Stock Market & Retirement Planning

Market is down almost 350 now.

I was having a conversation about 401K's this morning. We're all hurting in that area. Silver lining is, hopefully since I'm adding to it each month via work. That, with the addition of shares at such a low mark, hopefully in 25 or 30 years when I'm looking at retiring. Things will have significantly jumped back up making the shares bought REALLY low, that much better.

My 401k is battered and bruised. :(

Same here. I made the mistake of looking at mine earlier this week. I really wish I hadn't.

Got hammered in an interview the other day about being a market timer. Guys probably pissed because his accounts are down and I think I've lost maybe 50 bucks. Hard to advocate constant investing though when I'm 95% in cash. Probably won't get the job. Damn :/

Is it bad when you crave -224 because its well over 300 down?

Yes, that's bad... Meanwhile I'm betting on OIL!

So glad that I am retired now. Civil Service allowed me to leave at 50 (12 years ago) with a dedicated pension and 3/4 of my assets in guaranteed fixed interest accounts.
My keys to success (or just dumb luck): never had children, no alimony, a strong will to save money that I got from my father in the 60's, a wife with a similar pension and the biggest thing: paid medical. I wish you younger people luck in the future, high portfolio returns and offer the hint to keep on saving. But also enjoy your life because nothing is guaranteed.

Ps: not advocating no kids, I never wanted children and it was just the way my life worked out.

I love getting my pension statement for last year and seeing the made me a whopping 0.6% last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love getting my pension statement for last year and seeing the made me a whopping 0.6% last year.

I think many would kill for that right now.
Our economy is in the sh***er and every week the market seems to "crash".

I don't even know what to think anymore. It's the same financial headlines - China's manufacturing and economy in the crapper, shipping industry is going bankrupt, commodities continue to sink. Essentially, what I'm gathering, is the global economy is a black hole and good luck forecasting the future.

Got mine for our tsp and I'm not sure I made that much as a whole some funds made some lost but I'm in for the long haul got 14yrs till I can retire from here.

stay strong and be in it for the long term

I try not to look but your future is invested in it and it is hard not to! But I am only 32 so still have some time for the market to bounce back.

stay strong and be in it for the long term

For sure

I try not to look but your future is invested in it and it is hard not to! But I am only 32 so still have some time for the market to bounce back.

I'm 33 but at 25yrs of service I can retire I could go 34yrs if I chose but that will not happen. I will retire and do something when I hit 25yrs at 48.

The closer I get the more I watch to make sure i will be good to go when eligible.

Trust me I know, it was extremely hard not to sell during the crash of 2008/09. It was like watching your money go down the drain. But a wise investor once said, you don't lose any money if you don't sell... If I would have sold during 08/09 I would have lost at least 50% of my money. A lot of my co workers did. But I held strong and even with the crap we are going through now am still up quite a bit. Just don't play with money you will need anytime soon.

I actually plan to go at 50 (thats when my financial advisor says i will be good to go) just hoping the market cooperates.

What really sucks is the group that manages your money took more than that out of the fund to pay themselves. Crooks.

What really sucks is the group that manages your money took more than that out of the fund to pay themselves. Crooks.

While I agree with you, it was of a knock on our markets. I can't do anything about the fees charged at its thru work. All I can do I watch it over the next 30 years and hope there's enough in there to retire on.

Yeah that whole thing is just crazy to me.

smells fishy

smells fishy

Just like the Enron guy committing suicide.

I'm not a big conspiracy freak by any means, but there is a strong chance the CHK death was staged and the guy is in the Bahamas or something. Just too convenient.

Sitting on my IRA contribution waiting for another blood bath of a down day before I jump in.

I moved some stuff yesterday bc of the volatility. Keeping my eye out for good buys and take advantage of the low sitting on a decent amount to make some moves.

I moved some stuff yesterday bc of the volatility. Keeping my eye out for good buys and take advantage of the low sitting on a decent amount to make some moves.

I have to invest the IRA contribution (otherwise it sits), so I think I am going to look at some high dividend payouts. Still like the play of T, since the Directv merger and believe there is some serious revenue sitting there for them, and they have a heck of a dividend.

Back