Regrooving Irons...

Bullfrog

Team Hackers 4EVA!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full swing
You see all those Iron re-grooving tools. Has anyone tried it? Does it help with older irons instead of replacing them? Will it change the head weight of the iron? How many times can you regroove an iron before its time to get new heads? Will it cause more spin? Have been thinking about it.

You see all those Iron re-grooving tools. Has anyone tried it? Does it help with older irons instead of replacing them? Will it change the head weight of the iron? How many times can you regroove an iron before its time to get new heads? Will it cause more spin? Have been thinking about it.

ive done it with old worn down wedges. im sure it makes the clubs illegal once you do it. it did work wonders for the old wedges though lol

Well, its difficult.
First off you have to make sure that they stay USGA legal.

Well, its difficult.

This. Plus, you can cut the hell out of yourself if you aren't incredibly careful.

I haven't done it, and probably wouldn't for fear of making them illegal. Also because by the time I wear grooves out, I probably want something new anyways.

I think if the head is beat up that bad, it's time to turn it in to the metal recycler.

Regrooving Irons...

I had a re-groover tool I used on an old set of wedges. It was sharp and did a great job with the grooves on the iron. Maybe too great, I'm sure afterwards they weren't USGA legal. Which is why I tried an old set.

I bought one of those and tried it on an old set of irons several years ago.
It did clean out all the grooves and such, but were they legal when I was don?
Who knows? I have no way of measuring.

Well, its difficult.

How do you make sure they stay USGA legal? Do the grooves have to be a certain depth or under?

How do you make sure they stay USGA legal? Do the grooves have to be a certain depth or under?

The groove rule for size and depth is pretty exact.

If you made your club illegal by resharpening the grooves would it still be acceptable for use for handicapping purposes? I thought I read that you could use old non-conforming wedges through 2024.

If you made your club illegal by resharpening the grooves would it still be acceptable for use for handicapping purposes? I thought I read that you could use old non-conforming wedges through 2024.

That depends on what you do.
The previous lines of wedges, still had rules governing the grooves.

Back