Rickie to Taylormade ball and glove

Its an underrated ball for sure. My limited time with it was met with positive results and held up in all phases of my game. With Callaway and Titleist fighting out the ball wars at the top, TM has a chance to sneak in and grab some market share if they tell the story.

I don't know if I would say Titleist and Cally are fighting it out though, Titleist still DOMINATES market share by a sizeable amount. Its Titleist, then everyone else, and likely will be for some time.

The promo video for this announcement might be the single worst 30 seconds of ad space in golf, ever.

That being said if TM improved on the performance of the TP5X then its gotta be amazing.

I don't know if I would say Titleist and Cally are fighting it out though, Titleist still DOMINATES market share by a sizeable amount. Its Titleist, then everyone else, and likely will be for some time.

It is an interesting study. Titleist gets players out of college or before and then some of the big money guys seem to spur off. I dont care what ball Rickie or DJ or Justin play. I cant do what they do with it. But I think many do and it is a good strategy to get in the game quickly. Of course having a damn good balls helps too.

Is this change foreshadowing a move to Taylormade equipment deal?

Just asked Cobra Golf. The answer is no. They are in the middle of a long term contract.

Just asked Cobra Golf. The answer is no. They are in the middle of a long term contract.

This is great news imo.

Thanks for confirmation on that!

This is great news imo.

The question is, can TM do a good enough job of confusing customers into believing he might be a full staffer?

Thanks for confirmation on that!

Not to be a non believer but what did we expect them to say. Perhaps Rickie knows he has had a good run with Cobra and its time to change brands as he rolls into his 30s.

Will be interesting to no longer see rickie in titleist as. They used him heavily. Taylormade I could see continue with the switch ad campaign.

That said, I wonder what the extent of the branding will be. I cant see tp5 on his hat or bag. Only having it on his glove seems like something taylormade cant really capitalize on unless we see a lot of ads with him.

Also, rickie played left dot pro v1 which was a low spin version of the pro v1. Is he going tp5x or tp5? Most people I play with usually talk about how good the tp5x is and say that and the xv are their favorite ball. Curious to see if he is going with the x or regular.

Welcome to #TeamTaylorMade Ricky!

Great signing for TM

Not to be a non believer but what did we expect them to say. Perhaps Rickie knows he has had a good run with Cobra and its time to change brands as he rolls into his 30s.

Based on JB's relationship with them, I would expect them not to outright lie. If it wasn't the case, then something like "Both us and Rickie are very happy with where we currently are" or something similarly vague but positive.

Will be interesting to no longer see rickie in titleist as. They used him heavily. Taylormade I could see continue with the switch ad campaign.

That said, I wonder what the extent of the branding will be. I cant see tp5 on his hat or bag. Only having it on his glove seems like something taylormade cant really capitalize on unless we see a lot of ads with him.

Also, rickie played left dot pro v1 which was a low spin version of the pro v1. Is he going tp5x or tp5? Most people I play with usually talk about how good the tp5x is and say that and the xv are their favorite ball. Curious to see if he is going with the x or regular.

He's going with the x version.

This wasn’t from PR or anything. I spoke to the people that work with him weekly.

This wasn’t from PR or anything. I spoke to the people that work with him weekly.

I have no doubt your on top of this and talking to the right people. It's just that it take two to negotiate any deal. I assume there is an agent involved. Hopefully it works out to everyone's liking.

I have no doubt your on top of this and talking to the right people. It's just that it take two to negotiate any deal. I assume there is an agent involved. Hopefully it works out to everyone's liking.

Oh I’m not disputing that. What I’m saying is that he is currently under contract with Cobra and that isn’t changing anytime soon. Nothing has changed with their relationship and he liked the new clubs so much he put them right in play way ahead of expectation.

When his contract is up (not for a while), I’m sure he will weigh options that are out there. It’s not as if he played a Cobra ball, he switched from Titleist.

Great for TM, but does anyone think this will hurt the Titleist image at all? I'm guessing not since they have so many guys to choose from.

Actually analyzing this, I think it's an awesome deal for TM. At this point in Rickie's career, I can't him playing anything inferior just for the money. He wants to win, and win a lot. If he can pull through in a major (I like Augusta, after that Sunday last year), that's going to be a tremendous story for TM's marketing department.

Great for TM, but does anyone think this will hurt the Titleist image at all? I'm guessing not since they have so many guys to choose from.
I don't think it'll hurt their image, it only improves TM's

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well that is good. I will say I had the F8 + and sold it to a THpér. The F9 is so legit

I'm a fan of Rickie and some TM gear, but I have to be honest, the way TM's CEO hinted at this acquisition was a big turn off before it even happened.

“We are preparing to make one of the most significant announcements in company history – a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before. Please stay tuned.”

If Rickie goes on to win a few times this year and bag a major, it'll be a huge win for TM. I just don't see it....

It's a nice add, and I'm excited to try the new TP5x, but I feel TM overhyped this one in a big way.

I'm a fan of Rickie and some TM gear, but I have to be honest, the way TM's CEO hinted at this acquisition was a big turn off before it even happened.

“We are preparing to make one of the most significant announcements in company history – a new addition to our athlete team that will light up the industry and enhance the impact of our brand like never before. Please stay tuned.”

If Rickie goes on to win a few times this year and bag a major, it'll be a huge win for TM. I just don't see it....

It's a nice add, and I'm excited to try the new TP5x, but I feel TM overhyped this one in a big way.

It is a big deal for various reasons, two of which are

1) they are stepping away from the norm from having players either on equipment only or equipment plus ball/glove to now stepping into the ball/glove deal. Opens up to expand their team similar to titleist who has a lot of players just using a ball and gain market share in the ball market. They are the that far behind Callaway for #2 and have taken some of their share already.

2) they just signed one of the biggest names and someone that’s easy to market and can use him as a former titleist ball player to promote how good the new tp5/5x are.

I love Rickie, but for some reason this doesn't move the needle for me. It should, but I'm not sure why it doesn't.

Look forward to THPer feedback on the new ball. In fact, would love a staff writer LM shootout with a few of the new offerings. Even better if it focuses on 6i, full PW, and partial wedge.

Not shocked about the ball.....but that’s a huge coup for TM. All those kids probably didn’t care what ball he played and if they did now they’ll move from titleist to TP5. The glove is a bit of a surprise at that pulls him from Puma. That is an actual visible item people can see on course. Could be his way of sending a warning shot to CPG.... hope not

Back