Rickie to Taylormade ball and glove

I read the story on Golf.com how Ricky came to try the TP5X and it's really cool, Kind of like us finding a ball, playing and turning out to liking it:

https://www.golf.com/gear/2019/01/21/rickie-fowler-taylormade-golf-ball-deal/

"The foursomes format at the Ryder Cup comes with a built-in learning curve for players paired with a partner who doesn’t use the same ball. For Rickie Fowler, that meant getting acclimated to Dustin Johnson’s TaylorMade TP5x ball early in the week at Le Golf National to ensure he had a good idea of how it performed in a competitive environment.

Fowler figured the TP5x crash course would last a week, but the more he learned about the ball and saw how it performed in a game situation, the more he started to consider the idea of testing it further during the offseason.

With his ball contract with Titleist coming up, Fowler reached out to TaylorMade toward the end of last year to express an interest in exploring TP5 and TP5x"

“It’s been fun to see what the ball can do,” Fowler said. “Extra yardage on irons, more spin around the green. One less club for me into many holes is a pretty big advantage, too. What more do you want?”

Just goes to show that you can't be close minded when it comes to golf equipment, there could be something better for you out there.
Choices are better for everyone.

I believe the hype email was an internal announcement.

I believe there wasn't any public announcement to the media unless their plan was for the internal email/letter to leak.

Not shocked about the ball.....but that’s a huge coup for TM. All those kids probably didn’t care what ball he played and if they did now they’ll move from titleist to TP5. The glove is a bit of a surprise at that pulls him from Puma. That is an actual visible item people can see on course. Could be his way of sending a warning shot to CPG.... hope not

He didn’t wear puma gloves he work titleist so it’s not taking anything away from Puma. It’s similar to others that have footjoy deals or titleist deals.

I believe the hype email was an internal announcement.

I believe there wasn't any public announcement to the media unless their plan was for the internal email/letter to leak.

It was an internal email that got shared

Interesting that he is going from the ProV1 to the TP5x.
I don't know all the details but that 5x is one seriously low spinning ball. I'd love to see the change in some of his numbers.

Interesting that he is going from the ProV1 to the TP5x.
I don't know all the details but that 5x is one seriously low spinning ball. I'd love to see the change in some of his numbers.

And interesting that he says one of the reasons he switched was more greenside spin. Sounds like the Tour guys all like this new version a lot.

He didn’t wear puma gloves he work titleist so it’s not taking anything away from Puma. It’s similar to others that have footjoy deals or titleist deals.

Hmm now that’s even more interesting cause I just assumed it was a puma glove. Makes sense it’s not but always just imagined him wearing puma. Lol. Shame on FJ then lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm now that’s even more interesting cause I just assumed it was a puma glove. Makes sense it’s not but always just imagined him wearing puma. Lol. Shame on FJ then lol.

I don’t have any insights to what happened with him and titleist but I’ve heard it came down to $$$ and titleist wasn’t willing to meet his price. Again just speculation out there but it does seem plausible.

From a TM perspective good on them and while it may not have the glitz that a tiger would bring or a full bag for him or some others when they sign a deal. I heard this type of direction change was the reason for not resigning Rose and I’m looking forward to see who else they sign to a similar deal.

I actually can see this being a bit of a blow to Titleist, as Rickie has been a very visible member of their tour staff. Especially to younger players that relate to Rickie. IMO, it’s much more of a blow to Titleist than anyone else and a great pickup by TaylorMade to make up some ground in the ball market.

It is a big deal for various reasons, two of which are

1) they are stepping away from the norm from having players either on equipment only or equipment plus ball/glove to now stepping into the ball/glove deal. Opens up to expand their team similar to titleist who has a lot of players just using a ball and gain market share in the ball market. They are the that far behind Callaway for #2 and have taken some of their share already.

2) they just signed one of the biggest names and someone that’s easy to market and can use him as a former titleist ball player to promote how good the new tp5/5x are.

I don't disagree that it's a nice step for TM in the ball market, but I find the statement from their CEO to be way overboard, that's all. Unless Rickie wins a major and/or a few events this year, do you really think it's "one of the most significant announcements" in their history? Is it going to "light up the industry?"

Nah.

I don't disagree that it's a nice step for TM in the ball market, but I find the statement from their CEO to be way overboard, that's all. Unless Rickie wins a major and/or a few events this year, do you really think it's "one of the most significant announcements" in their history? Is it going to "light up the industry?"

Nah.

What would you have the CEO rather say? It was an internal memo dude, get over it.

Remember for those who thought he played a Pro V1. He played the left dot version which was a lower spin version of the Pro V1. With the TP5x having an extra 2 layers (was the pro v1 left dot a 3 layer or 4 layer, will probably need to recheck) there should be more spin seperation between the different clubs.

Overall, I see this more as a blow for titleist. In pretty much every Pro V1 ad he was in it and was more or less known as one of the few V guys on tour. For Cobra/Puma I would have to be concerned about the extent that Rickie is advertised with Taylormade regarding the rest of the brand. While I do not see Rickie leaving Cobra anytime soon, Taylormade is a much bigger marketing machine.

Nah.

Considering that this was an internal memo and not meant for the general public I have no issue with the ceo being excited and getting the employees excited about the direction.

It’s a significant move

Considering that this was an internal memo and not meant for the general public I have no issue with the ceo being excited and getting the employees excited about the direction.

It’s a significant move

I agree with this. I also think Rickie is the first golf ball only player they have signed. It might indicate the direction that Taylormade maybe going. Get more competitive in the ball segment while pairing down the 14 club deals and metalwoods only deals.

Last edited:
good for him. if the ball is a performs for him then why not switch. I've tested the new TP5x they have on tour. it's pretty nice.

One thing that's being overlooked is that this may actually get Puma, and to a lesser extent Cobra, a little inadvertent advertising. In all the marketing for TM, you see the Puma cat and the P hats everywhere. In the video they put out, he's hitting an F9 iron. I saw a picture of a wall in TM, and with Rickie (and Tiger next to him), the Puma and Nike branding jumped out much more than the balls in their hand.

So for Puma, this might be like Rocket Mortgage and State Farm commercials, just more of their logos everywhere.

What would you have the CEO rather say? It was an internal memo dude, get over it.
The CEO can say whatever he wants to say, I'm just stating my opinion that the language used is a massive over-hype unless applied to ONE guy on Tour, who happens to already by in the TM stable. I prefer the approach that under-promises and over-delivers.

It’s a significant move

I have to disagree with the "internal memo" notion from both of you. These memos have and continue to be shared regularly. The CEO knew exactly what would happen with the memo and I'm just tired of things being overhyped in the golf industry I suppose.

Significant move? Time will tell...:curl-lip:

The CEO can say whatever he wants to say, I'm just stating my opinion that the language used is a massive over-hype unless applied to ONE guy on Tour, who happens to already by in the TM stable. I prefer the approach that under-promises and over-delivers.

I have to disagree with the "internal memo" notion from both of you. These memos have and continue to be shared regularly. The CEO knew exactly what would happen with the memo and I'm just tired of things being overhyped in the golf industry I suppose.

I agree. I thought the "Internal memo" was over the top (I probably should get over though). I actually root for Rickie, but signing him to a ball deal was meh. Maybe it is a bigger deal in the industry, but to the average golfer, not so much.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I heard that Rickie might be switching from his standard golf shoe laces to the waxed cordo-hyde laces. What message is Rickie trying to send us by this change?

This type of letter happens all the time and from every golf company. It’s sent to their employees, staff, pro shops, etc. it’s meant for them and to draw up excitement for the brand and it happens outside of golf as well. Whether it gets shared with the public or not has no bearing on the purpose. Taylormade wasn’t hyping anything to the golfer whether it be forum members or avg weekend hacker. So there is no overhype and under deliver.

I’m with you to an extent in the overhype in the industry as it relates to branding, tech used, performance promises but this instance isn’t one of those.

The great thing about it is everyone is entitled to their opinion and reaction. You think it’s over hype as do others. I think it’s a huge deal from a brand perspective to sign a titleist ball loyalist who has a big upside when it comes to marketing to play your ball and wear your. It shows the seriousness about wanting to be considered more than just a club company that has the #3-4 ball in the market and to show the other brands they are coming for them. There’s other that agree with this sentiment.

With them also getting involved in the junior ranks they are taking a page out of the titleist playbook with getting kids playing their ball at a young age and getting them hooked to the brand and then having a Rickie Fowler to use as some to sell the ball to the same kids that are buying Puma clothing and shoes that he wears goes a long way

I’m really forward to seeing how he plays this week and the next month. If he gains some length it should make him a contender more often. The man can putt, shorter clubs may get him closer to the hole and equate to more birds.

It shows the seriousness about wanting to be considered more than just a club company that has the #3-4 ball in the market and to show the other brands they are coming for them. There’s other that agree with this sentiment.

With them also getting involved in the junior ranks they are taking a page out of the titleist playbook with getting kids playing their ball at a young age and getting them hooked to the brand and then having a Rickie Fowler to use as some to sell the ball to the same kids that are buying Puma clothing and shoes that he wears goes a long way

Agreed on the above for sure!

At the end of the day, the old TP5x was still one of, if not my favorite ball to play, so I'm excited to try the new ones, regardless of who's playing them on Tour!

I thought TM’s introductory commercial with Rickie was brilliant. If I didn’t know better i’d Assume he was 100% Taylor Made. Even the angle they shot his face conviently left out the P on his hat. Great execution making the most of an expensive asset.

TM might sell a few more balls if RF holds on today...

Not a bad start to the year for TM and Rickie! Great win for both :moneymouth:

I was really intrigued to see how the conversation may have changed with Rickie's announcement, only to then take home the WM Open. Seems to be a bit of a letdown.

Looks like the ball is a good fit for him!

Back