way they do with football, basketball and even soccer.

The WGC were supposed to be worldwide events that travelled. Now look at them. Here is where the money is!

That is interesting you are saying that. I read somewhere that the golfing demographics are shrinking due to a multitude of factors, ie. cost, time and perception. Starting in the US and growing the market here would make sense as we surely have an untapped potential that can be exposed to golf beyond catching it on TV. Expanding out to the inner city with exposure programs might be a great start as well.
It's not the demographics shrinking. It's the number of rounds played. There are plenty of untapped players. It's just finding ways to reach those people and have them overcome some of the obstacles you mentioned.

Back