A Handicap dilemma

Boston_golfer

Reaction score
Say you live in an area where the is an off season, and towards the end of the season, you have a handicap in the high 20s. Then in the off season you practice, take lessons, etc and dramatically improve your game. Then, you have a tournament early in the next season, before you can get enough matches for a more updated handicap. Is it "Wrong" to play under your current handicap? Do you risk being accused of sandbagging or cheating if you play a great round?

You do run that risk, but that is part of the issue with the handicap system.

That's a big concern. Another issue I see with the handicap system is the fact that you can't submit a solo round any longer - it may take you a lot longer to get enough rounds in with partners to be able to accurately note your new lower handicap. That's going to be an issue for me already.

If you improved that much then good on you. If someone says anything you can just say you spent the winter working with an instructor and are just now seeing the improvement in your game. Have your instructor's contact information with you should they want to book some time with him.

I have a high handicap. it's currently 30.2. I have scored 100-102 in my last 5 rounds. In all of those 5 rounds, I've had a 3 or 4 -putt in at LEAST 10 holes. sometimes more. I've been working my butt off with putting at home. Doing drills and practicing about 20-40 minutes a night Now, if I improve to where I eliminate all 4 putts, and most 3-putts, I can easily score in the mid-low 90's, maybe even high 80's in a great round with a little luck.
Now....maybe I go out there, and continue to shoot 100's (hopefully my off season practice pays off, and I don't). But I fill in for a league that uses handicaps for skins, and there's also another tournament I'm playing in May. I never thought I'd be worried to have to good of a round, lol.

The hdcp system is what it is. If you made improvements in your game during the "off season" then that's great and you will be at an advantage. You may get the sandbagging comments but if your improved game continues the cap will soon reflect it.

I usually start off good in the season due to I get a lot of sim time all winter so I have no swing rust. Somewhere during the last 1/3 of the season my game drops off. So my cap fluctuates down quickly then fades off in to the distance

I agree w that being an issue with the current handicap system - although you are probably not alone in the issue, where you spend a lot of time on a single aspect of your game in the offseason and it pays off when you get back on the course.
Accept the fact that you will benefit for a few rounds, post those scores, and see where the season takes you.

I have a high handicap. it's currently 30.2. I have scored 100-102 in my last 5 rounds. In all of those 5 rounds, I've had a 3 or 4 -putt in at LEAST 10 holes. sometimes more. I've been working my butt off with putting at home. Doing drills and practicing about 20-40 minutes a night Now, if I improve to where I eliminate all 4 putts, and most 3-putts, I can easily score in the mid-low 90's, maybe even high 80's in a great round with a little luck.
Now....maybe I go out there, and continue to shoot 100's (hopefully my off season practice pays off, and I don't). But I fill in for a league that uses handicaps for skins, and there's also another tournament I'm playing in May. I never thought I'd be worried to have to good of a round, lol.

you aren't breaking any rules so, good for you, too bad for them. knock a couple strokes off on the putts and put the money in your pocket

Art, didn't we play together at Red Tail? Maybe I can use you and O'Carroll as references to how bad I sucked, if I'm accused of anything...lol. (Again.....none of this even matters if I still suck come April, lol)

If the system is going to give you strokes, TAKE THE DAMN STROKES! If people complain, and everybody is from the same area and deals with the off season, they will understand.

BUT TAKE THE DAMN STROKES!

It is what it is. 99.99% of people will come into the new season playing much worse than their handicap. Reap the rewards of your hard work and improvement. If people say you are sandbagging invite them to put in the work too.

I would say that if you are a 30+ handicap people should expect your play to be in flux unless you are a guy who just goes out and plays and doesn't work to improve. You are on the right track for getting better if you have that many 3 and 4 putts. You are losing at least 10 strokes a round there.

It can also work both ways. I've had seasons where I put in lots of work all season, and am playing my best at the end of the year. Then, don't do any work over winter and come into next season shooting higher than my handicap. Funny though, never been called out for shooting higher than my cap, lol :)

This is my first actual off-season, after actually getting a few rounds of golf in, so it's pretty new to me and I'm pretty excited to get back out there after practicing my putting, and getting a few rounds in on the Simulator.

No issue at all

If that's the case congrats. Most people it's the opposite where they ended the season well and weren't able to keep up with it so they shoot a few strokes above theirs.

If you know you put in the time and effort to get better, you shouldn't worry about it, which is probably easier said than done. If you'll never see them again, their thinking is too bad for them. If you'll see them around the course/club again, they'll see your improvement carrying over throughout the year.

That's a big concern. Another issue I see with the handicap system is the fact that you can't submit a solo round any longer - it may take you a lot longer to get enough rounds in with partners to be able to accurately note your new lower handicap. That's going to be an issue for me already.

You know that golfer named "John Doe" ... I play with him all the time and he is a great ball striker and has about a 3 handicap. He has to give me strokes. Seems like I play with him all the time now, his scores are always posted with mine. :bananadance:

Art, didn't we play together at Red Tail? Maybe I can use you and O'Carroll as references to how bad I sucked, if I'm accused of anything...lol. (Again.....none of this even matters if I still suck come April, lol)
We did play with Art at Red Tail, and I didn't think you sucked at all.

Handicaps are a funny thing. I hear people all the time complain that they are too high, or too low, and never right on the money. As long as it is an honest handicap, and you are true to yourself and your game, who cares what other people think of it?

I usually don't care what anyone thinks, but because I'm joining a brand new league and I'm already committed to subbing the first 2 weeks of my buddies league, I'd hate for the first impression people get of me is being "that guy" weather warranted or not.

Anytime you are shooting better than your cap somebody somewhere is calling you a sandbagger, its just the way it is.

I'm playing better than my cap of late but its the off season so they don't count. Plus its LCP which helps quite a bit here in the winter.

I'd say say pay no mind to that add just play your game. It can work both ways, for you or against you, and people will always have something to say whatever happens.

Just play your game, and have fun.

Back