A thread for SoCal golfers.

It is very nice! We try to keep it a secret so there's more tee times for us.

I honestly think its as good or even better than Torrey pines. Torrey has the prestige of US opens and tour events, but sandpiper has more ocean holes and a little more elevation change the TP south. Its also a lot cheaper and easier to get a tee time.

Im sold!! Very excited to play a round there now. Going to make a tee time for sometime next week, unfortunately looks like we have some rain in the forecast. Also noticed tri-county discount brings it to nearly half price

I've played La Purisima once last summer. Nice course and want to play that one again. You can find deals on Golf Now.

My girlfriend has played Sandpiper but I've yet to have that pleasure. If someone has a game going one weekend I'd definitely make the trip.

After mentioning Sandpiper yesterday, I looked it up on Greenskeeper.org and the reviews from late last year said it was showing signs of the drought. It wouldn't stop me from playing but just be aware that it might not be very lush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excited to be coming out this way for the greatest shaft event ever assembled in a few months.

Excited to be coming out this way for the greatest shaft event ever assembled in a few months.

I wanna go! lol

Lots of great west coast THP Events this year. As the signups come out, make sure you jump in.

Will do for sure. I got slammed at work and missed the gauntlet signups. Realized it after the rosters were released.

In the Ventura/Santa Barbara area, my recommendations would be (not necessarily in order):

1/ Either of the River Ridge courses in Ventura (The Lakes course is better but both are very good)

2/ Olivas Links in Ventura

3/ Rustic Canyon

4/ Tierra Rejada

5/ Glenannie (Santa Barbara)

6/ La Purisima

7/ Elkins (Fillmore)

8/ *Ojai Valley Inn (play around noon via Golfnow to make it a great deal)

9/ Sandpiper (I would never play this course if I didn't get the local rate though; for $95 it's ok. For $190 it is way, way, way overpriced, except for for 4-5 holes on the water which are amazing)

A really horrible course I'd avoid (in Ojai) is Soule. You'll see people saying its a good course, and I'd agree that it was but they have totally let it go to crap (not drought related either). Nice layout with potential, but whomever is running it is running it into the ground. I walked off the course each of the last two times playing it.

That order above is random.

Ojai Valley Inn is my favorite. It's normally around $190, but via Golfnow around $65 (includes cart). It's a Pete Dye course.

I haven't played La Purisima, but from what I've heard, it's the best course around (it's also a more difficult course).

Glenannie, IMO, is a much better value than Sandpiper (if you want to golf in Santa Barbara).

Tierra Rejada is a fun course. Rustic is fun, but a Links style course.

The River Ridge and Olivas Links course are a good value, and easy to enjoy (Ventura).

In the Ventura/Santa Barbara area, my recommendations would be (not necessarily in order):

1/ Either of the River Ridge courses in Ventura (The Lakes course is better but both are very good)

2/ Olivas Links in Ventura

3/ Rustic Canyon

4/ Tierra Rejada

5/ Glenannie (Santa Barbara)

6/ La Purisima

7/ Elkins (Fillmore)

8/ *Ojai Valley Inn (play around noon via Golfnow to make it a great deal)

9/ Sandpiper (I would never play this course if I didn't get the local rate though; for $95 it's ok. For $190 it is way, way, way overpriced, except for for 4-5 holes on the water which are amazing)

A really horrible course I'd avoid (in Ojai) is Soule. You'll see people saying its a good course, and I'd agree that it was but they have totally let it go to crap (not drought related either). Nice layout with potential, but whomever is running it is running it into the ground. I walked off the course each of the last two times playing it.

That order above is random.

Ojai Valley Inn is my favorite. It's normally around $190, but via Golfnow around $65 (includes cart). It's a Pete Dye course.

I haven't played La Purisima, but from what I've heard, it's the best course around (it's also a more difficult course).

Glenannie, IMO, is a much better value than Sandpiper (if you want to golf in Santa Barbara).

Tierra Rejada is a fun course. Rustic is fun, but a Links style course.

The River Ridge and Olivas Links course are a good value, and easy to enjoy (Ventura).

Anyone play Alisal Ranch in Solvang? I get up that way several times a year and it looks like a nice course.

Anyone play Alisal Ranch in Solvang? I get up that way several times a year and it looks like a nice course.
No never played it, but Rancho San Marcos, when in shape, is supposed to be a great course.

Ive driven by it a bunch of times over the last couple of years, and it looked like crap because of the drought. I hear it's coming back (but I have no idea if it's back to being a legit course yet).

Ive heard Alisal is a good course too...but every time I mention it the response is always 'you have to play La Purisima if you're up that way.'

UglySwing-How's Fillmores Elkins Ranch? A local said that's a nice track that I would enjoy. I've been keeping an eye out for a Monday special.

No never played it, but Rancho San Marcos, when in shape, is supposed to be a great course.

Ive driven by it a bunch of times over the last couple of years, and it looked like crap because of the drought. I hear it's coming back (but I have no idea if it's back to being a legit course yet).

Ive heard Alisal is a good course too...but every time I mention it the response is always 'you have to play La Purisima if you're up that way.'

Alisal is good and about 5 minutes from my house. I drive the 25 minutes to La p it's worth it. It's cheaper more challenging and a lot more interesting. Alisal all the holes are basically the same. It's not bad and I play it 5-6x a year but I'd rather play la p.

Rancho San Marcos is great when the conditions are good. Right now it's almost back and looks great compared to the last few years. If we get more rain it should be good the next few months. Not sure if we've had enough rain for their wells to recover though. Might be back to dead grass and 400 yard drives soon.

UglySwing-How's Fillmores Elkins Ranch? A local said that's a nice track that I would enjoy. I've been keeping an eye out for a Monday special.

I played it about a month ago. It's ok, but I wouldn't drive very far for it. Passed too many better courses on the way there.

Hey Mike! Im a Thousand Oaks Resident myself! If you get a chance in SB, I would try to play Sandpiper!

Ricky/Mike, We should try to get a round together sometime. My time is more limited, but if given enough time I could swing it.

Hehehe JB, always jumping in and slanging the THP events, love it and don't ever stop doing that. :act-up: I want to try to make one this year if possible. its on my list of things I want to do.

Ricky/Mike, We should try to get a round together sometime. My time is more limited, but if given enough time I could swing it.
Id love to! Any round with THPers is incredible so Ive heard!

Anyone playing in the SCGA Amateur Net this year? I'm playing the qualifier at Rio Hondo in a few weeks.

Hehehe JB, always jumping in and slanging the THP events, love it and don't ever stop doing that. :act-up: I want to try to make one this year if possible. its on my list of things I want to do.

Its not "slanging" anything really.
When you put as much work into making the completely impossible, possible, you want the great people of this community to know about it, because things get missed.

Its not "slanging" anything really.
When you put as much work into making the completely impossible, possible, you want the great people of this community to know about it, because things get missed.
I love how much you advocate and let people know about the events.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sorry to read about Soule GC. It's intrigued me from the perspective of being updated 10 years ago by Gil Hanse, but now I guess I won't go out of my way some day in the future.

I enjoyed Soule Park when I played it last summer. Might have been a little gimmicky, but overall I thought it was fun

Hearing about Soule Park is a bit of a bummer. I thought some of the layout was kind of haphazard, but I enjoyed playing the few times I did.

Id love to! Any round with THPers is incredible so Ive heard!

You guys can count me in. In fact, if you dont mind playing after 11am on a weekend I can host both you guys for a free round at Wood Ranch. Let me know if that type of schedule works.

You guys can count me in. In fact, if you dont mind playing after 11am on a weekend I can host both you guys for a free round at Wood Ranch. Let me know if that type of schedule works.
I would 100% be up to that, as Wood Ranch is one of the 2 courses in Ventura County I haven't played. Thank you for the generosity!!

I would 100% be up to that, as Wood Ranch is one of the 2 courses in Ventura County I haven't played. Thank you for the generosity!!

No problem. Next weekend is when my out of town guest arrives. We'll try setting some dates starting the weekend after. Looking forward to it.

Back