Ask Your Shaft Question

Shaft companies have the ability to create some super light shafts, as seen by Fujikura and their 29.5g driver shaft. Do you see this becoming more the norm in the next few years? Or is it too difficult to produce a shaft that light that is both strong enough to keep from breaking, as well as give a decent dispersion?

We hear the term "high spin" a lot and sometimes we hear that the shaft profile is a determining factor. What attributes associated with the shaft contribute to spin? Is it torque? Kick point? Stiffness? How do shaft attributes contribute to spin?

JM

What the most important factor when fitting a shaft to an individual?

Flex, Profile, or Feel? Something else?

What goes into a $350 driver shaft that is not in an $80 shaft

When you make a "made for" shaft for an OEM, why is there a stigma that it is not as good as a retail version of the same shaft?
Along the same token,

If a "made-for" shaft is perceived as inferior why do the shaft manufacturers allow them to be named and look identical to a superior product?

With the advances in graphite and the ability to change things around compared to steel will we see a change to graphite being the shaft material ones steel? Will the price of graphite shafts come down as popularity gies up?

My question is about shafts for wedges: Should more players consider putting the same shaft they have in their irons into their wedges, especially wedges they use for full swings? Would there be benefits? Are wedge flex shafts closer to stiff or regular?

Why do some shafts cost so much more than others? What goes into them.

Who don't OEMs allow more options for stock shafts?

What are the biggest golf shaft myths?

What is the difference between spine aligning, FLO and SST Pure?
With the high manufacturing standards of today's shafts, is this even necessary?
Will a weekend golfer see any benefits? And what with the adjustable driver, the shaft alignment changes with each setting anyway?
What matters most - weight, profile and stiffness? There are shafts that "feel" right and others that do not. What would contribute to that the most?

What benefit does soft stepping a shaft give you?

How are the shaft properties effected if I trim the butt vs the tip?

Does Don still have nightmares about Chump Fries?

How much difference is there in flex between the major OEMs?

What constitutes a high, mid, low spin shaft? What are the spin differences between them?

Why is there no universal flex code or standard between lines let alone manufacturers?

My biggest question in terms of shaft is:

What plays a bigger role in ball flight (height/launch) shaft properties or driver head properties?

What should a high handicapper look for in comparing stock and aftermarket driver shafts?
How much does grip size matter when being fitted for a driver/shaft?

How if at all does low torque or high torque effect the ball either on spin of flight?

Is torque completely over thought by armatures when considering a shaft?

Do you want to see an industry standard for flex and is the current L,A,R,S,X,XX rating giving the consumer enough information when deciding on a shaft?

With steel and graphite being the materials used in shaft production, what other materials or technology are you looking at?

Do you think more pros will play graphite over steel in their irons within the next few years? Why or why not?

Good stuff guys.
I will say that quite a few of these can be answered in THP TV episodes and on the forum, but that doesnt mean we cannot ask the expert again.

Keep them coming.

Has there been any effort by the industry to standardize shaft measurements with regard to flex and torque?

Boy, it's clear to me that I need to read a lot about shafts in general prior to next month's trip to UST. Had no idea there was this much tech involved. :)

Considering how many shaft manufacturers there are and how many different models they each produce even qualified fitters seem to home in on one or two shaft manufacturers when they make their recommendations. How are the average players ever supposed to know they have the best shaft for them???

The time required for research and cost is enormous. I think this is why the industry as a whole needs some standards. Is it possible?????

Considering how many shaft manufacturers there are and how many different models they each produce even qualified fitters seem to home in on one or two shaft manufacturers when they make their recommendations. How are the average players ever supposed to know they have the best shaft for them???

in the few fittings i've been to, i have experienced this as well. i think it's a few different factors, none of which i actually know anything concrete about.

1- becoming a certified dealer. if it was that easy, everyone would qualify. i don't know what it entails, but there must be some restrictions or other hoops to jump through, otherwise every fitter would rep every brand.

2- inventory management. i think this is one of the biggest factors. my fitter told me he has to pay a certain amount up front for every product in his store. that ain't cheap, so while it would be great for us as consumers if they had every flex and every weight with every adapter for every shaft manufacturer under the sun, it's not possible.

3- time is money. the most i've paid for a full fitting is $250. if we were to try dozens of different combinations, that could balloon into a full day together. i don't know about you, but i can't keep my business running AND feed my family on $250 a day. so i would think they need to get a certain number of customers in and out to make enough money to keep the lights on. that very likely means seeing initial numbers and based on experience homing in on 2-3 options, rather than trying everything in the store.

Do you want to see an industry standard for flex and is the current L,A,R,S,X,XX rating giving the consumer enough information when deciding on a shaft?

This is along the lines of what I wanted to ask.

Would shaft manufacturers be willing to accept one standard test to determine shaft specs so consumers could easily shop amongst different manufacturers when looking to purchase a shaft.

What don't shaft companies have an online tool that allows me to enter my current driver, along with it's loft, along with my launch monitor numbers and have you spit out a 2-3 shaft options to optimize my distance/dispersion?

Back