Wilson Golf Shoes

annsguy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
I saw this picture in a trade magazine for the footwear industry. With the excitement Wilson is having with their clubs it seems like adding golf shoes might make sense. Even if they only sell ok it creates walking billboards for the brand. I know their tennis shoes are top quality and manly pro shop based.

71253ab75591c4fcb053801e985a1b15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the shoe business is a scary industry to try and enter. Under Armour seems to be having issues. Nike is way behind FootJoy and even Puma doesn't do exactly well. I can't imagine Wilson gaining any traction if they went that way

The golf shoe market is a very tough one to break into.
Being that they are not where they want to be in clubs, I would believe expanding into other areas like apparel (which they dont do) and footwear would be really tough and a bad move business wise.

Wilson being such a strong player in Tennis, it makes sense for them to make shoes, but in Golf, I think they would wait until they grow a bit.

I agree that the timing is not right but it might be down the road.I have spend my career in the athletic footwear industry so I know launching a brand is pretty hard.The company who owns Wilson is involved in a lot of categories so sourcing shouild not be a major issue. Callaway, New Balance and Oggio, Oakley and others all seem to have a struggled in the shoe area. However apparel is also very difficult and costly to get into. Again Wilson does tennis apparel so at least they understand how to get stuff produced. If or when they get into shoes they don't have to be #1 to make money in the category.
The golf shoe market is a very tough one to break into.
Being that they are not where they want to be in clubs, I would believe expanding into other areas like apparel (which they dont do) and footwear would be really tough and a bad move business wise.

I agree that the timing is not right but it might be down the road.I have spend my career in the athletic footwear industry so I know launching a brand is pretty hard.The company who owns Wilson is involved in a lot of categories so sourcing shouild not be a major issue. Callaway, New Balance and Oggio, Oakley and others all seem to have a struggled in the shoe area. However apparel is also very difficult and costly to get into. Again Wilson does tennis apparel so at least they understand how to get stuff produced. If or when they get into shoes they don't have to be #1 to make money in the category.

I would actually say Callaway has done very well in shoes.
They simply get paid to license the name, so in that aspect its a perfect deal.

Is clothing the same way? Not trying to get OT, but doesn't Perry Ellis do their stuff?

I think Wilson Staff is smart enough not to get into the golf shoe business. They know what they are doing in golf.

On a selfish level, I am a little disappointed that, in the US, W/S is not more into golf apparel. I certainly understand why they are not. Again, there are smart minds running that show.

Licensing is a hit or miss propsition. You can loose control of the quality and end up with your brand on some pretty shoddy products.

I wouldnt waste my money...do what ur good at...getting into areas that arent your expertise is like lighting cash on fire

Licensing is a hit or miss propsition. You can loose control of the quality and end up with your brand on some pretty shoddy products.

No question. However its in the best interest of the brand to have it go a different way, therefore choosing partners wisely.

Don't get me wrong what they did in terms of licensing the name was perfect for them. New Balance does the same thing. Outside of when I go to Atlanta to PGA Superstore I don't see Callaway shoes so I assumed their sales were not too great.That was kind of my point.Between the internet and maybe placing footwear in markets where W/S is strong like the U.K. they might be able to make some money.

This specific Wilson shoe example...no way that would end up on my foot.

Shoes and apparel are such hard markets. People like SUCH different opinions/likes on this, it's hard to find a balance. Then, being able to find a price point that works and makes you money had to be the hardest part.

I agree on that shoe. They have plenty of others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would argue they need to focus on club sales first.

I hope they don't take on this venture honestly. Keep developing and innovating within the club/ball market. Anything other tha. That would be a distraction IMO.

Lot of competition to break into the golf shoe market, but there is market share to be had since FJ has so much.

I don't see them doing it.

Back