Charleston Area Course recommendations?

tcugdu

Reaction score
Handicap
8.8 GHIN
Headed back to the Masters in April and will be based in Charleston for the weekend. In the past we have played Stono Ferry and RiverTowne and enjoyed both. Looking for another couple of courses to try out.

I take a guys golf trip every summer to nice courses and Kiawah Island and Wild Dunes are on our list. The group for this trip will be on more of a budget, so I'm thinking sub-$200 per round.

Recommendations, good or bad?

Thanks. I saw that thread and one or two others but they were all several years old and without many responses.

Anyone have thoughts on Seabrook Island?

My Dad lives in the area, so I go down and play every now and again. Patriot's Pointe is an awesome experience if you haven't played it before. Beautiful course, right on the Harbor, and fits your budget. That'd be my top recommendation if you haven't played there previously. Wild Dunes is also a gem. The Links Course is the better of the two and gets most of the recognition, but both the Links Course and Harbor Course are great. Depends on price which one you'll want to play. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three. I'd recommend Stono Ferry as well if you hadn't already played there.

Thanks for the recommendations. We have tee times booked at Wild Dunes Links and Harbor.

Now just trying to decide between RiverTowne and Patriots Point.

Thanks for the recommendations. We have tee times booked at Wild Dunes Links and Harbor.

If it's between those two, I'd throw my vote in for Patriot's Pointe. You truly can't go wrong with either - both are fantastic. But Patriot's Point gets a slight edge for me just because it's right on the harbor and has some pretty incredible views. But again, both are awesome courses.

Headed back to the Masters in April and will be based in Charleston for the weekend. In the past we have played Stono Ferry and RiverTowne and enjoyed both. Looking for another couple of courses to try out.

I take a guys golf trip every summer to nice courses and Kiawah Island and Wild Dunes are on our list. The group for this trip will be on more of a budget, so I'm thinking sub-$200 per round.

Recommendations, good or bad?

I really enjoyed Cobblestone when we went to the Masters in 2015.
http://www.cobblestoneparkgolfclub.com/

Rivertowne all day every day between these two. PP basically has 3 good holes with the rest being pretty basic links with no real thinking involved in how to play it haha.

Rivertowne all day every day between these two. PP basically has 3 good holes with the rest being pretty basic links with no real thinking involved in how to play it haha.

As a local, any others you'd recommend in the north Charleston area?

As a local, any others you'd recommend in the north Charleston area?

In the North Charleston area I would highly recommend Wescott plantation. It’s a 27 hole course that has very good greens most of the year. TTheir only issue is typically if it rains within the past week or so you could still be cartpath only. That area Charleston just doesn’t drain well.

Another place that is technically private but does allow some public play is Coosaw Creek. It’s a fun little course, but nothing super special compared to others.

One that’s not too far up the road in Goosecreek it’s called Crowfield plantation. Has a few quirky holes, but if you want a good challenge especially with tough fast greens this is the course to do it for a good price.

In Summerville one of my favorites is Pine Forest. You can play it for silly cheap typically and I think it’s a very fair test of golf with a good to very good layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the North Charleston area I would highly recommend Wescott plantation. It’s a 27 hole course that has very good greens most of the year. TTheir only issue is typically if it rains within the past week or so you could still be cartpath only. That area Charleston just doesn’t drain well.

Another place that is technically private but does allow some public play is Coosaw Creek. It’s a fun little course, but nothing super special compared to others.

One that’s not too far up the road in Goosecreek it’s called Crowfield plantation. Has a few quirky holes, but if you want a good challenge especially with tough fast greens this is the course to do it for a good price.

In Summerville one of my favorites is Pine Forest. You can play it for silly cheap typically and I think it’s a very fair test of golf with a good to very good layout.

I have to disagree about Crowfield Plantation and Pine Forest. I play at Crowfield a lot - my best friend's father is the superintendent there, so we play for free or cheap. The greens are super small and crazy slow. Beautiful course with some cool holes, but I think you could find several better options in the area. As far as Pine Forest, it's nothing more than your run of the mill everyday public course.

I have to disagree about Crowfield Plantation and Pine Forest. I play at Crowfield a lot - my best friend's father is the superintendent there, so we play for free or cheap. The greens are super small and crazy slow. Beautiful course with some cool holes, but I think you could find several better options in the area. As far as Pine Forest, it's nothing more than your run of the mill everyday public course.

I haven’t gotten up to crowfield in a bit but last time I played they were very quick. Stinks that has changed.

Pine forest isn’t anything special for sure but the layout is good. Especially the back nine. Plus price is right most of the time. I’d agree that some of the other choices listed are better (RT,Dunes West, etc) but I’d put it better than patriots, shadow moss, legend oaks and crowefield.

Absolutely hate Wescott tbh. Greens are grainy and roll poorly, boring setup that’s overpriced.

Agree with Pine Forest, tough track honestly. Long course (short Par 3’s make overall distance deceiving) and lots of undulation in the greens

Absolutely hate Wescott tbh. Greens are grainy and roll poorly, boring setup that’s overpriced.

Agree with Pine Forest, tough track honestly. Long course (short Par 3’s make overall distance deceiving) and lots of undulation in the greens

I haven't played up there much in the past year just due to covid and distance to drive there for me. I never thought their greens were super grainy compared to most bermuda greens in the area, although more and more are switching over to paspalum which is nice.

I haven't played up there much in the past year just due to covid and distance to drive there for me. I never thought their greens were super grainy compared to most bermuda greens in the area, although more and more are switching over to paspalum which is nice.

Legend Oaks greens are far superior. Idk maybe I’m crazy haha but every time I played Wescott I was just bored

Legend Oaks greens are far superior. Idk maybe I’m crazy haha but every time I played Wescott I was just bored

All three 9s do tend to run together with little stand out holes to stay with you haha

True. Great carts though! I swear I could take a nap in those things at times
Dude dunes west new carts are soooo comfy.
Haven’t played wescott recent enough to see the new carts. Can’t play there until may or June unless I want to wade through mud. Although everywhere right now is a swamp with all this rain

Back