Today was a solid day at Baker. 6 or so inches of pow in the morning, and in the afternoon it started snowing again and got wind buffed so it stayed good all day. Had a lot of fun!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Not sure if we will or not

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yeah. When we were there, we swore we were going to drop in. That changed once we finally stood atop the cornice.

Yeah. When we were there, we swore we were going to drop in. That changed once we finally stood atop the cornice.
Oh yeah, not what I was thinking of, just looked it up, NOPE

Oh yeah, not what I was thinking of, just looked it up, NOPE
If you're talking drinking, you've got to go to the silver dollar saloon.

The longer you stand at the top of Corbet's the tougher it gets. I was foolish enough both times I visited Jackson Hole to do a dozen runs down that couloir but I was in my mid 20's and not very smart. I'm old and semi-wise now!

I had this amazing view out of a helicopter for 10 runs yesterday in the Ruby Mountains in northern Nevada. It was a bluebird day!

attachment.php

The longer you stand at the top of Corbet's the tougher it gets. I was foolish enough both times I visited Jackson Hole to do a dozen runs down that couloir but I was in my mid 20's and not very smart. I'm old and semi-wise now!

I had this amazing view out of a helicopter for 10 runs yesterday in the Ruby Mountains in northern Nevada. It was a bluebird day!

attachment.php
Gorgeous! I'm guessing you had a fabulous time?

Also, vids!?! :act-up:

Gorgeous! I'm guessing you had a fabulous time?

Also, vids!?! :act-up:

We had a great time! When I went to pull my Go Pro out about 2 hours into the day I had somehow left the power button on and the damn battery was dead:banghead: The only pics I have are a few that were texted to me from my buddies phone. He hasn't sent me any videos yet but I hope he has some decent footage.

If you're talking drinking, you've got to go to the silver dollar saloon.
There is a waffle place called Corbetts, we might ride up one day for breakfast. It's at the top of the tram.

Had an amazing day of skiing, we were hit with a ton of snow the past few days. I went out first thing in the morning and hit some DEEP powder. First time ever skiing powder like that and I had a blast. I then went down to the bottom and skied with the family a bit. Late in the afternoon I went back up and skied some skied down but still awesomely soft snow. I've loved skiing this place.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Some new snow recently and great coverage has let me in to a few spots that aren't always available to ride. This stuff is soooo exhiliarating :banana:

14" this morning at Snowmass. Was able to get there for first tracks, and it was SO worth it. Might be the last great pow day of the season. So glad I had my camera out to capture some of the best turns! :blob:

Last edited:
Anybody have some favorite hard snow rippers? Since I'm moving to PA, I'll need some boards that can really bite on the firm stuff for most of my days up. Been looking at Head Supershape Rally/Titan, Fischer Progressor 900/F19, AMP Rictor 82XTi, etc. but I haven't skied these types of skis for a while, so unsure what's good.

Western NY here. During most winters we have no less than six hills within two hours. Nothing huge though. But all functional! I'm a snowboarder and the wife skis. This past winter was definitely a waste though. Bring on golf season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody have some favorite hard snow rippers? Since I'm moving to PA, I'll need some boards that can really bite on the firm stuff for most of my days up. Been looking at Head Supershape Rally/Titan, Fischer Progressor 900/F19, AMP Rictor 82XTi, etc. but I haven't skied these types of skis for a while, so unsure what's good.

It feels weird to be typing about skis when it's 99 degrees outside but here it goes. The Supershape Rally is a great hard snow ski and Head makes arguably the most complete line of front side carving skis for expert skiers. I haven't skied the Fischer or Amp but my son skis on a pair of Fischer Magnum 8.4's and they rip. I've got the Front Burner for my hard snow days and it's the best carving ski I've ever had and the Ski Logik's are prettier than anything else out there. I've been a hardcore skier since I was 8 years old and since I discovered Ski Logik 4 or 5 years ago thats all I ski on now. Of course like golf I'm an equipment junkie and I now own 6 different pairs of their skis. Good luck in your search. You can get dozens of different top sheet designs but here's what mine look like.

SL_FrontBurnerTops1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts man. I do recall you mentioning Ski Logik before, I'll have to look into the Front Burner. Does it do OK in bumps? Ideally I want something that will be a solid hard snow machine without being totally useless in the occasional bump run.

Awesome to see Sgt. Baker up close like this! Lived on Camano Island in the northern Puget Sound for four years and on clear days it was always visible from the island's roads. Tried to finally get there, but the weather turned unpleasant the closer we got to it. Did, however, spend a good amount of time at Nooksack Falls along the way -- highly recommended short hike from the road up to Baker.

What a gorgeous day it was at Mt Baker today! Pow in the morning followed up with clear skies and beautiful views.

4f3a42af3eb0d6949121f986615c7ab4.jpg

The wife and I are headed to Breckenridge in February with friends for a few days of skiing, looking forward to it.

So I think I may have finally made my decision regarding hard snow skis for PA skiing. Found a great deal on these, Dynastar CR74 Fluid X in 172. Apparently the dimensions are identical to the Speed Course (their racing skis), but the flex is simply softened up a bit and there's a touch more rocker to make them a little more maneuverable when you're not doing 50mph at high edge angles.

24213761_ONE_COLOUR_4.JPG

So I think I may have finally made my decision regarding hard snow skis for PA skiing. Found a great deal on these, Dynastar CR74 Fluid X in 172. Apparently the dimensions are identical to the Speed Course (their racing skis), but the flex is simply softened up a bit and there's a touch more rocker to make them a little more maneuverable when you're not doing 50mph at high edge angles.

24213761_ONE_COLOUR_4.JPG
I forgot you were moving, where in PA? Im right near the border and it would be fun to hit the slopes.

The wife and I are headed to Breckenridge in February with friends for a few days of skiing, looking forward to it.
Breck? Have fun with those lift lines.

Come to Aspen and I can get you guys a couple of half price lift tickets

Breck? Have fun with those lift lines.

Come to Aspen and I can get you guys a couple of half price lift tickets
Wish I could, our friends planned the trip, we are just tagging along.

I forgot you were moving, where in PA? Im right near the border and it would be fun to hit the slopes.

I'm in Pottsville, which is a little less than an hour due west of Allentown. Where you at? I'd love to join you sometime. As it so happens I think the season pass I'm gonna get (likely at Jack Frost) would give me full access at Hunter in NY (as well as 4 other areas in VT/NH).

Ah, didn't realize there was a skiing thread here!

Yeah, I moved to Colorado from Kentucky over six years to enjoy the mountains and ski. Well after one concussion, a fractured knee, and bruised ribs (all in different seasons) I am now a full time golfer and am semi-retired from skiing. At age 48, you don't recover quite as quickly from those accidents!

Did not ski at all last year. Not sure about this year yet.

Ah, didn't realize there was a skiing thread here!

Yeah, I moved to Colorado from Kentucky over six years to enjoy the mountains and ski. Well after one concussion, a fractured knee, and bruised ribs (all in different seasons) I am now a full time golfer and am semi-retired from skiing. At age 48, you don't recover quite as quickly from those accidents!

Did not ski at all last year. Not sure about this year yet.

Ouch dude! You've gotta make sure you land those backflips and avoid those trees! :alien:

Plus side - golf is great out there. Problem is, no chance of rounds in the winter! That's part of the reason I'm a skier.

Back