Are you a 'more club' or 'swing harder' type of golfer?

cyoung2ty

Reaction score
Handicap
When I get bored, I watch a LOT of YouTube golf videos. One thing I take from them is that there is NEVER just 'one way' to do things.

I was watching one earlier and the host was playing a round. His par 5 approach shot was topped and resulted in the ball sitting in the rough. He mentioned that it was sitting up in the rough and that his options were either to take more club or to swing harder. Ultimately, he elected to take more club.

I got to thinking about situations like that where my ball may be sitting up or where I'm just between clubs. In cases where neither long nor short are bad misses... I almost always elect to swing harder. When I try to take more club and swing a little slower, I find the ball either comes out really dead or way right.

So... if you're faced with a similar situation... what's your preferred option?

I'm a 'swing harder' guy and I'll tell you why. I'm not good enough to swing the club at 60%, 70%, 75%....whatever. I have just as good of a chance of coming up short whether I club down and swing harder or if I club up and try anything less than a full swing. And I'll go even further with this and say that I have absolutely NO tempo when trying to hit a golf ball with anything less than a full swing--which introduces even worse ball striking than I already have.

I think the smarter decision is to club up and swing smooth, but this is absolutely something I need to work on, and until I do, I'll be a 'swing harder' golfer.

It took me a long time but finally learned a few years ago that more club produced better results than swinging harder.

With an iron I'm a more club kind of guy. With hybo or 3w I'm a swing harder kind of guy. So both I guess

I'll usually take an extra club because swinging harder gets my swing out of whack more often than a partial swing.

I'm a take more club person. I too find that trying to swing harder ends up making a bad situation worse.

When I club up it's hard for me to slow my swing down. So I like to swing harder instead.

One swing all shots.. club up or down.. in my case to otherwise would be to undermine my quest for consistant repeatable swing each time.

More club. If I try to murder it I typically slam the face shut and hook it.

Now, when I club up I don't swing softer, I just choke up a touch.

I think my mentality is best summed up as, "This one goes to 11."

More club every time, and I can make a nice smooth stroke. Swinging harder seems to always get me in trouble.

Definitely, a more club guy. If I over swing everything gets out of whack!!

Extra club as long as being long isn't penalizing, otherwise I'd rather be short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swinging harder never works out well for me so I am a more club player

More club and swing smoother. Swing harder never seems to work.

More club. I can gear down when needed (usually by choking down), but swinging harder for me leads to bigger misses.

if it is because of the lie I would usually swing harder. if it is because of an outside force like wind and things i'll club up.

It depends on the yardage I'm presented with and my state of mind. Some days I feel good and can go hard. Some days I just want to swing easy.

I'll take one more club and choke down on it and take a normal swing. Swinging hard equates to faster tempo with me. Get's me all out of sorts.

Until last year I was 100% swing harder. After a few lessons, and reading some great post on THP I adopted taking a longer club and going easy to get there. Results were all the proof I needed. However, there are still times I like to have that extra gear to grab if necessary.

Depends on the green for me. If I need a high ball that stops quick I swing harder. If I have room to let one release I club up and swing easy.

I used to be a swing harder golf, now i'm a one more club golfer.

I used to be a swing harder person, back when I was a younger man. Now I'm about 50-50, and I sometimes think I'm still in my twenties. Usually winds up badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOre club and watch my tempo. When i try to get too much out of a club, it doesn't end well.

Back