The Home Renovation Thread

Yep. Stuff I bought has the under layment already attached.

Are you taking the foam underlayer or the vapor barrier?

If that's on concrete and you don't have a vapor barrier you're gonna have a bad time.

Are you taking the foam underlayer or the vapor barrier?

If that's on concrete and you don't have a vapor barrier you're gonna have a bad time.

Doing both. 1st picture was me just measuring stuff out. I'm anal and not a good worker.

Finished minus the trimming and transitions.
9ae16d04cbf2c408a3d4b8a21706b18a.jpg

Finished minus the trimming and transitions.
9ae16d04cbf2c408a3d4b8a21706b18a.jpg

Looks good. You aren't already hitting the sauce, are you Matt? Power tools & alcohol = missing fingers:alien:

Does it bother you knowing you won't be staying to enjoy this? I'm sure it helps the resale value though

Looks good. You aren't already hitting the sauce, are you Matt? Power tools & alcohol = missing fingers:alien:

Does it bother you knowing you won't be staying to enjoy this? I'm sure it helps the resale value though

Yeah it wouldn't have sold with the mismatch carpet and different color hardwood we had down halfway done. Not sure why it took me this long to finish.

Stan that's a good plan just make sure you don't put in too much money into it. Kitchens and bathrooms are the most expensive to redo and can get ridiculous if not careful.

Matt that looks good man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have experience or feedback with composite decking? Intending to reuse sub-frame that's on current deck after I get all of the existing wooden top deck removed.

Area will be 30x22 so I'll probably end up looking to pick up 800 SQFT as I want to use some it on the steps that I'll be building. Trying to keep costs down but I know this stuff is still pricey. Would like to use the hidden fastener system.

Really looking for the best "bang for the buck".

Anyone have experience or feedback with composite decking? Intending to reuse sub-frame that's on current deck after I get all of the existing wooden top deck removed.

Area will be 30x22 so I'll probably end up looking to pick up 800 SQFT as I want to use some it on the steps that I'll be building. Trying to keep costs down but I know this stuff is still pricey. Would like to use the hidden fastener system.

I know my neighbor did exactly as you are describing. If my memory related to dimensions serve me correct they are almost identical. Let me talk with him about it. I know he did it himself as well.

Used Trex to resurface my deck a few years ago and the results exceed expectations. The hidden fasteners are easy to use. Also installed a Trex railing. This update is one of my favorite projects and think the investment is worth it. We spend more time on the deck.

Have Trex on my front porch and one deck on my house, TimberTech on the screened in deck on the other side. Had Trex on the deck at my last house. The TimberTech product I used is no longer available, which is a shame because it's a T&G style similar to hardwood flooring - blind fastening was built in and you only needed to use standard deck screws. As far as bang for the buck goes, all makes are pretty close to one another in terms of price, last I looked. What you pay for as you go up the price chain is more durability, stain resistance, and less maintenance.

When re-using the framing pay attention to the joist spacing guidelines for the decking materials you choose. If you have too much span between joists you can get some flex, particularly when the sun has been beating down on it a while. Many of the brands have provisions for blind fastening systems already in place which can save some work. Also know that composites will follow the imperfections of your framing, so if you have some joists with pronounced crowns or dips that can telegraph through onto the deck surface with composite.

Last edited:
Hopefully we have some HVAC/plumbing guys on the forums that can help...I'm looking to remove one baseboard hot water heater in my kitchen and was hoping someone could shed some light on how difficult/easy this project might be. I've done some light research on it and have the basic steps down: Drain boiler, cut out radiator, patch/cap pipes based on system, fill and purge boiler. It sounds and looks relatively easy in my head, but I'm sure there are some nuances that I don't know about. Any help?

Great info so far gents, appreciate it!

Will definitely double check the spacing John, believe it's currently at 36" or 42".

The Home Renovation Thread

Great info so far gents, appreciate it!

Will definitely double check the spacing John, believe it's currently at 36" or 42".

Cookie, one thing I want you to be aware of. I find trex to be a good product, however it has a tendency to get hot on the feet. And Texas has a longer hot sun seasons. Hidden clips are great, but can be a pain in the ass at times.

Last edited:
Any idea how the colors hold up on the composite decking? I want to re-do our back deck that has peeled/needed to be restained every single year since we built it.

Part of me just wants to find a grey color and be done with it (currently everything is blue).

Any idea how the colors hold up on the composite decking? I want to re-do our back deck that has peeled/needed to be restained every single year since we built it.

Part of me just wants to find a grey color and be done with it (currently everything is blue).

In direct sunlight? They fade. Some take longer than others but in the battle of man vs. sun, sun wins every time - as you probably already know given your restaining schedule.

Obviously lighter colors show less fading. But it takes time regardless. The absence of splintering, cupping, twisting is a huge benefit with composit decks.

We have a big tan color composite deck. It was built almost 8 years ago and I haven't noticed any fading at all. I clean it once every spring and it looks brand new after each cleaning.

Who knows how to do pavers for a not so large area and is in the Tampa area?

Who knows how to do pavers for a not so large area and is in the Tampa area?

Thought I would bump this one more time.

Thought I would bump this one more time.

You don't want to do yourself? I can source a contractor friend of mine for a referral

You don't want to do yourself? I can source a contractor friend of mine for a referral

Its not that I dont want to, its that you have met me...haha
No, its a unique situation where we are just looking to extend ours a bit. The problem is that the original homeowner laid the concrete underneath and went with the thin/half pavers. So I am not exactly sure what to do here, but I know it needs to be done and needs to be done soon.

Ok name coming

I did my pavers and they turned out well, definitely not a pro however. It's actually not difficult, but is pretty laborious.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Have an odd situation..

Home inspection was done on my townhouse and the inspector said that I needed my drain pipe that is in my attic to be extended to the exterior of structure. It is currently going into a pan with a shut off switch.

Called two local HVAC company and they said as of January 1, 2016, those drain lines are not required to be on the exterior of structure. Talked to my friend who is a HVAC mechanic and he said those exact words before I could finish what the inspector said.

Inspector responded by saying it needs to be done.

What to do now??

Have an odd situation..

Home inspection was done on my townhouse and the inspector said that I needed my drain pipe that is in my attic to be extended to the exterior of structure. It is currently going into a pan with a shut off switch.

Called two local HVAC company and they said as of January 1, 2016, those drain lines are not required to be on the exterior of structure. Talked to my friend who is a HVAC mechanic and he said those exact words before I could finish what the inspector said.

Inspector responded by saying it needs to be done.

What to do now??
Have the AC contractor put it in writing

Back