What is your favorite golfing memory?

A simple yet not so simple question, What is your favorite golfing memory? I know a lot of us have participated in many THP events and have had a lot of fun. So with that being said, what's yours? Was it a THP event? Was it with family?

I know for myself I have multiple and have been trying tell the story just about one. I can't wait to hear some of the stories!

For my dad's 65th birthday I surprised him with a trip to TPC Sawgrass for 2 rounds on the stadium course. Was an amazing time and we both parred 17 which is a memory I'll never forget.

The round with my dad before my wedding in St. Kitt's sticks out. Just a lot of fun and we had a lot of family and friends coming in that we were meeting after the round. The course was right on the ocean and we had the place to ourselves.

Last round with my Dad. My Dad had Parkinson's disease and would go with me to the course as much as he could. Sometimes he would play other times he would ride in the cart. About 6 months before his passing. He spent 27 straight days in the hospital.

The day after he got out he said he wanted to go to the course. I didn't expect him to play that day but he wanted to take his clubs. We played 18 holes. It was the first time in over a year he played 18 holes and the last time he was able to the golf course with me. It was also one of the last times he was able to leave the house. Being able to share that round with him and the joy he had that day. Is something that will stay with forever.

I have another one.
I played with 441, ddec and Mward in a foursome and I swear that is the most fun I have ever had on a golf course. My sides literally hurt from laughing.

Playing with 2 of those 3 (minus Wardy) at the 2014 Bridgestone Championship was definitely the most fun I have experienced during a round of golf.

I am willing to bet that this weekend at the THP Kickoff Classic will add quite a few incredible golfing memories to my list!

-Every minute of the Grandaddy trip
-The round with O'Carroll, Canadan and 441 the day after Indy Invitational. I think we won the match, but I had such a great time during that round. Being only a month after I had just moved to Indy, it was a much need good time for me.
-Breakfast with Roger Cleveland before the final round at the Gauntlet.
-Any round that I have shared with member of the ZooCrew.

ANY round I get in with my father and two uncles.
Winning my Office Championship (and then repeating 8 days after being cleared for "putting" after my broken wrist) with my 3 coworker buddies.
Beating Canadan and 441 with amsmith61 in Indianapolis after an assist from a bridge.
Effing bridge
-Every minute of the Grandaddy trip
-The round with O'Carroll, Canadan and 441 the day after Indy Invitational. I think we won the match, but I had such a great time during that round. Being only a month after I had just moved to Indy, it was a much need good time for me.
-Breakfast with Roger Cleveland before the final round at the Gauntlet.
-Any round that I have shared with member of the ZooCrew.
See above

I've had quite a few good memories that I can recall easily like who I was with or the scenery of somewhere not here (LOL). But my favorite still has to golfing with my wife, a 36+ cap. We were at the Players Course at Indian Wells and she shot a 100. She was playing great and could have been better had it not been for the extremely slow play the last 5 holes, we waited more than 5 mins at the tee boxes and you could see it and hear it, she was getting mad and still managed her PB.

OK so here is mine. I have been fighting with myself over the last few days of which story I would tell and every time I would think about it this story would come up. This may be a little long winded so please bear with me as I tell the story.

First, a little background on me for those who do not know me that well. I grew up in southern Ohio, in a town of less than 1500 people and I lived on a 40-acre farm. In fact, when you compare the 2000 census and some of the farm reports from 2000, there were more head of cattle in our county than people. So that being said there wasn’t much to do other than farm, hunt and fish. Growing up I did hunt and fish but not like my Dad. It was his passion and we did not have that in common but there was one thing that we did have in common, golf!

Golf was a big part of my dad’s life and it soon became a big part in mine. I had plastic clubs at age 2 and there are pictures of me beating the crap out of my brother with them when I was 4. One thing that sticks with me after all of these years is my 5[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday. My dad used to take an annual golf trip with his buddies in the spring every year. For my birthday that year he brought home a real set of clubs for me. I was so excited that we made it a tradition that we would go out and play on my birthday every year. My dad was my coach, mentor, and complete hard a$$ when I did not want to practice. Even though we live 3 hours away from each other now I still call him when things are going wrong.
Fast forward 11 years from my 5[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday. By my high school years, I was playing some pretty good golf but for some reason during the summer between my junior and senior year it was particularly bad. Well let’s just say awful. I was averaging right around a 75 leading up to that summer but over that last couple of months I had not broken 80. Needless to say I was very angry and wouldn’t listen to anyone on how to fix it.

That summer would be my last playing in the local junior amateur tournament. I had my dad caddy for me that weekend and I did not have any expectations at all. I just wanted to get out there, play and go home. Golf was no longer fun for me at this point. So we get to the course that morning for the first day of play and my warm up session was absolute crap. I was fuming and really did not care what happened. I wanted to get back in the truck and just leave but my dad being my dad made me stay and play. The course we played the first day was my home course. I had played it hundreds of times. $108 for a junior membership was really cheap!

So my tee time comes and to make an already long story shorter I shot 42 on the front 9. 42! Walking off the 9[SUP]th[/SUP] green I look to my dad and say “Can we just leave now?” He just shakes his head no and we start walking to the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] tee. We get to the tee and we are all alone. The other guys in my group went in to get a hotdog and something to drink. My dad walks over to me, grabs me by the shoulders, and word for word says this, “Get your SH*% together! You are better than this and you need to prove it to yourself that you can come back. Forget the last 9 holes, forget the last 2 months, and play the hole in front of you. Now let’s FU*#&(@ get it done!” My dad is very blunt person.
So I tee off on 10 and hit my best drive of the day. In fact, I drove the green. I was a little fired up after the pep talk! ;) Proceed to 2 putt for my first of many birdies to come. After I make the putt my dad looks over at me, smiles, and give me a wink. Birdie on 11, par 12, birdie 13, par 14 (lipped out a 4ft birdie putt), birdie 15, par 16, par 17, and birdie 18 for a back 9 30! 42 on the front and 30 on the back to shoot a 1 over 72! As we are walking off of 18 my dad gives me a huge hug and says “Never forget that feeling!” Well I never have and when I am down in a round I think of this moment. After this round I went on to play some of the best golf I have ever had. I shot my personal best 2 weeks later (66) and won the local amateur qualifier that summer as well (69).

Sorry for being so long winded and thanks to those who stuck with me. I don’t get to tell the story that often in full detail but it truly makes me happy every time I do.

my best golf memory was actually at my grandparents house they got me into golf in grade school and i used to go over and hit balls with a shortened iron he made me in his side yard. facing the street. i remember the day i finally hit a ball over the street and landed it in his neighbors front yard. once it did that he said it was finally ready to go to a real course.

I played in #TheGrandaddy. Nothing will trump that for me in this game.

Playing Ballybunion in Ireland with my close friends ...

I walked off the course that day, and said this was the best golf in my life! Someone asked what I shot, and I did not even know ... score meant nothing to me at the time. Just being in Ireland, at Ballybunion playing a real links course, and just a beautiful day. I wanted/dreamed that experience, and I soaked in every minute.

I have a few...in this order.

1.) Playing a round of golf with my Great Grandfather, Grandfather, Dad and Twin Brother...only happened one time.
2.) The first time I won a golf tournament in High School
3.) Getting a college golf scholarship
4.) 1st time breaking 70 on 18 holes
5.) Playing in the Grandaddy

Attending the 1980 us open with my father.

Walking 18 holes with my dad 6 months after his heart attack. That round made me appreciate golf/life/ him more than any other day on the course.

Breaking 80 for the first time. Was also one of the last rounds I played with my dad.

Winning the Morgan Cup. I put everything I had into getting ready for that event and having it pay off for both my team and myself with one of the best rounds of my career is something I will never forget.

1. Winning my golf league championship
2. Parring Redan at North Berwick
3. Standing on Swilcain Bridge with my brother and brothers-in-law as the first group of the day at St. Andrews

Walking to the Bus after day one of the 2014 Grandaddy. The Forum behind what I had done, ZooCrew giving me high fives, overcoming 2 big deficits to come back and win with my partner and Freind Jdtox was an awesome feeling.

Then my HIO, I simply couldn't believe it...

Any golf with my high school buddies. With them, we're teenagers again.

1. My hole in one during my last college match
2. My first par and birdie on the same summer day.
3. 18 holes with POTUS Clinton

-All the rounds I've got to share with my dad over the years. Especially the one where he had a hole in one.

-Every second of #TheGranddaddy

Back