Are you a 'more club' or 'swing harder' type of golfer?

I try to grab more club unless it just happens to be way to much club. If distance is closer to the lower club, I will swing harder. But if it's closer to the higher club then I go that way. So for me I guess it depends at what point in between clubs I am.

More club if it is into the wind or the pin is in the middle or back or otherwise easy to stop the ball, swing harder if the pin is tucked or might get a bit of a flier or downwind.

More club for me. Swinging harder tends to get me in unneeded trouble.

If I'm in between I always take an extra club, choke down a hair and try to smooth one out there. Things generally don't go well for me when I try to put a little extra on the swing.

I never really swing 100% so i have a comfortable 5-10 yrds with my full swing. If its more than that I club up

Oh definitely more club, swinging harder with these old bones is not gonna happen

I'm a swing harder guy as a general rule. There's always a decent chance I'll take more club, swing easy, and end up with a shot that is center contact but less spin that goes way too far. So unless I'm trying to flight a shot, and the difference is only a couple yards, I'll take the shorter club, swing a little harder than my normal 80%, knowing that a solid shot with a shorter club will go a little farther while going a little higher and with more spin. But that's all under the umbrella of course management. Is it better to miss short or long on that hole, or when firing at that pin?

Taking more club is always the wisest choice IMHO. Reason being is if you try to swing harder, all you end up doing is imparting more spin on the ball and it either balloons up in the air or backs up off the green.
On the other hand, if you take more club, choke down a few inches, swing normally it comes out a boring shot with the correct distance.

I have learned from a lot of mistakes to always take more club. The swing harder idea never ends well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am always aggressive so the hard swing is mine. But this year I must learn it gets me in more trouble the helps

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm a 'swing harder' guy and I'll tell you why. I'm not good enough to swing the club at 60%, 70%, 75%....whatever. I have just as good of a chance of coming up short whether I club down and swing harder or if I club up and try anything less than a full swing. And I'll go even further with this and say that I have absolutely NO tempo when trying to hit a golf ball with anything less than a full swing--which introduces even worse ball striking than I already have.

I think the smarter decision is to club up and swing smooth, but this is absolutely something I need to work on, and until I do, I'll be a 'swing harder' golfer.

I'm in the exact same boat. Every time I try to "take something off" I end up with horrible contact. The shots (mostly talking iron shots) I hit the best always seem to be the ones where I know I can't make the green, or I know I'll really have to catch it clean to get there.

Trying to finesse anything is always a terrible idea for me.

Taking more club is always the wisest choice IMHO. Reason being is if you try to swing harder, all you end up doing is imparting more spin on the ball and it either balloons up in the air or backs up off the green.
On the other hand, if you take more club, choke down a few inches, swing normally it comes out a boring shot with the correct distance.

Ballooning, maybe. I can swing as hard as my body will let me, though, and I've never once had a ball back up. Either my clubs, my swing, or the combination of the two won't allow it.

More club while swinging smooth. Or at least trying my best to!

Depends.

If it's an 8 iron or lower, I tend to swing with a more aggressive approach. 7 iron or higher and I'll club up.

However, like others have said, the shot is also predicated on course conditions and overall hole/shot management

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to be swing harder when I was trying to keep up with my buddies, now I just swing smoother with more club and put it closer than them. They feel like less of men when they par/bogey to my birdie/par.

Typically more club for me

I usually go with more club except when I don't take my own advice which can be often

More club ... swinging harder never works for me ...

Always more club, less swing

when in between its usually more club, less swing for me. Or could be same swing but with a choked up grip creating a shorter shaft for less speed. Bottom line here is that imo swinging easier offers better results much more often vs swinging harder. Actually swinging harder may often end up with a slower swing speed and not to mention mechanically flawed. At least for most mid and certainly high cappers.

When I get bored, I watch a LOT of YouTube golf videos. One thing I take from them is that there is NEVER just 'one way' to do things.

I was watching one earlier and the host was playing a round. His par 5 approach shot was topped and resulted in the ball sitting in the rough. He mentioned that it was sitting up in the rough and that his options were either to take more club or to swing harder. Ultimately, he elected to take more club.

I got to thinking about situations like that where my ball may be sitting up or where I'm just between clubs. In cases where neither long nor short are bad misses... I almost always elect to swing harder. When I try to take more club and swing a little slower, I find the ball either comes out really dead or way right.

So... if you're faced with a similar situation... what's your preferred option?
Used to be "swing harder", in recent months changed to "more club, grip down a bit" and to me it's made a positive difference :)

I liked the swing harder idea until I golfed with a good friend of mines father and he explained that once he learned to play, what he called "Old man Golf", he was able to shave strokes off of his matches. I have since taken this into consideration, and I plan to start focusing on clubbing up myself

More club. Swinging harder rarely works out well.

Back